Maglite 3D P7 Mod Question

chris95

Newly Enlightened
Hey people
I read much about maglite mods and wanted to mod my one too.
So I ordered this on dx: sku.14413
And I hope that it fits in the 3D maglite.So what do i need to mod it?
I wanted to make it with the original 3 Batteries = 4,5V and dx says this would work.
So am I crazy? :p
What do I need?
A heatsink? A new lense?

cu

saltytri

Enlightened
Chris:

That is one big question. Actually, several big questions. Try using the "search" function beginning with a search on "14413." There is an awful lot of information on Mag mods ranging from minor improvements that can be done with hand tools to all-out efforts that require machine tools and a pretty solid knowledge of electronics. You might want to try one of the simpler mods first to get grounded in the techniques.

Welcome, and enjoy!

allburger

Enlightened
As far as battery supply goes, you are correct that you are in the "specified voltage range." One problem...You will never hit the amperage range that will make this light do what it is intended to do.

Alkaline batteries can not deliver more than about 1 amp, at that point, the voltage of the battery "sags". Alkalines are not high current batteries.

On a positive note, NiMh batteries are able to deliver the current. Rechargeable batteries are rated at 1.2v, or 3.6v when you have 3 of them your Mag 3D, and they will be able to deliver the 2.8 amps required to drive this to 900 lumens.

If you run this off of alkalines, you will see about 200 lumens Max!

It is well worth your efforts to purchase the rechargeablbes and a charger, you wont ever buy batteries for it again, and you will be able to blind your friends from a mile away.

This "drop-in" module is not a perfect match for the Mag 3D. The problem is heat. This LED will put off a ton of heat and the only way of not killing it within the first 20 minutes is to channel the heat through the whole light. On this kind of high heat application, unlike a computer, we don't use fans, or anything to cool.

Your hand will absorb a lot of the heat, but the heatsink must be in contact with the sidewalls of the light.

I recommend searching for 14413 in the search box and looking at how people are doing this in the "3C" sized maglite. It will require slight sanding of the brass heatsink, but it will be snug to the body.

For another $20 for the light, its well worth it, considering that the LED module cost more then that.

The 3C with this module can be regarded as the lowest cost P7 Mag build.

Good Luck.

chris95

Newly Enlightened
Thx People lovecpf
Okay I think I´m now gonna use the Nimh batteries and wait

Good idea. I now think I have to buy D Nimh batteries. But where to buy?
In Germany you can buy one battery for 17$. So 51$ for all 3...thats more then the flashlight...So where to buy them cheap?

About the heat:
You'd have to bore out the head and cut away the plastic switch / bulb holder then sort out some electrical contacts.

It can be done but its certainly not a drop in mod sort of job.

So I think it could be done...