Problem with Quark AA

swrdply400mrelay

Enlightened
Hey guys,

I just got my Quark AA from 4sevens and I've been having a problem with it. Sometimes it turns on, sometimes it doesn't. No flickering, and all modes work. I tried cleaning the contacts and threads with alcohol. Also tried different batteries including alkaline, NiMH, and lithiums. I also tried tightening the retainer ring in the tail cap. None of these seem to have an effect.

Any suggestions?

TIA

mike

UPDATE: See post #24 for how I solved my problem.

Last edited:

solloron1

Newly Enlightened
Im having the same issue. I just ordered 2 tactical AA's and one works flawless and the other is having the issue you described. It appears to be with the tailcap. I swapped the one that works on the light that wasnt and it worked as it should. I put the bad on the light that was working and it still had the issue. Ive contacted 4sevens, waiting to hear back from them.

luke_DF

Newly Enlightened
I got AA tactical couple of weeks ago - no problems with it whatsoever and I look forward to trying out some of their other flashlights in the future. as far as I can see, 4sevens have very good customer service reputation here, so I'd expect them to help you out with solving the issue or getting you a replacement.

solloron1

Newly Enlightened
Anyone else have the same problem?

I contacted 4sevens yesterday and still have not heard back.

I contacted them on Sunday and still haven't heard anything. Waiting to see what is up. I may give them a call today and report back what I find out.

tsask

Flashlight Enthusiast
if you return it, 7777 is a reputable dealer who cares.
my only suggesttion is make sure it is insured!

when I returned my neutral Quark AA it got "lost" at the Atlanta post office, then never existed ! That was in November and I've been without it ever since.:mecry: My Quark got lost and even though I paid $$$, I am without the light I purchased, through no fault of my own.:mad:

UPDATE!!!!!I only wish the US post office in Altlanta was run like 4 Sevens. Those folks are excellent! and even though we know the post office had posessed and lost the light, with no fault of 4 Sevens, they made it right. and took care of me.

The technical aspects of my "problem" with the light should also be mentioned,
*** I improperly twisted the WRONG end of the light., meaning the menu functions or ALL POWER would be adversely effected. Instead of twisting the LED head, I twisted the endcap ooops!

Trevor and the folks at 4 Sevens spent time trouble shooting the non existant prob and cheefrully returned it then I repeated the prob they check again and then we determined it was in fact operator error. again they were cool and very nice. David, Trevor and others at 4 Sevens EDC the products as well so you are dealing with someone who KNOWS AND CARES about LED lights. True class! THANKS AGAIN

Last edited:
if you return it, 7777 is a reputable dealer who cares.
my only suggesttion is make sure it is insured!
when I returned my neutral Quark AA it got "lost" at the Atlanta post office, then never existed ! That was in November and I've been without it ever since.:mecry: My Quark got lost and even though I paid $$$, I am without the light I purchased, through no fault of my own.:mad:

Isn't it amazing how many things get lost going to someone else:thinking:? I've NEVER had anything which has been sent to me not arrive.

357mag1

Enlightened
Hey guys,

I just got my Quark AA from 4sevens and I've been having a problem with it. Sometimes it turns on, sometimes it doesn't. No flickering, and all modes work. I tried cleaning the contacts and threads with alcohol. Also tried different batteries including alkaline, NiMH, and lithiums. I also tried tightening the retainer ring in the tail cap. None of these seem to have an effect.

Any suggestions?

TIA

I had the same problem with one of my Quarks using the AA body. That body could be used with other tail caps and worked fine. The tail cap could be used with other bodies and worked fine. Kind of wierd.
I also found the problem went away if I slightly loosened the tail cap. This was the thinner cap that isn't HAIII andodized.

mike

chaosmagnet

Newly Enlightened
One of my Quarks came with a flakey switch. 4Sevens replaced the tailcap without any hassle.

While I don't want to discourage anyone from contacting 4Sevens and getting this issue resolved, Beamhead posted some awesome pictures on how you can troubleshoot this issue yourself: https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/250490

swrdply400mrelay

Enlightened
One of my Quarks came with a flakey switch. 4Sevens replaced the tailcap without any hassle.

While I don't want to discourage anyone from contacting 4Sevens and getting this issue resolved, Beamhead posted some awesome pictures on how you can troubleshoot this issue yourself: https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/250490

I took apart the switch, cleaned it, lightly lubed up the ratcheting parts with some WD-40, stretched the spring out a little, and works better, maybe like 75% of the time.

update in OP for anyone with the same probs.

Last edited:

swrdply400mrelay

Enlightened
Hmmm, now it's acting up again. Works only about half the time. Over 2.5 days and no reply from 4sevens...

Seems odd, I've always had good CS with them.

tsask

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hmmm, now it's acting up again. Works only about half the time. Over 2.5 days and no reply from 4sevens...
Seems odd, I've always had good CS with them.

sorry to hear bout the prob, you might want to contact them again, or if you have the time call them.

I am sure they will take care of you.:)

Surnia

Newly Enlightened
I took apart the switch, cleaned it, lightly lubed up the ratcheting parts with some WD-40, stretched the spring out a little, and works better, maybe like 75% of the time.

update in OP for anyone with the same probs.

forgive me if i'm being ignorant, but isn't WD-40 not usually recommended as a long term lubricant? from when I've used it, the stuff dries relatively fast, and is designed to penetrate surfaces to displace water over usage as a lubricant.

Latest posts