Your favorite hosts that remain upgradable?

GarageBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Besides P60 based lights, what other lights allow reasonable access to the light engine/LED for upgrades?

kramer5150

Flashaholic
C/D mags
Lowes task force
I modded this Ultrafire C2 very easily. Although my particular host had a bad switch contact that needed extensive mods to get it running consistently.
dscn6120.jpg

Last edited:

kelmo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would have to say the 9P. I currently have 2. One with a Lumens Factory EO-9 and one with a KT2/A19/MN60/Z58. I have also used P60L, M60W and BOG Cree drop-ins.

GarageBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, I was thinking more of lights that have screw out pills like the old McGizmo E Cans and the fireflies with the Sandwiches

jcvjcvjcvjcv

Enlightened
D Maglites.

The 3D can take almost any config. 9xAA, 12xAA, 3xD, 3x18650, 4x C
:hitit:

I have two of them (Green with DD P7 CxxxI bin on 3x D NiMh and Black with WA1185 on 9xAA in FM holder). Getting one more for another P7 I think.

But the 2D is nicer to handle if you only want a light. 2D with 2x18650 with P7 and Der Wichtel driver makes a nice light with normal batteries that can be charged with a $15 charger (2009 $). And with 90 minutes on high still nice I would say.

Last edited:

old4570

Flashlight Enthusiast
Most lights are upgradable depending on the effort you wish to invest .

Some can be as simple as a emitter swap , or driver swap .
Others may need a complete re-design , and a well tooled machine shop .

Nake

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like the Nuwai QIIIs. It's reflector will work with any type of LED I've tried. The stock board works with RCRs, plus there is a FLuPIC sized for it. The switch can be resistored into a two step and there are custom heatsinks that deal with the heat better than the stock tube sink.

mitro

Newly Enlightened
Dereelight is one of my favorites, not only for the throw of the DBS, but the interchangeability.

carrot

Flashaholic
Big fan of the McLux PD. It is highly upgradeable, seeing as its internal components are easily removable and not potted, as well as being available separately (the reflector and regulator are available from the Shoppe).

NutSAK

Flashlight Enthusiast
Elektrolumens Blasters. I use the 2 D-cell and 1 D-cell versions around the house, and they're the toughest "tool" lights I've ever used. There is plenty of room for upgrades inside. I'm currently running SSC P4 stars (USVOH) in all of mine, driven by 500mA micropucks.

Locoboy5150

Flashlight Enthusiast
My vote is for C and D cell incandescent Maglites. They are cheap and their aluminum body and head parts are fairly well made and durable, so they can handle a lot of abuse. They are also, hands down, the most popular flashlights for modifications so off the shelf upgrade parts are widely available as is advice about just about any kind of modification that one can dream up. There are also countless articles out there from previous modders with detailed step by step instructions on what they did to their Maglites.

Oh, and this is the real kicker, C and D cell incandescent Maglites are dirt cheap! You can hack away at them without worrying about messing up because for just a few more bucks and a trip to just about any hardware or general store, you can get another brand new one to work on again.