Help finding the best "all around" light 4 me :)

rickypanecatyl

Enlightened
My apologies in advance as I am sure there are many similar questions but after doing a search I found my needs (ok wants) were a bit different than any of the others I found :)

I'm looking for a powerful, all around light and have been checking out the Jet beam M1X, the Fenix TK30, O lights M21 & M30, the NeoFab legion 2, lumapower MVP & MRV SK ultra.

I know I have to compromise, but here are my "wishes" ;).

1. Lots of lumens – hopefully at least 500.
2. More throw than flood – though not a pencil beam. I'd like to be able to see the beam on the side of a house 300 yds away – is that too much to ask? (I think this is out of the question but if something existed that had a throw to flood adjustment I might just wet my pants!)
3. Size – I do like the smaller lights such as the M21 but am thinking (I don't know) that those smaller ones don't have the throw like the Jetbeam MX1 for instance? I'd rather the bigger size if the throw is significantly farther but if it's about the same I'd prefer the smaller light.
4. Output selection. Of all those lights, the M30 has my favourite selections … H700, Med 120, Low 8 lumens. I haven't seen one of these on the more powerful lights, but I absolutely love the selector type rings I've seen on the Fenix TA21 and the Jetbeam RRT-1. I'd be happy to pay for that feature on a more powerful light.
5. Reliable, waterproof, both rechargeable and store bought battery options.

I'd love to hear your thoughts on this! I've heard some rumors on the new O light K50 … would it fit here?

Thanks

Rick

stallion2

Enlightened
Dereelight would be worth a look. the only dealer in the US is Flashlight Connection, which is no problem, Jay has been the easiest guy to work w/ in terms of customer service and he knows the products well. the DBS V3 w/ an MC-E pill covers more middle ground than any light i've seen. you'll have to check w/ Jay to see about the availability of the MC-E pills. later on you can get other pills and reflectors and the DBS parts are interchangeable w/ their CL1H light which is basically a P60. i bought a fair amount of Dereelight stuff from him a few months back and keep it all in a small Pelican case, other than an HID there isn't much out there that my Dereelight parts can't match. i do have an M30 and its awesome, but its not gonna give much at 900'...JB's MX1 and Raptors should, but so would a DBS V3 w/ an SMO and R2 pill. Thrunite's Catapult is another good one, it'll get ya 900' but still has some decent spill to use in close...its kinda bulky but no worse than 2-3 cell Mag.

rickypanecatyl

Enlightened
Thanks Stallion - I hadn't seen the Deree light before ... it looks like a single light that can have different heads for different purposes? How big is it compared to the M30?

Will the M30 light up say a car 500 feet away?

thanks

rick

jhc37013

Flashlight Enthusiast
The M30 is a bright light but is best used at medium range. It would do best at targets in the 300ft. range. If you are looking for throw you may want to look at the XP-E and XR-E R2 lights and not the MC-E.

stallion2

Enlightened
Thanks Stallion - I hadn't seen the Deree light before ... it looks like a single light that can have different heads for different purposes? How big is it compared to the M30?

Will the M30 light up say a car 500 feet away?

thanks

rick
their size is virtually identical, the DBS might be a half inch longer. both fit in my pocket easily w/ the head up.

an M30 will give you a little light at 500' but it dissipates a lot well before that...saying "light up" is a stretch for me at that range. it is excellent up to 200', 250' if the humidity is low. up to that range the M30 is brighter, beyond that the DBS takes over. its much better at 500' than the M30. install the SMR and an R2 in the DBS and its even better, but no spill. i missed your comment in the OP about a house at 300 yds...you'd probably want an HID if you hope to have enough light to be useful at that distance. an aspheric lens would also do pretty well...and the DBS just so happens to have that as an optional piece. though faint, i can put light on houses 4000' away across the lake...at 1000'-1500' it does rather well.

that Eagletac w/ the three R2's is a great suggestion also. i was 24 hours from ordering one when Jay got his shipment of Catapults so i went that route.

strinq

Enlightened
Fenix TK40

Lol bad suggestion. The TK40 is also not much of a thrower since it also uses an MC-E led.
The Eagletac M2XC4 is an excellent suggestion. Awesome thrower, uses 18650's or 123's.
Not a small light by any means but really comfortable once you're use to the shape.
OTF of about 650 lumens. Has a selector ring and you can use an optional clicky switch.

skyfire

Flashlight Enthusiast
the jetbeam m1x seems to meet your needs, or wants.

it seems to be designed for throw, looks awesome, and brightness is variable. meaning you can ramp it to the desired output, and then set it.
has many different battery configurations too. its not as big as it looks, but still would fit into your pocket, but the m21 and m30 doesnt either.

others lights i would suggest giving a look at are the thrunite catapult, and tiablo ace, and tiablo a10

rickypanecatyl

Enlightened
the jetbeam m1x seems to meet your needs, or wants.

it seems to be designed for throw, looks awesome, and brightness is variable. meaning you can ramp it to the desired output, and then set it.

So how does that work? Does that mean I could decide between 3 powers - whatever I want, say 10 lumens, 80 lumens and full power?

Thanks for the feedback guys!

rick