Easy & Efficient LED Convertion of 6V Recharable Flashlight

zmint

Newly Enlightened
I am considering converting my conventional 6V Rechargeable Flashlight to a bright LED flashlight.

I came across this in respect to LED flashlights :

"LED flashlights are often electronically regulated to maintain constant light output as the batteries are depleted. By contrast, the output of a non-regulated flashlight changes proportionally to the voltage of the battery, resulting in a significant decline in output as battery capacity - and thus voltage - drops as the flashlight is used"

I was able to dig a nice and reliable DIY tutorial, to achieve the same result but it involved, programing a IC (ATtiny11L as charge pump), which is far beyond my availability.

Now, How can get the same job done with easily available electronic components.

The concluding facts for the project are :

1) Converting a conventional 6V rechargeable Flashlight to a bright LED flashlight.
2) The converted version should be equally bright and As quoted above it should be efficient in relation to battery life (longer run-time), durability of leds.
3) We have to take in consideration a 6V 4AH maintenance Sealed Lead Acid battery which may give around 6.6 V when charged afresh.
4) Three types of LED are Available :
'a' type) Good quality Simple white LEDS. Don't know their rating but bright enough and focused at one place.
'b' type) Super Bright Wide Angle 5mm White Helmet LED's, used extensively, in Torches, Lanterns etc for their brightness, low power, compact size and a very long life of 11+ years.
The specifications :
Forward Voltage ... 3.2V(max 3.6V)
Forward Current ... 25mA
Type ... Straw Hat, Clear Lens
Colour ... White of-course
Colour Temp ... 6000K-10000K
Technology ... GaInN
Size ... 5mm
Expected Life ... 11+ years
Emission Angle ... 170 Degree

'c' type) The label states :
Part No : 10W 4S CPM
VF : 3.1 - 3.3
IV : 14000 - 16000
WL : W2

5) Number & type(a,b,c) of LED to be used are to be considered and also the amount of heat generated if any.
6) Housing the LEDS and assembling ... Leave it to me. (Just need to know the Driver Circuit)

Thanks for reading all this.

Zmint

wquiles

Flashaholic
I am considering converting my conventional 6V Rechargeable Flashlight to a bright LED flashlight.

I came across this in respect to LED flashlights :

"LED flashlights are often electronically regulated to maintain constant light output as the batteries are depleted. By contrast, the output of a non-regulated flashlight changes proportionally to the voltage of the battery, resulting in a significant decline in output as battery capacity - and thus voltage - drops as the flashlight is used"

I was able to dig a nice and reliable DIY tutorial, to achieve the same result but it involved, programing a IC (ATtiny11L as charge pump), which is far beyond my availability.

Now, How can get the same job done with easily available electronic components.

The concluding facts for the project are :

1) Converting a conventional 6V rechargeable Flashlight to a bright LED flashlight.
2) The converted version should be equally bright and As quoted above it should be efficient in relation to battery life (longer run-time), durability of leds.
3) We have to take in consideration a 6V 4AH maintenance Sealed Lead Acid battery which may give around 6.6 V when charged afresh.
4) Three types of LED are Available :
'a' type) Good quality Simple white LEDS. Don't know their rating but bright enough and focused at one place.
'b' type) Super Bright Wide Angle 5mm White Helmet LED's, used extensively, in Torches, Lanterns etc for their brightness, low power, compact size and a very long life of 11+ years.
The specifications :
Forward Voltage ... 3.2V(max 3.6V)
Forward Current ... 25mA
Type ... Straw Hat, Clear Lens
Colour ... White of-course
Colour Temp ... 6000K-10000K
Technology ... GaInN
Size ... 5mm
Expected Life ... 11+ years
Emission Angle ... 170 Degree

'c' type) The label states :
Part No : 10W 4S CPM
VF : 3.1 - 3.3
IV : 14000 - 16000
WL : W2

5) Number & type(a,b,c) of LED to be used are to be considered and also the amount of heat generated if any.
6) Housing the LEDS and assembling ... Leave it to me. (Just need to know the Driver Circuit)

Thanks for reading all this.

Zmint

We have available to use lots of good quality LED drivers to power a vast array of LED/battery combinations from various sources:

The Sandwich Shoppe

and

TaskLED

If the voltage of the cells (6-7 volts) is higher than the vf of the LED's you are considering, then you need a BUCK driver. Both links above will have a driver suitable for your project.

Will

zmint

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the links, but I meant to say I wanted to assemble a simple one myself. I need a semantic as you well know the joy of self doing.

Thanks once again.
Zmint