I'm running a maratac / A3 on 10280 - Safe?

cottonpickers

Newly Enlightened
I followed Ma Sah1 to cut down my itp and pop in a 10280 from my Draco using these instructions https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/250746

and it looks to me like the light is brighter and wider beam than the Draco. Astounding.

Here's the pic btw. I did a purple version.
Draco, Cut down ITP, AA, Normal ITP

img082b.jpg

My question....
Is it safe to use this on high? Thermal runaway likely? Will it damage the battery? -is the C value to high for a 10280? will it damage the LED or my hand? I can live with the LED going poof (but would prefer it didn't ;-) but don't want a safety issue with the battery going poof.

I've ran it for about 5 mins on high and it does get hot.

I'm asking as I guess I don't fundamentally see how this is much different than a draco . As you can see its slightly larger.

FYI the mod took me about an hour.

cottonpickers

Newly Enlightened
Any thoughts?
The 10280 is rated at 180mah I believe. Not sure what the A3 current draw is on max. Is direct drive (which I assume it must be) too high for this little battery?

ma_sha1

Flashlight Enthusiast
It should be fine.
I've let mine run for 10 minutes non stop in my hand just to test it out. It does get really hot. I have made several XPE key chain lights using 10280 direct drive. One has been on my keychain for 6 month now. The direct drive may get even more current than the regulated cut-down light & I haven't seen any of my 10280 light burn out yet.

Just curious, why did you grind off the ano on the tail? Started as an accident?

Last edited:

cottonpickers

Newly Enlightened
LOL, yes, I don't really have any tools to narrow one end, and widen the other. Believe it not but I used an angle grinder (10mm spinning disk used to cut metal / stone etc) to slim down the spring end. Once I had marked the end I figured best to make the rest match. LOL.

Have to say, its an amazing bright light and useful. Only drawback was getting the tail to stay in. I ended up using plumbers putty which seems to have done the trick now.

Thanks for the feedback, and original instructions.

If anyone else has any experience driving a 10280 hard I'd appreciate it.