4Sevens Quark 123-2 - problem with barrel thread length

brucebo

Newly Enlightened
I excitedly received my Quark 123-2 in the mail today. Unfortunately I discovered that it apparently is mechanically defective. It initially appeared to work fine, but when I turned the barrel around to reverse the clip it no longer worked at all. The problem is the thread depth on the "non-clip" end of the barrel is shorter than the thread depth on the clip end. When I screw the clicky switch/tail cap onto the non-clip end (yes I screwed it all the way to the stop) it does not make electrical contact. When I removed the switch/tail cap and used a paper clip the unit "worked" fine. Re-reversing the barrel caused the light to work again. The clip end is 9.55 mm from end of barrel to stop. The non-clip end is 8.99 mm from barrel end to stop. The problem is the threaded section of the non-clip end is too short. I have close up pictures with a caliper, but this forum apparently won't let me post attachments <Update: See photos further in this thread. -BB> . When I try to insert an image, it asks me for a URL.

For the working case, the instructions say to rotate the bezel half a turn to engage the "moonlight" mode. In my case if the bezel is anything other than "hard tight" then the light is in the moonlight track. To reliably insure I get full power I have to turned the bezel down to the stop, and then give it some extra torque. This may also be due to the fact that in the "working" mode the bezel gets the "short end of the stick" so to speak.

Bruce Bowen

Last edited:

burntoshine

Enlightened
Re: 4Sevens Quark 123-2 Negative Review

When I try to insert an image, it asks me for a URL.

you need to host your picture on a site like photobucket. you just sign up, upload the picture and copy where it says "direct link" on your picture, then paste where CPF asks for the URL. it's super easy. just make sure your picture is 800x800 max.

sorry to hear about your light. i had a defective light recently. i returned it and they sent me a new one. you should contact where you bought it. they should replace the light or maybe just the defective part, at least.

sol-leks

Flashlight Enthusiast

Imageshack is good too.

47's is a very trusted vendor. I am confident that they will resolve the matter for you if you bring it up with them.

What can you do, sometimes these things happen.
Let us know though how it turns out. Customer service experiences are important too.

carrot

Flashaholic

I'm sorry to hear that you are dissatisfied. You should take advantage of 4sevens' excellent customer service. I have no doubt they will try to make things right.

shawn a.

Newly Enlightened

Let's see, I recently got one of these lights.
If you look at the barrel section after you've unscrewed both the reflector (head) and the tail cap (switch), you'll see a ring with grooves in it (it's on the end where the clip has the 4/7 logo) Make sure that ring is screwed down tightly--you can start to unscrew that ring, but it doesn't seem to come off, it just exposes the snap-ring part of the clip. I just unscrewed mine a bit, and the light wouldn't work. Good luck
Shawn A.

monkeyboy

Flashlight Enthusiast

I've had some issues with my quark lights too.

Quark 2 x 123 Ti XP-G R5. Has a noticeable PWM like flicker on moon low and medium. This is definitely a fault as other CPFers have not noticed this.

Quark 18650 XP-G R5 (low V head). Has a missing moon mode - has no output where moon mode should be.

I'm sure 4sevens customer service is excellent but it's simply not worth me sending them back as the delivery charge is too high for the UK and I get hit with import duty every time.
That's 2 out of 2 lights with issues.

pobox1475

Enlightened

monkeyboy why not call them to possibly troubleshoot? I have two Quarks that function fine and a Ti Mini AA on the way. Because of the ability to disassemble the lights into more parts than most others leaves potential issues to be had if everything is not clean, lubed nicely and aligned properly IMO.

bigdukesix

Banned

I excitedly received my Quark 123-2 in the mail today. Unfortunately I discovered that it apparently is mechanically defective. It initially appeared to work fine, but when I turned the barrel around to reverse the clip it no longer worked at all. The problem is the thread depth on the "non-clip" end of the barrel is shorter than the thread depth on the clip end. When I screw the clicky switch/tail cap onto the non-clip end (yes I screwed it all the way to the stop) it does not make electrical contact. When I removed the switch/tail cap and used a paper clip the unit "worked" fine. Re-reversing the barrel caused the light to work again. The clip end is 9.55 mm from end of barrel to stop. The non-clip end is 8.99 mm from barrel end to stop. The problem is the threaded section of the non-clip end is too short. I have close up pictures with a caliper, but this forum apparently won't let me post attachments. When I try to insert an image, it asks me for a URL.

For the working case, the instructions say to rotate the bezel half a turn to engage the "moonlight" mode. In my case if the bezel is anything other than "hard tight" then the light is in the moonlight track. To reliably insure I get full power I have to turned the bezel down to the stop, and then give it some extra torque. This may also be due to the fact that in the "working" mode the bezel gets the "short end of the stick" so to speak.

Bruce Bowen

Mine works the same way with the HARD RIGHT - Is that a problem?
Should it really have to be at hard right??

Tony

brucebo

Newly Enlightened

Let's see, I recently got one of these lights.
If you look at the barrel section after you've unscrewed both the reflector (head) and the tail cap (switch), you'll see a ring with grooves in it (it's on the end where the clip has the 4/7 logo) Make sure that ring is screwed down tightly--you can start to unscrew that ring, but it doesn't seem to come off, it just exposes the snap-ring part of the clip. I just unscrewed mine a bit, and the light wouldn't work. Good luck
Shawn A.

