• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Want to buy more, but need instructions

LightChucker

Enlightened
Wayne,

So far, all I have been able to buy from you is the brass button and plastic clip to be used on my McLux. Beyond that, I am lost. I would like to buy some of your DIY parts, and try doing some mods, but I can't find "first base".

I realize that I am asking you to do a lot of work here, but I am asking for this so that I might be able to spend more money buying your parts. So, the result should be mutually profitable. Since I suspect that I am not the only newby out here who would appreciate this, I will refer to us in the plural "we":

1) We need some kind of "fundamentals" document to explain all the terminology. Words that would be new to the novice need to be explained including where they are located on the parts. For example, "anode"/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thinking.gif , what is it and where is it? Concepts, such as "current boost"/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thinking.gif etc. need explaining.

2) We need something like a cross reference of which parts that can be used together, and then which flashlights they can be used in.

3) We need a cross reference of pros/cons of various part configurations.

4) We need to be able to read detailed instructions on how to assemble the various parts into a flashlight.

5) We need to know where we can find any special supplies like epoxies and lubricants that are required.

Anyway, "we" sure would like to try some of these mods ourselves, but "we" need more information.

Is there already a link that contains all this?
Are you currently working on them?

Thanks,

Chuck /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/poke2.gif

kakster

Flashlight Enthusiast
Im the last person you want to be asking these questions, but seeing as noone else has tried, ill give it a go...

1) Anode is the negative contact, could be the one on the board or the one on the LED. Anode = -tive , cathode is the +tive (might have them the wrong way round, been a few yrs since i did this in school).
Current boost id assume would be referring to the board. I think this takes place when the batteries start to get too depleted to power the LED to spec.

2) Try the following thread, as it has a table of all the possible LED, Board and Cell configurations.

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=TheSandwichShoppe&Number=256040&page=1&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=&fpart=1

There is also a PDF document floating around with detailed instructions on how to put together a McLux. try looking on the sandwhich shoppe site for this. If you cant find it, i have it, and would be happy to zip it up and email it to you.
As to which flashlights they can be used in, i believe most of the modules/boards are made to fit in a AA minimag or McLux. Of course, you can always adapt the various components to fit other flashlights if you have the nessecary skills/machinery.

3) Yep, we do, and i think the only way we will get this is from user feedback.

4)There is a guide on the sandwhiche shoppe site for the MiniMag dropin modules, and as i mentioned before, a PDF manual for building a McLux

5) Your best bet for thermal epoxies is probably your local computer hardware store. As for lubricants, try electrical stores (im in england, so i dont know who stocks what in the US, but ive found silver conductive lube from a place called maplins)

Disclaimer : I must 'fess up to being a total newb to all this too. I havent made any mods myself (unless you count destroying 2 perfectly fine SL keymates for their clips to mount on my ARC AAA), and am currently waiting for delivery of a DIY McLux kit.

Any of you seasoned mod-vets out there, feel free to chime in and point out where i may have gotten it totally wrong /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

jcciv

Newly Enlightened
Please send me the instructions. My email address is in my bio section. I have tried to download it from the Sandwich Shoppe, but I always get a 404 error.

I too have ordered the parts for a DIY McLux and am eagerly awaiting their arrival.

Thanks,

John

kakster

Flashlight Enthusiast
Email sent.

It was 6k too large for hotmail...how annoying is that?
Had to use a different email service.

dat2zip

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sorry, I put the documentation back online. The link should work now.

shankus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Cathode is Negative, Anode is Positive. The way to remember, is that a Cathode Ray Tube of a television, is an electron gun. Electrons are, of course, negative.

LightChucker

Enlightened
Hey guys, thanks for all the responses.

This gives me an idea. I think I am going to open a thread that asks for detailed instructions on ANY homemade project you have tried.

Chuck