MXDL SA-28 (CREE Q5 Aspheric 1x 18650) pre-review

TriChrome

Enlightened
I have a MXDL SA-28 model in the mail and haven't seen a review of it online anywhere. ...So I guess this is a spacer post to get some input on MXDL lights in general, and I'll take some flashlight pics and beamshots when it arrives (trying to pay back this forum I've learned so much from just a little bit).

Here's the specs taken from the web:

CREE Q5 LED
3-Mode (High/Low/Strobe)
1x 18650 of 3x AA's (comes with AA adapter)
Aspheric lens adjustable through push-pull motion
-It seems to be made by the same company who makes Romisen; although if it's the same quality I don't know.

Images from QualityChinaGoods (until I take my own):
e48e5f8e.jpg

40fc6cd4.jpg

ec5e0924.jpg

41673268.jpg

d287173e.jpg

1182bf85.jpg

d48c561d.jpg

The beam shots will be comparing it against a Romisen RC-C6 Aspheric with Q5, and my two NiteCore models the SR3 and Extreme which both have R2's (only other 1-cell lights I own).

Last edited:

sol-leks

Flashlight Enthusiast
Looks like a higher quality version of the zoom lights found on dx, I'll be interested to see how it performs. The romisen rc-29 has made me fall in love with aspherics, and I plan to get a rc-c6 soon as well.

TriChrome

Enlightened
I almost bought the x2000 on DX first, but there was just too many bad reviews on that model (and I think the light looks ugly). It was there where somebody mentioned this model instead, and for $15, I really have nothing to loose to try it out.

I'm also hoping the 18650 cell gives it a little boost in power over the RCR123 I'm running in the Romisen RC-C6.

old4570

Flashlight Enthusiast
MXDL = Low quality light , I've had 5 in the past , given 2 away , one broke and I killed another , and the one left has been moded to Q5 Twisty CR123A .

TriChrome

Enlightened
MXDL = Low quality light
I'm well aware they're no Surefire, but if the quality is around a Romisen, or even the nicer Ultrafire's, I'll be plenty happy for the $15. (I'm now trying to get into aspherics without breaking the bank).

Kaidomain specifies LED as Q2 and I believe so.
Ah, I didn't even know it was on there (and somebody even gave it a good review). The model on QualityChinaGoods has "Q5" written on it, whereas the Kai model doesn't have any marking in that same area. I'll be sure to take macro pictures of the star and we can hopefully tell what LED it really is.

Last edited:

old4570

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm well aware they're no Surefire, but if the quality is around a Romisen, or even the nicer Ultrafire's, I'll be plenty happy for the $15. (I'm now trying to get into aspherics without breaking the bank).

Ah, I didn't even know it was on there (and somebody even gave it a good review). The model on QualityChinaGoods has "Q5" written on it, whereas the Kai model doesn't have any marking in that same area. I'll be sure to take macro pictures of the star and we can hopefully tell what LED it really is.

Must be a real nice MXDL / Mine were no where near as good as my Romisen , or Ultrafire or any other fire .

300winmag

Enlightened
Anybody know of a more powerful light with the same flood to throw option????
Or how about one thats the same size as them Nitecore (1)AA lights?

AlexD

Newly Enlightened
The model on QualityChinaGoods has "Q5" written on it, whereas the Kai model doesn't have any marking in that same area.
There are "Q5" marks on the Kai model but they are painted over on some photos and some not. Moreover I'v got the Kai model and there is "Q5" mark. Can't tell what is the LED by looking at the star.

moviles

Enlightened
like other x2000 models this flashlight have bad heat transfer to the drop in

dropsa.jpg
dropinsa.jpg

someone know some flood to throw with aspheric lens model designed for 20 mm star led and with good heat transfer to the dropin and body flashlight?????

Light Brite

Newly Enlightened
I picked up a number of these and everone who has seen them is impressed by them, especially for the price.

TriChrome

Enlightened
I couldn't deal with the two big black holes in the beam from where the two power wires connect to the LED. (maybe because my first cheap aspheric, the Romisen, didn't have these nearly as bad).

gcbryan

Flashlight Enthusiast
I couldn't deal with the two big black holes in the beam from where the two power wires connect to the LED. (maybe because my first cheap aspheric, the Romisen, didn't have these nearly as bad).

Since it's adjustable, when you have it in the throw position can't you just move the head slightly toward the flood position to slightly defocus the aspheric and eliminate that problem?

I had a similar light until the led bit the dust. If you have ugly rings and other artifacts in the beam like most of these cheap aspherics do here's something for you to try if you're interested.

Take the aspheric lens out and using some translucent Scotch "Magic" tape on the back of the lens just use 4 pieces of tape to make a "#" pattern with a big square area in the middle of the lens with no tape on it. Cut off the excess tape and put the lens back into the light.

Now see how you like the beam pattern. It works with a non-adjustable aspheric flashlight that I modified. It cleans up all of the ugly aspects while still being able to throw very well.

If you do it please report back.

TriChrome

Enlightened
I already sold the light, but de-focusing it to make the beam look better makes the beam slightly larger, less focused, and less bright which would be an even larger detriment than the holes the in-focus beam has.

recDNA

Flashaholic
I'll never understand why it is so hard to find a good 2 X CR123 flashlight with built in aspheric for under $70. It seems like they're all cheap junk or outrageously expensive custom stuff.

It would be great if a good manufacturer like Eagletac or Fenix would make one. Good place to dump their old XP-E R2's that they are replace with XP-G R5's.

Light Brite

Newly Enlightened
What is a "good" aspheric in say the $70 to $150 range? I have a Deerelight with Aspheric head and it has similar rings and wire divots as the sa-28.