NITECORE -- Keep Innovating        
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast

Thread: Haiku XP-G

Flashaholic

Default Re: Haiku XP-G

Quote Originally Posted by McGizmo View Post
    Yes, XP-G is my take as well.
    From the man himself! Honored that you've chimed in on this one, thanks!

Love my McGizmo lights!

Flashaholic

Ok, finally got the engine and took this photo. Now that we have a better view, XPG or XPG-2?
    Any way to tell whether it's a Neutral or Cool without installing it?
    Thank you for all the support!

Last edited by jkid1911; 05-07-2016 at 11:26 AM.

That's an XM-L ... and tint will only be evident when you turn it on.
    Last edited by archimedes; 05-07-2016 at 12:30 PM.
    ... is the archimedes peak

That is the first version XML. I would guess it's cool. Don't recall Don offering it in warm or neutral tint.

That will fit a haiku, sundrop or mule. Don't try that on a makai though.

I would also think cool tint is more likely, presuming it is the stock emitter, but ... I've already been fooled once in this thread, lol

Flashaholic

Looked a bit big to me to be an XPG too, but that's how it was advertised so I wasn't sure. Makes a lot of sense now. Either way, I'm glad to own it! Thanks for all the great input!

Quote Originally Posted by BenChiew View Post
    That will fit a haiku, sundrop or mule. Don't try that on a makai though.

It will work in a Mule or SD as is, but if you want to put it in a Haiku you will have to make sure you have the appropriate reflector. I think certain reflectors (for the 119 and XP-G and XR-E) have a smaller opening and there could be interference issues with the larger XM-L.

Quote Originally Posted by nbp View Post
    It will work in a Mule or SD as is, but if you want to put it in a Haiku you will have to make sure you have the appropriate reflector. I think certain reflectors (for the 119 and XP-G and XR-E) have a smaller opening and there could be interference issues with the larger XM-L.
    Yes. Nbp is right. The haiku uses 2 types of reflector. One accommodates the larger emitters like the xre and XML. Another does the smaller Nichia and xpg.

Flashaholic

Quote Originally Posted by BenChiew View Post
    Yes. Nbp is right. The haiku uses 2 types of reflector. One accommodates the larger emitters like the xre and XML. Another does the smaller Nichia and xpg.

Thanks folks, this is very important information. Greatly appreciated!

Is there a technical reason Don doesn't use modern emitters?

The philosophy of these flashlights does not require the absolute latest cutting edge LED to be fulfilled ... would be my sense of things.

Palm Springs, CA, Beverly Hills, CA, Washington, DC, New York City Manhattan

Agreed.
    Check my Web Site: www.Redwayphoto.com

Quote Originally Posted by recDNA View Post
    Is there a technical reason Don doesn't use modern emitters?
    Wow, now there's an interesting question?!?! Immediately my question in return is what constitutes a "modern emitter" to the point what I use are no longer modern.

But I can respond to a more general question as to why I don't offer every emitter that comes along and every bin available of every emitter that comes along. And the reasons would be both of a technical as well as practical nature.

The Mule and SunDrop can easily be host to any number of LED's and only require that the LED meet certain physical size and power requirements. If size and power requirement are met then the only technical issue is that of an appropriate MCPCB upon which to mount the emitter. If this involves a new design and run of MCPCB's then that is a practical and financial consideration. Sourcing and purchasing a minimum required lot of the emitters is also a practical and financial consideration. Confusing the potential users and buyers of my light with an added emitter choice is also a practical consideration. There needs to be a significant difference in any new offering to allow for a clear path to a final choice of emitter by the user.

An interesting aside here I think is to consider over the years how some light manufacturers identified their offerings by emitter identification itself and how some manufactures likely targeting a less informed market avoid any mention of emitter make or model. There was a time a number of years ago when I was more aware of what was coming out where some of the offshore manufacturers were coming out with a new light every time a new significant bin of LED model came out and basically pushing the new light based on this new emitter, alone. I don't pay any attention to what these CPF focused manufacturers are offering these days so I don't know if such a transient or fleeting difference is the fuel for their marketing or not.

Regarding the Haiku, a new emitter might well require a redesign of reflector for decent light distribution and that is a technical as well as financial consideration of significance.

I have evolved into a niche here on the forum where I have been able to offer lights I believe in, to folks sharing the same interests and priorities. Certainly as time has moved on and the forum has grown and matured, it has become more and more difficult to "compete" as new entries and offerings, often little more than imitations, have been added to the mix. To me, the emitter and converter which constitute the light engine are the heart and soul of the light. But a light is more than just heart and soul and a good heart and soul in a good host can be timeless in terms of utility and value. The Haiku has been offered now for a number of years and I wonder how many other lights out there have been offered for as long. Granted I have changed the light engines over time and added new options as emitters have come available. And more importantly, new emitters when they offer something either better or of significant difference.

My goal is to build lights that will offer utility well beyond any time frame required of them. Such a goal is inherently contrary to value being based on "modern". My goal I guess would be better considered as timeless in value?!? That's not to say that I don't strive to use contemporary LED's at the time of build.