Thanks Shawn, but if you read my message carefully you'll see that the problem is with the "non-clip" end. The clip-end is fine and yes, the ring that holds the clip is screwed down tight over the clip.

Mine works the same way with the HARD RIGHT - Is that a problem?
Should it really have to be at hard right??

Tony

Unclear, but as an engineer, I prefer to have some "headroom" or margin in any mechanical setting.

Here are the photos of the barrel ends of the flashlight:

Clip end of the barrel:

quark123-2a.jpg

Non-clip end of the barrel:

quark123-2b.jpg

-Bruce

Last edited:

Elliot

Newly Enlightened

Bruce, great pictures: it's pretty obvious that you're missing a thread (or the lip) on the "non-clip end." Send customer service an email with the two pics. They are busy this time of year. I'm also waiting a return. If you're out of the country then explain about high shipping charges. I wouldn't expect any problems with 4sevens service. Your pictures really tells the complete story.

Elliot

Last edited:

bigdukesix

Banned

One has to wonder about QC here - seems it should have been caught in about 10 different steps, I would think twice about another quark after seeing that.

Easy to criticize in this day and age, but the pic speaks for itself

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast

With the pictures, I am sure David at 4sevens will send you a new barrel. That would eliminate the shipping times and if you have import fees, they should not be too high on a aluminum tube. Good luck!

jackthedog

Newly Enlightened

Definitely contact their CS. They have always been responsive and extremely helpful. I have nothing but good things to say.

Hope it gets sorted out.

Budman231

Enlightened

The guys at 47s will take care of this I'm sure. Give them a chance.

I think before people write a "Negative Review" and broadcast it to the entire community, they should try to work with the company to fix the situation. Bringing it to the attention of others is cool, but to go as far as a negative review seems a bit heavy. :poke:

These are not hand made lights and are not all the pricey. There should be a resonable expectation when it comes to perfection in the manufacturing process of lights like this. It happens, no worries.

They will probably ship you a new tube and you will be all set.

Bud

recDNA

Flashaholic

The guys at 47s will take care of this I'm sure. Give them a chance.

I think before people write a "Negative Review" and broadcast it to the entire community, they should try to work with the company to fix the situation. Bringing it to the attention of others is cool, but to go as far as a negative review seems a bit heavy. :poke:

These are not hand made lights and are not all the pricey. There should be a resonable expectation when it comes to perfection in the manufacturing process of lights like this. It happens, no worries.

They will probably ship you a new tube and you will be all set.

Bud

I think it's best to report problems then come BACK to report solutions. If a company has great customer service but half of their flashlights are defective upon arrival that is well worth knowing - wouldn't you agree?

As for 4sevens everything I've purchased from them has been perfect from day one to now. My only complaint to customer service was on a Fenix twisty that the head fell off and I lost. My fault. I should have called them about the loose head BEFORE I lost it.

DM51

Flashaholic

This is a good thread, and the OP has gone about it in exactly the right way (btw, welcome to CPF, brucebo).

It is perfectly in order to report matters like this. It may of course be a completely isolated problem which no-one else has encountered. However if through this thread other people realise they have a similar problem, it will have helped to draw people's attention to a production defect. If no-one ever reported such things, none of us would ever learn about any problem that needed fixing. Threads like this are potentially among the most useful on CPF, provided the discussion remains civil, as it has here.

I'm sure that as others say, 4sevens will act quickly to rectify this problem.

brucebo, in case you don't know, he has his own sub-forum here on CPFMarketplace, where you would be able to contact him. You'll need to register in the MP separately if you have not already done so.

JaguarDave-in-Oz

Enlightened

I think before people write a "Negative Review" and broadcast it to the entire community, they should try to work with the company to fix the situation.
Surely one can review a product and show a negative result as a separate issue from reviewing a company's Customer Service Department showing a positive result to resolve a problem with that product?

To me the resolution of faults is a separate issue to the performance of the product itself. The fault resolution processes are merely a backup (or surely should be?) to Quality Control processes on the product itself and I believe it's quite proper to treat them separately in the review process.

As a buyer of products I am very pleased to see public reports of failures and faults with products before those issues are dealt with or the customers mollified by intervention of a company's customer service people's fault resolution processes. It gives me a picture of the product which is far mor eimportant to me than having a picture of the company. Yes, I'm aware that not all people view things this way.

I'm very happy that there are companies that I deal with that display excellent customer focus for those rare occasions when there are faults and failures with the products they supply but I personally regard customer service fault resolution to be a secondary issue to the actual supply, quality and performance of the product itself and reports of problems with the actual products should not be sanitised.

DM51

Flashaholic
Surely one can review a product and show a negative result as a separate issue from reviewing a company's Customer Service Department showing a positive result to resolve a problem with that product?
Budman's point was that the phrase "negative review" was perhaps not the best phrase to use in the thread title. I agreed with him, and I changed the thread title.

It is good to see that 4sevens has responded positively to this thread and will be sending a replacement part.

Latest posts