God, give me a sign!

IlluminatingBikr

Flashlight Enthusiast
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif Wow!

Kinda interesting, not to mention painful, and kind of creepy in a way I guess.

Roy

Farewell our Curmudgeon Administrator
Best be careful what you ask for....you just might get it! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
Now there's a "real flashaholic"!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif (Here's hoping I don't ever qualify for that level of "flashaholism"!!)

tvodrd

*Flashaholic* ,
I saw that on Drudge, thought abt posting, said naah- didn't want to possibly offend anyone /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif .

Larry

d'mo

Enlightened
Hebrews 2:4 At the same time God added his witness to theirs by performing all kinds of miracles and wonders and by distributing the gifts of the Holy Spirit according to his will.

Stainless

Flashlight Enthusiast
"A wicked and adulterous generation asks for a miraculous sign!"

Matthew 12:39
New International Version

(Methinks that the preacher should have been teaching people to NOT ask for a sign - rather than doing so himself. Just a thought.)

Charles Bradshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
For Fundies, if it happens to them, personally, it is a Sign to continue their intolerance. When it happens to someone else, it is a Warning Sign to be Saved (according to the Fundies).

I have noticed this behaviour over time.

Brotherscrim

Enlightened
Every time I think about this, I giggle. Not because someone got struck by lightning, that's unfortunate.

No, what makes me laugh is this;

Imagine, a congregation listening to a preacher in their church. The preacher no doubt talks about how if you let God into your life, He'll make things happen for you. Then the preacher asks for a sign.

He, and the church, get struck by lightning. Upon seeing this, I can't help but imagine that one of the members of the congregation turning to another one and saying "wow, what a freak accident" or "it was just a coincidence."

Apparently, what constitutes a sign has become a bit more exclusive than it used to be, neh?

"Afterward, services resumed for about 20 minutes until the congregation realized the church was on fire. The building was evacuated."

Sure, this was a freak accident, but if one of these jokers find their keys or gets an unexpected check or something, they'll probably be down on one knee praising the beneficience of their creator.

DavidW

Flashlight Enthusiast
re: coincidence

[ QUOTE ]
An old carpenter with many years experience was patching a steep roof of a 2 story house. Being advanced in years his balance was off, his reflexes slow and body stiff. He lost his footing and could not catch himself in time to avert disaster. He was sliding down the roof and could not see anything to grab onto. Seeing his impending doom he cried out "God, save me!" Just before reaching the edge the hammer loop on his overalls snagged something and stopped him right at the edge. He looked towards heaven and said "Never mind Lord, these nails stopped me."

[/ QUOTE ]

We'll never know until judgement day what was coincidence or the Lord's hand. Just remember to thank him at the end of everyday.

P.S. I sincerely believe if a person is willing they will receive a sign. As long as their intentions are righteous.

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Well said David W.! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I think "universal" signs are everywhere; we just need to learn to read......

- Don

Empath

Flashaholic
This particular case appears to me to be classed more as "ironic" rather than a sign. Actually, signs are everywhere and don't need to be miraculous. Of course requesting a sign from God would be to ask for a miracle.

It seems that every miracle comes packaged with a reasonable explanation.

One of my own miracles.

Stainless

Flashlight Enthusiast
"It seems that every miracle comes packaged with a reasonable explanation."

"He walks through the deep, and His footsteps are not seen."

I don't have the scripture reference handy, but I believe that many times "HE" hides His footprints - carefully camoflaging them behind a covering of "reasonable explaination" in order to give us a choice. Do we choose to believe in the reasonable explaination, or do we choose to believe in something much higher and better.

I read a story similar to the old carpenter in a mainstream magazine. True story of a young construction worker falling from about ten stories up - right toward a vertical arrangement of steel rebars that were anchored in concrete awaiting the next pour. Instead of being grossly impaled, one of the rebars sild in between his tool belt and his regular belt, and the ridges on the rebar slowed down his decent enough to leave him with virtually NO injuries.

Personally, if I was going to EVER go back up on the construction sight, I'd MUCH rather choose to believe in an "ever present help in trouble" than to hope that a wonderfull coincidence will occour next time.

d'mo

Enlightened
Stainless,

Psalms 77:17-19 "The clouds poured down rain; thunder crashed from the sky, and lightning flashed in all directions. The crash of your thunder rolled out, and flashes of lightning lit up the world; the earth trembled and shook. You walked through the waves; you crossed the deep sea, but your footprints could not be seen."

Good verses. Reminds me of a joke:

A Police officer knocked on the door of a home. The man living there answered and was told there was a flood coming and he should evacuate immediately. He answered the officer, "God will provide," and remained in his home.

The flood waters rose to the first floor. A boat arrived and a Rescue Worker invited him aboard. He replied, "God will provide."

The flood waters rose and the man was forced onto his roof. A helicopter dropped a rope ladder to him, but again, the man refused and said, "God will provide."

A short time later, he drowned.

When he arrived in heaven, he asked, "God, I trusted in you all my life. How could you let me down like this!?"

God replied, "I sent you a Police officer, a boat and an helicopter. What more did you need?"

The signs are all around us. the problem is, many are too stubborn, too analytical or too complacent to see them. We may not be able to see the hand of God at work, but that doesn't mean he's not there. This, IMO, is the very essence of faith.

Acts 28:27 "All of you have stubborn hearts. Your ears are stopped up, and your eyes are covered. You cannot see or hear or understand. If you could, you would turn to me, and I would heal you."

Stainless

Flashlight Enthusiast
d'mo:
Good joke - I heard a much longer version of it a few years ago. Good message... not so much about ASKING for signs, as much as about READING the "signs of the times" which is something that we ARE supposed to be doing.