Unimpressed by first MC-E's output ?

ACHË

Newly Enlightened
I recently purchased a Lumapower MRV SK Ultra.

This is my first MC-E light and I for whatever reason, I was kind of disappointed by the output, I was expecting A LOT MORE LIGHT to come out...

Does anybody have this light and perhaps another "more popular" MC-E/P7 to compare it to? An M30 Triton, M1X, Epsilon EDP71 or perhaps an ACE-G?

I'm not bashing the MRV here...It's a GREAT light and I'm happy to own it...

I just want to know if I was just expecting waaay too much from an MC-E or if this particular light maybe has a freakishly high Vf emitter by chance, or is driven conservatively to give better battery life, etc...

Thanx In Advance

brianch

Enlightened
Try measuring current, maybe that might solve the problem. My MC-E lights are bright but not THAT much brighter then my single die lights.

Yucca Patrol

Enlightened
These multi-die emitters sometimes don't seem so bright since they do not create a very bright hotspot. Instead, they tend to be very floody. So they put out a good bit more light, but it isn't very well focused . . .

ACHË

Newly Enlightened
Try measuring current, maybe that might solve the problem. My MC-E lights are bright but not THAT much brighter then my single die lights.
That's a good idea; I'll take the multimeter to it when i get home in an hour or so.

These multi-die emitters sometimes don't seem so bright since they do not create a very bright hotspot. Instead, they tend to be very floody. So they put out a good bit more light, but it isn't very well focused . . .
I did notice that; when comparing it to a Q5 thrower, the floody nature of the light seems to 'trick' the eye.

ACHË

Newly Enlightened
Took a measurement at the tail:

It measured ON Max using one 18650 0.39 A :ironic:

It measured ON Max using two 16340's 0.65 A :ironic:

I double checked with several other lights and they read from 1 A to 1.8A as expected.

:thinking: No wonder

What now?

cbxer55

Enlightened
I've had a Olight M30 for several months now, and am quite impressed and happy with its performance. Probably will not be buying another light for some time due to this condition.:cool:

brianch

Enlightened
Took a measurement at the tail:

It measured ON Max using one 18650 0.39 A :ironic:

It measured ON Max using two 16340's 0.65 A :ironic:

I double checked with several other lights and they read from 1 A to 1.8A as expected.

:thinking: No wonder

What now?
Try cleaning contact points and threads. Take light apart and inspect for bad solder points or things that might be interfering with the circuit. If you are worried about voiding your warranty then send the light back to where you bought it if that choice is still available.

csshih

Flashlight Enthusiast
those DMM readings are waay off indeed!
what kind of 18650 cell are you using? (brand)

ACHË

Newly Enlightened
Try cleaning contact points and threads. Take light apart and inspect for bad solder points or things that might be interfering with the circuit. If you are worried about voiding your warranty then send the light back to where you bought it if that choice is still available.

I took apart so far just unscrewing tail/body/head and tested with the battery + touching the terminal right on the SK switch assembly which houses the driver. So far it doesn't seem to be a contact issue but I have yet to try removing the driver/sidekick assembly.

those DMM readings are waay off indeed!
what kind of 18650 cell are you using? (brand)

18650's

-UltraFire Protected Gray label

-UltraFire Protected New Flames & Iridescent Letters

-AW Black Labels

RCR's

-Spiderfire's

CR123 Primaries

-Titanium's(the ones Battery Junction sells)

I ran the test in the same manner on a:

Raidfire Spear = 1.2A Max

&

Jet-II Pro = 1.5A Almost Max

Last edited:

csshih

Flashlight Enthusiast
hm. ok, so it's probably not a battery problem if you've tried all of those. if cleaning it doesn't help, I think it would be best to send the light back to the dealer you bought it from for warranty.

ACHË

Newly Enlightened
Got it used on the CPFM :ironic:

Are MC-E's safe to direct drive on single cells?

=========================================

It kind of sucks that the driver is behaving oddly, but at the same time I'm glad that it's a defective unit and not that this is as bright as one can expect to reasonably go.

I think I'll try a 3A+ SSC P7 running on 2 x 18650's and see if that does it for me.

Last edited:

ACHË

Newly Enlightened
My money's on the driver...

Either it's malfunctioning and putting out little current or it's a low current design focused on runtime.

I didn't know a faulty emitter cause the light to draw less current.

brianch

Enlightened
Swap out the driver. The MC-E and P7s are great floody lights in small light hosts. I use them pretty often when hiking. Get a JETBeam M1X. I borrowed one from a buddy of mine and I love it. Ordered it right away.

ACHË

Newly Enlightened
Swap out the driver. The MC-E and P7s are great floody lights in small light hosts. I use them pretty often when hiking. Get a JETBeam M1X. I borrowed one from a buddy of mine and I love it. Ordered it right away.

I'll give an emitter swap a try.

The M1X...

I've been drooling over one for months now... If it wasn't so darn expensive I'd have two

ACHË

Newly Enlightened
Autopsy Report

COD - Dead Emitter...wont even glow when direct driven.

Notes: Faulty Driver under-driving the mc-e emitter to less than 0.5 amps...

Strange that BOTH weren't working.

It's usually one or the other.

Contacted Manufacturer to check possible solutions..

CASE CLOSED