A mod so nice, I did it twice!

12ga

Newly Enlightened
This is my first time modifying a light and I took a page from a few of the people here and made my qbeam into an h.i.d. The problem was it turned out so great I went to the hardware store and bought another to use the second bulb and ballast. The turned out perfect, my friends could not believe that it was not factory. They are super bright as soon as I figure out how to get a picture of the beam I will post one of those also. However, here are my first two attempts at light modification. Let me know what you think.

qbeam2.jpg

qbeam3.jpg

qbeam1.jpg

12ga

Newly Enlightened
No link I was just trying something at the house I went through two lights at the house before I found one that took. It was not too hard to do; I just picked up some cheap hid's from e-bay and started hacking and gluing. I am very happy with the results; I just wish the flood/spot still worked, in order to fit the bulb and ballast plus the wires I had to remove the arm that controls the reflector.

12ga

Newly Enlightened
All in all I think each light set me back about $40 (1 light + 1 Bulb/ballast) I think it worked out pretty good I was lighting up my neighbors house about 1/2 of a mile away last night. I will take some photos tonight.

Last edited:

Conte

Enlightened
I had a setup like that before.

I had mounted the ballast externally, bolting it to the back of the light casing. The ballasts tend to be weather proof, so perhaps you could try that to get your spot / flood functionality back ?

Where did you fit those HiD kits on ebay ? Link ? Usually they are alot more expensive.

kramer5150

Flashaholic
Nice mod. I see those spotlights (~1MCP) on ebay for under $20 shipped all the time. Lowes has their own rebranded version too.

How did you fit the ballast in there? Can you open one up and post some pics of the insides?
Is the front lens glass or lexan?
Are they 35 or 55 watt ballasts?
Is it a "slim"ballast kit?

Nice job overall and :welcome:

12ga

Newly Enlightened
Sorry It took me so long to reply, but yes the ballast are shoved into the light housing and the wires are tight fit but they work really well. My buddy just bought one of the stanley HID's from wal-mart and I would say the are just about the same as far as brightness and throw go. I got the hid's from a guy on ebay for around $40 shipped and I wil post that sellers name when I post beam shots and pictures of the inside of the light. Again sorry for the late replies but you have got to work long hours if you want to play with all of this fun stuff. Pictutres to follow soon.

12ga.