LX2: How do you lock out the light coming on?

dwever

Newly Enlightened
The manual says you can lock out the light coming on, but I can't figure out how? (I am using a Galco Cop magazine / Flashlight - Paddle, and the LX2 always turns on at insertion)

And, how does the clip remove?

Thanks!

Last edited:

somber

Newly Enlightened
"The lock-out position disables the tailcap pushbutton switch and is suggested to avoid accidental light activation during storage. From the momentary-on position, rotate the tailcap approximately one and one half turns counter-clockwise to lock the light in the OFF position."

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic
Keep unscrewing the tailcap. Eventually it won't activate anymore by pressing the button.

The clip comes off by taking the head off, removing the O-ring, and then finding the edge of a desk or something and placing the bend of the clip against that and whacking the light where the head was a few times with your palm. Pops right off.

DimeRazorback

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lockout is achieved by turning the tailcap anti-clockwise, a fairly long way.

With the clip, remove the head, then gently but firmly push the clip upwards (along the body) towards where the head was. Be careful as if you push to hard you could damage the threads.

dwever

Newly Enlightened
Yes, a fairly long way works out to a 720 degree turn! Does this compromise the water-proofness? And this is highly impractical to keep pressing the momentary on until it's not working anymore - guess I'll carry the E2DL in my new Galco carrier:

(The Galco Cop magazine / Flashlight - Paddle, great carrier, problem is it is $59. If you carry your light every day, probably worth considering if you can use the space that is also provided for a pistol magazine. Check it out at:

http://www.usgalco.com/HolsterPG3.as...=2009&GunID=48)

Size15's

Flashaholic
I've never felt the need to LockOut SureFire's two-stage push button pressure switch TailCap when I've EDC'd the A2, L2, L1, A2L, and currently LX2.
This is carried either bezel up or bezel down (usually bezel down) clipped inside my pocket.

I can't get the link to the holster you're using to work but perhaps this UI isn't ideally suited to this method of carry...

The only times I LockOut these lights is for storage or transportation. Never for EDC though. I don't think that's common(?)
I may sometimes LockOut the high output only if I specifically only want low output only for the occasional application.

CRIANZA

Newly Enlightened
Just got my LX2. Done all the checks. The tail cap lock out is rubbish, if you turn it enough so that the lamp does not light when you press the button it is just hanging on by half a turn of thread. The risk is the cap will seporate from the body. The line up mark on the tail cap does not aid anything.
All my other SF models are fine E1B & both my 1 & 2 cell Otdoorsman. The LX2 is very bright on high and the low setting is very usefull, much better than the lower 3 & 5 watt in my other models.
I am though really concerned about the life span of the switch, it seems over complicated and the controlling between high & low is tricky. The LX2 cost me £170 here in the UK (should be £200) so much more than the $195 in the states. Converts to about $300 if you bought her ein the UK WOW !.
For this price I am unhappy about some aspects of the LX2. The finish on my example is fisrt rate good colour match.

Size15's

Flashaholic
I've carried every model SureFire has made that uses this TailCap. Years of experience with the A2, L1, L2, K2, LX2 and A2L.

It is rare that I ever need to fully lockout the two-stage switch.
Never needed to for EDC.

The TailCap design gives me confidence. I have zero concerns about the durability or lifespan of it. I am reassured that SureFire will make things right if I ever do experience an issue.

The Hawk

Enlightened
My only experience with something like this is my River Rock 2 AA LED which requires 1/4 turn of tail cap to lock out. It is handy when packing flashlight for transportation.

Owen

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm not familiar with whether the LX2's tailcap is the same as the L1, etc., having not actually seen one in person, or followed that model on here.
If it is, this might solve your issue:
http://www.jsburlysflashlights.com/...ts&catstr=HOME:valiantconceptsflashlightparts
I've had one on a L1, and have two of the E series version for my Z57 and Z61, and they protect against accidental activation well, along with allowing the light to tailstand.
I just don't know if it'll fit your LX2.
Anybody?

Latest posts