Nitecore EX10 SP - A Layman's Perspective

AardvarkSagus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nitecore EX10 SP - Submitted for consideration for the review forum

The SP edition of the venerable Nitecore EX10 is really a collection of updates to the original that end up changing the entire feel of the light. Though visually barely different, the resulting new UI and LED change have really shaken some things up.

EX10-SP-Compare1-500x374.jpg

Nitecore EX10 and EX10 SP

Meat and Potatoes

The Nitecore SP User interface substitutes 3 preselected outputs for the full "infinitely" variable output of the original EX10. This division has created two separate schools of thought on the matter inside the enthusiasts community. One side believes this to be an improvement allowing for simpler/quicker access to usable modes without the hassle of searching for the "right" output to match your needs at a given time, whereas the other group believes that by taking away the full ramping brightness of the EX10 it has given up the very core of what made it unique.

Regardless of your belief on whether the change should have been made, the EX10 SP user interface does present itself useful with its new UI . The three output choices are all excellently placed to provide both highly visible brightness differences and drastically extended runtimes. Nitecore has chosen these levels well, specifically landing on a quality medium mode that is very well balanced.

The extra addition of a strobe and SOS mode to the new user interface really can only be seen as bonuses since it is now much quicker to select the minimum or maximum output through the standard brightness selection action. True the previous direct access to these outputs is now repurposed for the "blinky" modes, but anyone trying to make a case for a small pocketable EDC like this to be used as a tactical light is only fooling themselves. Interesting to note, upon turning the light on in either the Medium or Max modes, they both will switch to low first when engaging the output selection mode making it that much easier to lower your output quickly if less light is wanted.

The most visible change between the old and the new is the use of the Cree XP-E LED rather than the XR-E of the original model. This led is rapidly becoming renown by naturally creating a smoother, more even beam of light in virtually every light where it is used. The EX10 SP is no exception. Where my original EX10 has a hint of a dark ring from the metal collar around the LED dome, the new EX10 SP model has a wonderful corona blending the corona into the spillbeam resulting in a very usable transition. Even the slightly off center emitter is easily forgiven but the nicely textured reflector to create one of the nicest beams I have seen.

EX10-SP1-500x375.jpg

Nitecore EX10 SP

Constructive Criticism

One of my primary concerns with the original EX10 was something I was desperately hoping would be abated with these new changes. My original EX10 has a very pronounced inductor whine present on nearly all levels leaving the light screaming in high pitched terror every time it is used. In flipping through the mere three levels of the SP model, I was highly disappointed to find that the latest sibling in the family suffers from the same whine. Thankfully it is not present in all the levels, left out entirely from min and max. The medium level more than makes up for this, however, with its painful auditory assault. This was something I was desperately hoping would be corrected, but at least they managed to get 2/3 of the way there.

The last addition to the user interface has proven frustrating to me far more than it will likely prove useful, though it may be a case of "your mileage may vary". Nitecore has listened to a selection of its customers who were asking for some method to "lock out" the light preventing accidental activation when necessary and their choice of so doing was an electronic method achieved by holding the button down while the light is off for around 2 seconds. The light will give a brief flash signaling lockdown and refuse to activate again until it senses a rapid triple click or a full reset (by unscrewing and re-tightening the body). Interesting enough though, inevitably upon handing this light to someone who hasn't seen it before, their first action was to accidentally lock the light out and make it appear defective because they can't turn it on. This literally happened to every single person who handled this light, including yours truly. I believe that this could be averted by simply having the light turn on as soon as the button is engaged (like the original EX10) rather than waiting until the button is relaxed. This would prompt the user to release pressure before the threshold required to lock the light down is reached. This appears to me to be a simple change that would greatly benefit the end user.

EX10-SP2-500x375.jpg

Nitecore EX10 SP

Conclusions

The Nitecore EX10 SP model may or may not be an improvement over the original depending on your viewpoint. Regarded as an individual light though, I believe it to be quite capable of holding its own. A smooth beam, well chosen output levels, a beautiful design, and compact size all come together to make a light I am proud to show off any time I carry it.

Provided for review by the kind folks at Nitecore.

Woods Walker

The Wood is cut, The Bacon is cooked, Now it’s tim
Any beam shots? Guess it would look like many other XP-Es. My EX10 XR-E R2 has a nice beam and tint but agree the XP-E (based on my only two XP-Es) seems like a winner. The only sound from my non SP EX10 R2 happens when I ramp it. It's hard to hear unless almost in my ear. Once the mode is set the sound is no more.

Moonshadow

Enlightened
Nitecore has listened to a selection of its customers who were asking for some method to "lock out" the light preventing accidental activation when necessary and their choice of so doing was an electronic method achieved by holding the button down while the light is off for around 2 seconds.
This seems utterly pointless. The original can already be locked out by simply unscrewing half a turn. Quicker to lock and unlock, and virtually impossible for someone to do by accident.

Like most of the other new 'features' not much of an improvement IMHO.

AardvarkSagus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Actually the original doesn't actually lock out at that point. It just becomes a momentary only light. This actually locks it electronically so that it cannot come on at all until you triple click the button to unlock. No momentary or anything.

applevision

Flashlight Enthusiast
Good review, Aardvark.