This question was posed in the Haiku XP-G thread so perhaps it is in reference to the new XPG-3? If that is the case, I have no doubt that I will most likely be offering the XPG-3 in lieu of the XPG-2 and possibly replacing the Nichia 119V as well, but not in the near term. I need to actually be able to purchase these emitters of a bin that surpasses that of the emitters I presently have on hand. That these emitters can be driven at a higher maximum current is of no advantage in my light engines at present.
    Build Prices .... some mods and builds (not 4 sale) "Nature can be cruel- but we don't have to be."~ Temple Grandin

Thanks for the detailed response. I should have perhaps said newer rather than more modern. I was actually thinking of the XP-L HI rather than the XP-G3 for the Haiku but I know nothing about the technical challenges posed by a different vf or die size requiring changes to the light engine or reflector. I also have no idea whether the XP-L HI actually produces as much light as the XP-G at .6 amps. I meant no disrespect to your work. It is gorgeous as well as utilitarian. That is a difficult combination to achieve.
    Last edited by recDNA; 05-08-2016 at 05:11 PM.

I love reading Don's posts on design philosophy. I'm still waiting for you to write a book.

nbp: great idea!

TRUE: Don is always thoughtful and informative, isn't he? (He's DEEP!)
    I've always thought of him as a "Man Of Nobility".
    We're lucky to nave him on CPF.

BUT - I never thought of hin writing a book!

Yeah Don, get on with it!
    I suggest a Bio, with torch design entwined, your inventions, and your love for the Sea (Love-Of-Life too), your philosopy of Life, and Love of Nature.

I'd Love To Read it!
    "...[they] Carry Torches And Pass Them One To Another" Socrates ~360 BCE

mckeand13's Brilliant Idea: CPF Members Map - Please Add Yourself?

+100

Palm Springs, CA, Beverly Hills, CA, Washington, DC, New York City Manhattan

A book would be great, however he is not finished producing lights, when he retires from production, then a book would be great idea.
    Check my Web Site: www.Redwayphoto.com

Flashaholic

Quote Originally Posted by McGizmo View Post
    I have evolved into a niche here on the forum where I have been able to offer lights I believe in, to folks sharing the same interests and priorities. Certainly as time has moved on and the forum has grown and matured, it has become more and more difficult to "compete" as new entries and offerings, often little more than imitations, have been added to the mix. To me, the emitter and converter which constitute the light engine are the heart and soul of the light. But a light is more than just heart and soul and a good heart and soul in a good host can be timeless in terms of utility and value. The Haiku has been offered now for a number of years and I wonder how many other lights out there have been offered for as long. Granted I have changed the light engines over time and added new options as emitters have come available. And more importantly, new emitters when they offer something either better or of significant difference.

My goal is to build lights that will offer utility well beyond any time frame required of them.
    Please forgive me for reducing the quote, but I just LOVE this part! .....and I LOVE my McGizmo flashlights!

Flashaholic

Default Re: Haiku XP-G ?

Ok, got another mystery on my hands. I gotta stop buying up everything McGizmo....

Here's the quote from the description:

"Haiku head with an XP-G2 light engine. This one is using Don's AA converter, which will work with either a 1xAA pack, a 2xAA pack, or a 1x123 pack."

I picked this up as a nice spare for one of my 1 cr123 bodies. However, when I get the head and compare it to my XPG2 Haiku the LED on this one seems much smaller and the light output with 1 cr123 appears to be half of my XPG2. In the photo, my XPG2 is on the left and the mystery head on the right. Something just doesn't seem right. What am I missing?

Last edited by jkid1911; 07-05-2016 at 06:27 PM.

AA converter will run on higher voltage but is optimized for ~1.2v AA so I'm pretty sure the output is lower by design than the light engines designed for 3-4.2v.

Flashaholic

AA converter will run on higher voltage but is optimized for ~1.2v AA so I'm pretty sure the output is lower by design than the light engines designed for 3-4.2v.
    This makes sense but what about the size of the LED?

They both have silver backing but my XPG2 is clearly larger and I know mine's not an XML as I have one of those too and that's bigger yet. Can it be an XRE with the dome removed or maybe another LED? The tint is much more green than my Neutral XPG2 as well if this helps. Also, the back has AA scribed on the head between the red and green paint dabs.

HEEEELP!

Additional pics of the mystery LED .

Last edited by jkid1911; 07-05-2016 at 07:42 PM.

Looks like a Nichia

Flashaholic

Quote Originally Posted by archimedes View Post
    Looks like a Nichia
    That would explain the smaller size and output as well. How about the tint? My XPG2 is neutral and this one has a greenish hue when compared head to head in beam test against white wall.

Beamshot ?

The Nichia is being driven at 300 mA on high (AA converter) VS the 660 mA on high of the XPG and since the XPG is likely higher in flux, half the lumens from the Nichia compared to XPG is what I would expect. The Nichia is most likely a 119 which has a smaller die than the 119V or the XPG.
    Build Prices .... some mods and builds (not 4 sale) "Nature can be cruel- but we don't have to be."~ Temple Grandin

Flashaholic

Beamshot ?
    Keep in mind this is very close to the wall in order to get the whole beam shot in the photo. There is a very pronounced black ring about 3/4 out towards the end that is less visible in the photo. Of course the ring is only visible on the wall otherwise not.

Please forgive the terrible pic but best I can do....

Last edited by jkid1911; 07-06-2016 at 04:45 PM.

Nichia still seems reasonable

Flashaholic

Nichia still seems reasonable
    Yep, Nichia seems to be the verdict. Mystery solved.... Thanks to everyone who chimed in!

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast