Surefire gun metal finish surface hardness?

Screehopper

Enlightened
I was wondering about that too. I noticed that if you look at the comparison chart at surefire.com for the personal lights there are some discrepancies. Perhaps just a minor mistake by the webmaster.

Take a look at the 6P on the chart. It says "Finish: Satin Grey / Hard Anodized". But if you were to click on the 6P for a full description the choices of finish is black or gun metal grey.

So which one is correct? Hmmmmmm. Can anyone clarify this?

Joey

FoxMulder

Newly Enlightened
Doesn't Anodizing have different levels? Like Type 1, Type II and Type III. I think the Greenish colors are Type III MilSpec. The Black and Satin are Type II (except for the Black 8AX/9AN and C2 which I read is Type III). So technically aren't they all Anodized?

Thats what I get from reading on CPF so far so I'm probably wrong.

GJW

Flashlight Enthusiast
From their catalog:
SureFire uses one of two finishes, either a Type II anodization for a shiny attractive finish in black, gunmetal, satin-gray or other limited-run colors, or a super-tough Type III hard anodization finish to military specifications. This Mil-Spec finish is available in a dull, matte black or in its naturally occurring color of gray-green."

I LOVE being able to carry their catalog on my PDA!!!
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

IlluminatingBikr

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would say gun metal is okay to good at protecting from scratches. HA III is probably the best thing to prevent scratches.

For a few more bucks, you will increase the longevity of your flashlight, and to me, is well worth it.

Size15's

Flashaholic
SureFire's black and gunmetal/satin gray finishes are level II anodised. The is no "Hard" term used to describe level II anodised finish.

SureFire's "HA" is Hard Anodised to Mil-A-8625 Type III Class 2. It is a "natural" finish without colour added.

SureFire also makes a few models in Black HA (HABK).

Al

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
al, what exactly are those models?

i was under the impression that ha3 black sf's are not available yet... (though of course, i'm more in the "modder" crowd, so i don't know a whole lot about these things...)

are there any ha3 black tailcaps?

Size15's

Flashaholic
Emerson C2 (Special Edition with knife)

(Strider knife Special Edition comes with an M2 (HA)

SureFire makes the follow HABK models (and no others are planned)

C2 (Emerson Special Edition)
8AX-BK (+ KT5-BK Collar only)
9AN-BK (+ KT3-BK)

Al

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
dan, if sf made a black ha e2e, i think there would be a lot of e2e's in the bst /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

how much for a c2 switch?
i need a ha black switch /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

Size15's

Flashaholic
switch? Why to you need a HABK Z41?
To get one of these you'll have to get the Emerson combo.

SureFire have no current plans to release the E2e or any other model in HABK.
This info is a couple weeks old and from a good source at SureFire.

Al

Klaus

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Size15s said:
SureFire have no current plans to release the E2e or any other model in HABK.
This info is a couple weeks old and from a good source at SureFire.

Al

[/ QUOTE ]

Didn´t we had reports a short while ago here on CPF from sources claiming to be "in the know" that SF will come out with various new HABK models and that they have been spotted on new dealer pricelists already ? I´m certainly not shure and do not know from whatever SF sources myself one way of the other but Al seems to state the opposite from what multiple people had been stating to know as a fact - might just need to search a bit and look it up but time will tell anyway though .... but it makes me wonder /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif -

Klaus

chamenos

Flashlight Enthusiast
nope....it was never confirmed officially and it was never stated as fact, though the source was reliable. they might in future, but no promises and there's no official statement regarding that so don't get your hopes up /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
that sucks /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mecry.gif

Size15's

Flashaholic
If you call SureFire or write them a letter (NOT email), perhaps the weight of demand for an E2e-HABK will be enough to justify a special edition batch?
If one man can get a winelight produced, in !purple!, then how many letters will SureFire need before they decide it's a good idea for an E2e-HABK?

Just a throught...

Al

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
hmm...that's a thought /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

i'm interested in hearing more about the winelight story...i hadn't heard that it was one person.

maybe we should start a thread asking for people to say they would be interested in an e2e-habk? kind of like a petition?
possibly that will indicate to surefire there is at least some level of marketability... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif

any thoughts al?

Size15's

Flashaholic
I think that if people wrote letters to SureFire's Marketing Department saying something like
"Dear SureFire, I love my E2e-HA, but I really want to buy one that is Black HA. Please consider releasing a special edition E2e-HABK. Keep up the great work, Best regards..."
A petition [online] isn't as powerful as getting so many letters that a box file is needed to keep them.

Of course,
I believe there should be another way.
A Dealer may be able to place an order for a batch of HABK. I'm not certain if this is really possible. Even then, it may be 500, 1000 (or higher) or somthing. The Dealer would need to be very confident that such an investment was going shift product.

Al

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
i see...

well, i suppose it's worth a shot /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

do you know the address where we should send these letters?