Duty Light help

tapout1003

Newly Enlightened
Hi all

I've been lurking for a while but now I find myself pretty confused. I can honestly say I don't know much about flashlights. I own a Surefire Backup and a G2. In the past I owned a Stramlight HP. I can say the output on my backup seems better than it was on the Streamlight.

I'm looking for a duty light. I have searched the previous threads and still came up with some questions. Here are my wants.

Strobe
Rechargeable
150 lumens or more
$200.00 or under
Tailcap switch

I'm fine with buying a light and making minor mods. Drop in stuff would be ok. I'm not looking to rewire anything. I'm still in the academy and I'd like to buy within the next couple of weeks. Any advice will be great.

Thanks
CD

Last edited:

hyperloop

Flashlight Enthusiast
Howabout a Jetbeam Jet III Military? It has 2 modes, 1st mode is max at about 225 lumens and the 2nd mode (activated by loosening the head slightly) is programmable, so you can have it set on strobe (from slow to fast is also programmable) or at a lower level. If you prefer a 3 mode Jetbeam that changes modes using the tailcap switch, you might want to take a look at the Jet III Pro ST. Both these lights are available at bugoutgear.com

If you arent too keen on twisting the head to switch modes, you might want to consider an Olight M30

Rocketman

Enlightened
Hi there tapout. I would recommend the Streamlight Polystinger LED but mine died after about a month of duty working in my prison. The switch circuit failed.

However, my Strion LED is still working perfectly, I suppose I can recommend that, it emits 160 lumens on high, has three brightness levels, is rechargeable. It's quite nice, not the 200 lumens that I would like but uses the lithium ion batter technology. It's my duty light, I'm a C.O. in a prison. Not as cool as your job.

I can recommend the Surefires although their only rechargeables are incandescent lights.

OfficerCamp

Enlightened
CD,
I've been using a Surefire C2 ($100 used) with a single mode (I call it "the sun") Nailbender SST-50 Drop in (about $60). Pick up an Ultrafire charger ($15) and a couple of AW 17670s ($20) for rechargables (Also carry a bunch of 123s for backup). It will give you a phoenominal ammount of beautiful, floody light, and you can use your E1B for lower output scenarios, and don't worry about the strobe, although I believe Dave can make a multi-mode drop for you with strobe.
Good luck in the academy brother, don't let your FTO's get away with messing with you too much!
OC

Alberta-Blue

Newly Enlightened
You can also look at one of ElectronGuru's custom bored options in the Custom B/S/T section of the board.

I will chime in and agree with officercamp in saying that the C2 is an awsome light and bored out and combo'd with a AW 18650/26, a Malkoff M30 and an SS Bezel... AWSOME... Love it. Great light for LE work.

There are also plenty of other options over there that ElectronGuru has for hosts and different combos that you can set up for your needs. PM him if you need to with your requirements (personally I would drop the strobe... I havent found much use for it) and he will help get you set-up with what you need.

Stay Safe

Alberta-Blue :cool:

tapout1003

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for all the input guys. I'll be checking the boards for a custom C2 and a M30.

Arnulf

Enlightened
A 3 or 4D maglite with a Malkoff drop in with a crenelated bezel and a glass breaker cap. :)