The most powerfull light in the universe!

The_Viking

Newly Enlightened
Well, I havnt searched for the topic but here I go and let you all know that there are some serious explosions going on out there in this universe we live in:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GRB_080319B

"The GRB's redshift was measured to be 0.937, which means that the explosion occurred about 7.5 billion (7.5×109) years ago, and it took the light that long to reach the Earth."

"The afterglow of the burst set a new record for the "most intrinsically bright object ever observed by humans in the universe", 2.5 million times brighter than the brightest supernova to date"

Uhm... and exactly how many lumens were that and what kind of "super-flash-light" did the "aliens" use (joking a bit *lol*)... :eek: :twothumbs

Last edited:

The_Viking

Newly Enlightened
That was God's EDC. :eek:oo:

As an ignostic I can honestly say that this "incident" would be pretty close to something like that , yes :thinking:
I mean.. this almost goes beyond words when it comes to describing the power that must have been unleashed there at that far distant place!

blasterman

Flashlight Enthusiast
You habe to remember that in terms of 'brightness' these astronomical explosions are calculated in point of origin assumptions. Supernovas, gamma ray bursts, etc. are radial / spherical in nature, so the energy released disperses rapidly as it spreads out. The actual detected energy might be small - until you do the math.

So, the eggheads take the energy they detect now, calculate how big the energy volume is and claculate how bright it would be if all that energy was compressed into an object the size of a star back when it happened. This often results in explosions that produced more instantaneous energy than the output of every star in a large galaxy.

The_Viking

Newly Enlightened
In any case.. its safe to say that the potential aliens in that galaxy where this occured got their own BIG lightshow... and sorry to say.. it might have wiped out some of those worlds too depending partly on distance to the "epi-centre" and the directions of the cones (or potential shapes) of those GRB/light-bursts :/

IMSabbel

Enlightened
Hehe. And this is again lumen vs lux.

When GRBs first were discovered, people didnt realize they were directional. If isotropic, they would burn the galaxy :)

But still, even correcting for this, super and hypernovae ARE damn bright. And most of it we cannot even see (>95% is neutrino emission). The "brighter than all stars in the galaxy" thing is not just a technicality, its simple truth. In a couple of hours, the energy production is equivalent to a few earths worth of antimatter annihilating...

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
There's way more powerful and brighter lights out there. Their radiation/effects just have not reached us yet to know about them.

Hooked on Fenix

Flashlight Enthusiast
Since this gamma ray burst was basically aimed toward earth, is it possible that the explosion could have shot some asteroids and other blown up debris at us that could hit earth sometime in the future?

Scottiver

Enlightened
Since this gamma ray burst was basically aimed toward earth, is it possible that the explosion could have shot some asteroids and other blown up debris at us that could hit earth sometime in the future?

Not even an eensy weensy teeny tiny possibility of that happening.:eeksign:

Patriot

Flashaholic
That was God's EDC. :eek:oo:

Big time, dude!

It truly is amazing to think of the magnitudes of the happenings out there in the universe. Although I'm a pathetically amateurish stargazer myself and am somewhat familiar with astronomical happenings, I have trouble relating to the sheer overwhelming massiveness of space, time and matter. I continually ponder why it was necessary for all of it to exist but of course there is no answer, at least not one that man can comprehend. I get caught up in small amazement's such as the red supergiants like Betelgeuse or KY Cygni who's diameter is much larger than the orbit of Jupiter around our sun. It's almost as if these things exist in an untouchable computer simulation rather than in the physical. It's equally amazing that it even exists in the first place and that there was some reason behind it all. It leaves me mind boggled. :sweat:

LightWalker

Flashlight Enthusiast
Big time, dude!

It truly is amazing to think of the magnitudes of the happenings out there in the universe. Although I'm a pathetically amateurish stargazer myself and am somewhat familiar with astronomical happenings, I have trouble relating to the sheer overwhelming massiveness of space, time and matter. I continually ponder why it was necessary for all of it to exist but of course there is no answer, at least not one that man can comprehend. I get caught up in small amazement's such as the red supergiants like Betelgeuse or KY Cygni who's diameter is much larger than the orbit of Jupiter around our sun. It's almost as if these things exist in an untouchable computer simulation rather than in the physical. It's equally amazing that it even exists in the first place and that there was some reason behind it all. It leaves me mind boggled. :sweat:

It's kinda like trying to understand eternity. :confused: According to the Bible there are other creatures in the Heavens and I can only imagine what they do, I bet they have some great flashlights. :naughty:

From the little bit of the universe that I have seen I think God likes to create and I think that he likes light.

The_Viking

Newly Enlightened

As Scottiver said, that is not possible. However, as I mentioned in some other context... being close to an "incident" out there is entirely possible.

Lets focus away from the "2012-doomsdays-scenario" and such and let us instead see things from the positive side - that either we are lucky (the universe is a BIG place - we are quite "hidden" from many dangerous objects) OR someone actually is watching over us (free will - I love it - after all these years I still havnt made up my mind :D). IF the following "less powerfull incident" (link below) would have been within some 10 light years from earth then we would no longer have an ozone-layer and we would probably not be around anymore (and I wonder why it never reached the headlines in 2004 - at least I cannot remember that it did):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SGR_1806-20

StarHalo

Flashaholic
crabnebulahubble.jpg

The Crab Nebula; 11 light years across (9,600 times wider than the Solar System), and lit solely by a single pulsar in the center that is only 20 miles in diameter. Despite being 6,500 light years from Earth, with unlimited [visible light] night vision it would appear to be one fifth the size of the full moon in the night sky.

StarHalo

Flashaholic
The Crab Nebula; 11 light years across (9,600 times wider than the Solar System), and lit solely by a single pulsar in the center that is only 20 miles in diameter.

I've spent the last idle hour calculating and extrapolating and hammering out the actual details on the Crab Nebula, which go something like this:

The size of the Nebula varies greatly depending on what wavelength you're using to view it; in the visible light spectrum, its longest dimension is right around 13 light years across, and this number is changing since it's expanding at half the speed of light in some areas. As a light source, it technically features two forms of emission powered by a single source; the center pulsar itself has about the same light output of the Sun (despite being <20 miles in diameter!), while radiation present as a large cloud within the nebula (the blue-white glow in the image above) is at least four orders of magnitude brighter. The radiation is powered exclusively by the pulsar, hence two emissions, one source (a flood and a throw!)

Skipping ahead to the final number: The total visible light output of the Crab Nebula is right around 90,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 lumens. (9.0 x 10^25, 90 septillion)