Will Trustfire 16340s fit in the Quark mini123?

awid

Newly Enlightened
I read somewhere that due to their larger size they don't fit.

I'm just curious because I'll just grab some AW's if they don't.

Last edited:

ergotelis

Enlightened
Re: Will Trustfire 16340s fit in the Quark 123?

I posted in the big thread:
-they do not fit, the PROTECTED trustfire/ultrafire ones.
-Unprotected do fit.
-AW batteries fit (a bit tight though) but you have to be careful not to overheat the flashlight.

awid

Newly Enlightened

-AW batteries fit (a bit tight though) but you have to be careful not to overheat the flashlight.

Thanks. Is this why people are suggesting you don't use Li-Ion batteries or those over 3V?

edit: Do you own the iTP A1 also?

Last edited:

HKJ

Flashaholic

I posted in the big thread:
-they do not fit, the PROTECTED trustfire/ultrafire ones.
-Unprotected do fit.

Are you talking about Quark 123 or Quark mini 123 and is the questions about Quark 123 or Mini 123?

My Quark 123 does not have any problems with AW, but I do not have any other 16340 to check with.

awid

Newly Enlightened

Are you talking about Quark 123 or Quark mini 123 and is the questions about Quark 123 or Mini 123?

My Quark 123 does not have any problems with AW, but I do not have any other 16340 to check with.

I meant the mini. Thanks for pointing that out I specified the title now.

ergotelis

Enlightened

Ops, i just took notice of that misclarification, i mean quarkMini123 , not quark 123. I answered without clarifing this because Mini is nowadays on fire!
I don't know about classic quark123.
I have a lot of 16340, from the most junk to the best AW. Only AW fit and unprotected ones 16340.

Thanks. Is this why people are suggesting you don't use Li-Ion batteries or those over 3V?

edit: Do you own the iTP A1 also?

No, i don't have an iTP, but i suppose to check it out if 16340 will fit in A1, because this light is short too and there might be no fit.
4sevens , the manufacturer, is suggesting not to use any battery over 3V. This is because led will drain more current, more heat and you might damage it, the flashlight is rather small to heatsink the led well. Of course, output with a 3,7V battery will be higher. You can take the risk, as i do, but you have to be careful not to use the flashlight for more than 5-10min on high,till it gets hot.

MS3

Newly Enlightened

I have the mini123 and the ITP A1.

The protected trustfire 16340's will only fit in the ITP A1 and these are the cells I am presently using. These cells do not fit the mini123 ( as previously stated ).

The difference is if you look inside the battery tube for the mini123 there is a raised ridge around the perimeter of the tail end. This allows the necessary amount of material in the area of the lanyard/ring mount hole. The ITP A1 has the inside tail end of the battery tube milled flat as it has a protruding lanyard/ring mount.

Others have suggested trimming the spring to ride in the center of the deeper area in the center of the mini123 battery tube. This would give you a little more length for the battery as the fully compressed spring would be entirely in the deeper center area, but this is not enough to make up for the entire difference in battery length. Also, it makes the spring more susceptable to falling out - not good in the dark.

I use Battery Station RCR123A rechargeables in the mini123, but as others have stated, you have to pay attention to the temperature on high mode - low and medium seem fine. These Battery Station cells are the same length as a normal CR123A non-rechargeable. Battery Station also has great customer service in my experience as I had a problem with one cell in my most recent order which they quickly replaced. They have a CPF discount too. Here's there latest discount page:
http://www.batterystation.com/cpf5.htm

strinq

Enlightened

I have the mini123 and the ITP A1.

Hi there. Not many here have both lights so would like to know in your case, is the mini much brighter than the ITP A1?

In another thread, a cpf-er said it was slightly brighter.

MS3

Newly Enlightened

Hi there. Not many here have both lights so would like to know in your case, is the mini much brighter than the ITP A1?

In another thread, a cpf-er said it was slightly brighter.

I can only give you a subjective opinion on the performance of the two lights:

The mini123 hotpsot is about the same brightness as the ITP A1, but the mini's is larger by about 10 to 15% due to the XPG-R5 led ( same brand battery, both freshly charged ). The spill area is basically the same in size and brightness to my eyes:duh2:

I also prefer the tint of the mini ( a little greener ) than the A1 ( a little bluer ). Both tints are perfectly usable - nothing bordering on freaky.

richardcpf

Flashlight Enthusiast
Unprotected 123 cells have the same size as a primary, protected cells are 2mm longer

HarveyRich

Enlightened
Very strange. Could there be variation in the tube sizes within or across batches? I have the first batch of MiNi123s, as I pre-ordered. My gray protected Trustfires work fine it it. There is no tightness, nor is there a problem twisting into high. They just work perfectly?

psychbeat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just curious if anyone has blown up their mini w an RCR?
I just got mine and am STOKED on it but might mess around
bursting for a few min w an RCR:huh:
wish they made a full on headlamp version of it w two
r5s ;)
saving for the 4sevens SST90
especially if they make a clear ano one!:paypal::paypal::paypal:

Elliot

Newly Enlightened
Trustfire 16340's come in at least two lengths. I have 4, two short and two long. The short ones fit the MiNi 123 perfectly. The shorter ones that I own have their positive end almost completely covered by the gray wrapper.

hyperloop

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a trustfire 16340 in my warm mini 123 and its working fine, not sure if its the short one or the long one but will check it out later when i get home.

I also have soshine unprotected 16340s which are the only ones that will fit my EX10 (havent tried any of AW's) and will definitely fit in my mini 123.