ASP Triad / Tac-Lite ... Rechargeable? Tailcap

txarmysgt

Newly Enlightened
Hello one and all, glad to meet you. My name is Dan and I am a complete flash-a-idiot. I have been a member of a number of other forums and I am well aware of the search function and I have made an exhaustive search. I have come into posession of a flashlight that has been eating at me since I first laid eyes on it. an aqquaintance of my brother was showing it around asking if anyone could tell what brand it was. BLack with a high gloss and smoothe lines with a firm foam-rubber grip - heavy aluminum with prominent threads and a pleasant heft in your hand. It took me a long time with just that to go on but I am highly confident what I have is an ASP Triad of one variety or another. What I have not been able to figure out, however is the function of the tailcap. This particular tailcap has two heavy brass cup-like inserts that nest inside one another separated by an insulating plastic cup - these pieces form the rearmost portion of the tailcap and when assmebled form two concentric rings of brass, in the middle of which sits a very small rubber boot, that covers a computer micro-switch. The switch is mounted to a small PCB (That is burnt FAR beyond repair) which is inside the tailcap. There are clearly several parts missing - no contact points to be seen of anykind with a battery. no spring. nothing - Just the Burnt PCB with two screws going up to the two afore-mentioned cups. The anodizing is electrically insulating to the outer cup, and the inner plastic cup insulates the two brass cups from eachother. My guess is there must have been a path to complete a circuit to the exposed brass rings formed on the tailcap, which I would assume would be for a tailstanding battery charger..... I have found exactly ZERO evidence of this light actually existing and I have made a very thorough search for an abolute novice. Please lend me any advice and information you can and I will be eternally grateful I would like to return this little light to its former glory if at all possible. If fixing this was not my obssession I would just buy a replacement back-switch from a web-based distributor. thanks again and I hope all your batteries die for dumping a 55 gallon drum of JP8 on my newfound "hobby" Regards, Dan

Solscud007

Flashlight Enthusiast
hmm Im not familiar with the tailcap you mention. I have an ASP triad. Is yours LED or incandescent?

why not take some pictures and post them up. That way we can see what you are talking about.

You should be able to get a simple replacement tailcap. there is really no need to try and repair the tailcap. in the world of hi-output tactical lights, tailcaps are sort of the tertiary consumable right behind batteries and lamp assemblies.

Tailcaps have been known to fail. it is the nature of the beast.

Here is an old picture I took back in 2001 when i got my ASP triad. my tailcap is a little different as it is the tailcap that allows the light to be attached to the bottom of an ASP baton.

aspglock.jpg