Best way to mod a Surefire for more power?

Brasso

Flashlight Enthusiast
I know next to nothing about incandescent lights. What would be the best way to mod a 6P for more output?

Is there a good drop-in bulb that can get 200 lumen? Best battery configuration? Run time?

Niconical

Enlightened
For a 6P to get more power the most obvious choice would be 2xRCR123A and a P90 lamp from a 9P.

For more, 2x IMR16340 and a P91 lamp for some wow factor.

You can also use a 17670 battery and a 3.7v lamp (from LumensFactory) but that doesn't increase output (maybe a little), but it does make it rechargeable. NOTE: LumensFactory lumens are measured differently to Surefire lumens, so those apparently high output numbers on the LF lamps are not a direct comparison to the Surefire P60.

All 3 battery types available here.

nfetterly

Flashlight Enthusiast
For more, 2x IMR16340 and a P91 lamp for some wow factor.

That is one of my favorites!

I also like the custom FM/Carley 1794 that Nite had a second run made of, that goes into the custom FM holder - but the P91 is alot easier route.

The AW 3 level soft start switch that goes into the surefire tail is a nice upgrade as well (this turns it into a "soft clicky" - it doesn't really click - but push / release moves it on & between levels - it will take the high amperage). Available from AW and on lighthound.com (it's about $50 for the switch guts).

Brasso

Flashlight Enthusiast
So the factory surefire tailcap won't work with a P91 and the 16340's? Even the twisty/momentary switch? What's the runtime like with this setup? What's this FM holder?

If I decided to go this route, would 2 IMR18650's run the P91 OK?

Last edited:

Inliner

Newly Enlightened
Yes, factory 6P tailswitch will work. Clicky switches cannot. Runtime will be less than 10 min and it will get very hot.

ampdude

Flashlight Enthusiast
Surefire clicky switches have always worked fine with the Surefire P91 and always will. I don't know what clicky switches you guys are referring to, or what you are talking about at all. Perhaps some cheap aftermarket clickies, like the type sold on Ebay and Dealextreme. But I don't know of anyone who has ever had trouble with a Surefire P91 and a Z48/Z49 or Z58/Z59 switch, I certainly have not.

kramer5150

Flashaholic
you should be aware that run times will be very short with the 2xIMR16340 cells on a P91, like 10 minutes. Plus the voltage sag under load will prevent you form getting full output from that P91.

You should also be aware of the fire/safety hazards running a 2x Lithium cell setup at high current draw, and depleting them into cell reversal. You are basically WAY over 1C (discharge/capacity). That combined with excessive discharge into cell reversal can increase the likelihood of a fire/vent incident.

My suggestion would be to get the 6P bored for an 18650, add a solarforce 1x18650 extension and 2xIMR18650. That plants you in the ~400L+ range with longer run times.

You might also want to consider a P90 + 2xIMR18650 setup. If your goal is ~200L, the P91 is overkill at the expense of run time. Of course theres always the M60W, which will get you just over 200L With all the benefits of a warm tinted LED.... but that discussion is for the other forum.

Last edited:

ICUDoc

Enlightened
you should be aware that run times will be very short with the 2xIMR16340 cells on a P91, like 10 minutes. Plus the voltage sag under load will prevent you form getting full output from that P91.

You should also be aware of the fire/safety hazards running a 2x Lithium cell setup at high current draw. You are basically WAY over 1C (discharge/capacity), which can be very dangerous.

I think the IMR cells are easily capable of this current draw.

n2deep

Newly Enlightened

You should also be aware of the fire/safety hazards running a 2x Lithium cell setup at high current draw. You are basically WAY over 1C (discharge/capacity), which can be very dangerous.

My suggestion would be to get the 6P bored for an 18650, add a solarforce 1x18650 extension and 2xIMR18650. That plants you in the ~400L+ range with longer run times.

You might also want to consider a P90 + 2xIMR18650 setup. If your goal is ~200L, the P91 is overkill at the expense of run time. Of course theres always the M60W, which will get you just over 200L With all the benefits of a warm tinted LED.... but that discussion is for the other forum.

I think the IMR cells are easily capable of this current draw.

Well guys what is it? I was thinking about trying this. Can I safely run a 6P w/ the P91 on 2 IMR16340 cells? I have a love/hate relationship with this forum. I love all the wonderful info but every time I get on here it cost me. Oh well i'm a flashaholic!! :D

c0t0d0s0

Enlightened
Surefire clicky switches have always worked fine with the Surefire P91 and always will. I don't know what clicky switches you guys are referring to, or what you are talking about at all. Perhaps some cheap aftermarket clickies, like the type sold on Ebay and Dealextreme. But I don't know of anyone who has ever had trouble with a Surefire P91 and a Z48/Z49 or Z58/Z59 switch, I certainly have not.

Additionally, contrary to popular belief, my Z58 clicky has a lower internal resistance than a Z41 twisty. Yes it runs just fine with a P91 and IMR cells.

FlashKat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes you can run this safely. Just short runtime.
Well guys what is it? I was thinking about trying this. Can I safely run a 6P w/ the P91 on 2 IMR16340 cells? I have a love/hate relationship with this forum. I love all the wonderful info but every time I get on here it cost me. Oh well i'm a flashaholic!! :D

kramer5150

Flashaholic

n2deep

Newly Enlightened
Thank you Kramer for clarifying this. I need the most humanly possible LUMENS that I can get. :devil:

Latest posts