Tail switch sensitivity -HELP - Ultrafire WF-501B with Cree 5 mode drop-in

fiataccompli

Newly Enlightened
I'm a serious newbie to the world of high tech flashlights, but I was following some advice from a fellow cyclist that the subject light & drop-in would make a great low-cost tail light for a bicycle.

light: dx/sku.20333
drop-in: dx/sku.26345

I've got all of it & indeed, it should be perfect. The problem I have is the tail switch seems to be too sensitive and basically won't take the light through the proper 5 modes. Instead of a hi-med-low-strobe-SOS cycle (with each "on" of an on/off repetition), I get a millisecond quick strobe & hi alternating with a medium or low (can't tell which & really don't care).

First I took the tail cap off and tested the light using a wire to short the battery to the body. Doing this, the light consistently went through it's correct 5 modes with no variation when I tried various on & off timing. Then, after trying multiple re-installations and re-constructions of the tail switch, I was able to get it to cycle correctly using the tail switch. However, after sitting on a shelf a few hours I tried it again & it had reverted back to the error 2-mode switching when using the tail switch.

I suppose my question is whether there is a good quality clicky switch replacement or if there is something I should do (clean contacts? use contact grease in the switch?) to make the switch consistent. I'm sure I could make something work for a switch for it since ultimately it will be used in a semi-permanent mounting (even if it moves from bike to bike), but it would be cleaner to just be able to fix the switch that came with the light and move on.

Is this a common problem when using a cheap flashlight (and switch) and a multi-mode module? I am guessing the problem is coming from some sort of 'bouncing' of a connection or something else within the switch that causes extra losses of contact during the normal on/off cycle. Maybe just stretching the spring in the switch & cleaning contacts will do it?

Any helpful advice to this flashlight neophite will be appreciated.

Last edited:

Slash5

Newly Enlightened
Have you dismantled the tailcap and removed the switch?
Look to see how the switch contacts the tailcap. Clean that area and make sure it is making contact. I had one where the switch PCB was a tiny bit too big and not sitting down into the tailcap. A bit of sanding fixed it.

Try the tailcap without the rubber button. It is possible the rubber is not letting the switch return to it's neutral position correctly.
If everything looks OK, try a bit of contact cleaner on the switch while you have it out of the tailcap. Other people have found that just clicking the switch a few hundred times has fixed a contact problem.

fiataccompli

Newly Enlightened
Thanks. So, some cleaning and/or "breaking in" of the contact surfaces may be all it needs? Is a bit of 'bounce' in the mechanism a common problem with cheap switches?