Though I got the feeling you were going easy on them...:poke:

YMMV is right, but I just don't get these "improvements" and feel that this now really is a much less unique and distinguished light. I still love the piston drive of course, but wow, such a weird thing they've done to get rid of a unique feature.

The lockout sounds like a poor design choice as well.

Oh well, I still love and cherish my original D10 but I guess I had hoped for some further advances by the great folks at NiteCore.

:wave:

AardvarkSagus

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would like to respectfully disagree about going easy on them. I tried to look at this light objectively as its own entity without the premise of the previous lights fantastic UI. In and of itself, it is a usable and decent light with some solidly good points (beam, and level spacing for example). The odd point was that references to the original UI and other good points of the original light kept popping up though I was trying to avoid them.

Without ever seeing the original, this would seem a really nice light. It's only the comparison that really highlights the weak points.

JaguarDave-in-Oz

Enlightened
Without ever seeing the original, this would seem a really nice light. It's only the comparison that really highlights the weak points.
And I'm thinking they are only weak points to some (a majority or minority, I don't know which though).

After a few months of daily use I'm beginning to find that the ramping up or down in my earlier model to eventually find the level I want is becoming a pest. I really only seem to use three different levels of brightness with it so the newer version would make more sense to me if they are quicker to access. There's likely more than just me that sees this new feauture not as a weakness but a strength.

Leaving aside the specific UI that's used to access the digital lockout I think having one is a far better idea than the seemingly half heartedly designed method that involves unscrewing the head a fair way. I would prefer my head screwed up tight so that the unit is rigid and also to keep grit out from between the two joint faces which is something that really annoys me when I have my early one's head a bit unscrewed in my pocket. You can feel it grind grit between the two surfaces when you tighten it back up.

So they aren't necessarily weaknesses to all people, whether in comparison to the earlier models or not.

applevision

Flashlight Enthusiast
Good points, guys.

I see what you mean.

It's still a fantastic light from the sounds of it, maybe even better for some.

I think my main point is that by taking away a unique and interesting feature (ramping), it makes the D10 SP have to compete in a much more competitive arena of other, similarly-featured AA lights. In that arena, it is that much harder to find and celebrate this great light; and for that I lament.

Bierkameel

Newly Enlightened
I love the SP version!
I had an original EX10 with a messed up piston so i sold it, but I had to own a Nitecore again so I ordered a new D10 SP R2, great light and the piston is very smooth.
The lockout function is great for a pocket light.
It came with the digi camo and the 8mm tritium installed, a special Nitecore version.

2%7E14.jpg

corvettesR1

Enlightened
Just just ordered a Nitecore EX10 from 4 sevens.Its a XR-E Q5 WC version.Im curious to see if it will make any noises.

jslappa

Enlightened
Actually the original doesn't actually lock out at that point. It just becomes a momentary only light. This actually locks it electronically so that it cannot come on at all until you triple click the button to unlock. No momentary or anything.

True, only the D20 has a full lockout. One turn to get momentary, 2 full turns to get full lockout. There is no way for the piston to touch the ground retaining ring at that point. the EX10's threads just aren't long enough to unscrew and prevent a full lockout. But I am sure that's what was meant.

Bierkameel,

I liked your last post of this light, so i grabbed one from a US dealer. Sadly, without a trit. In person, the camo is really well done. It's just as nice as Swissbianco's splash ano. (Though I like his designs better) Here is a shot of some of my D10's. Not in the shot are Swissbianco's
Sunspot, Whetstone, Patriot, 2 more D10's, 2 more EX10's and a D20. Some are off to get some beautiful colors applied to them. Since 9 of them are EX10's, this pic should be a little relevant for this thread. I'll post an after shot, when I get many of them back with their new colors.
IMG_0560.jpg

Last edited:

Gatsby

Enlightened
A very nice review! Personally I think Liteflux got the UI best in the LF3XT compact mode where you can ramp from any level but the user level is remembered - making it effectively a programmable 3 mode light with very easy adjusting. Best of all worlds (although I do wish it would also have included memory of the last setting used like in full mode).

The original EX10 was an interesting light - great form factor, nice beam and some good add on features including a decent clip for those who like them - but the UI drove me crazy as I do switch modes somewhat often and use lowest low a good bit at night - it drove me crazy to always have to hunt and seek the mid level again any time I wanted to use either high or low. This version seems to be a bit more confusing - they eliminated the toggling ability (one thing that I love with the Arc4/HDS/Novatac/Ra UI as well as the LF3XT CUI) and added two less than popular disco modes ... other than the form factor I'm not sure it is bringing anything to the table not found in other three speed lights. A bit of a puzzling update I think ... but that is just based on what I like in a light.

I think if I were looking for a small clickie CR123 based light I'd lean more towards the Lumapower Incendio which is small, has three modes with no disco, memory of last mode used as well as the ability to lock in a mode for easier momentary use which seems like a nice feature.

Last edited:

gunga

Flashaholic
I love the SP version!
I had an original EX10 with a messed up piston so i sold it, but I had to own a Nitecore again so I ordered a new D10 SP R2, great light and the piston is very smooth.
The lockout function is great for a pocket light.
It came with the digi camo and the 8mm tritium installed, a special Nitecore version.

Wow, so where did you get one with a trit installed?

jimmy1970

Flashlight Enthusiast
Having owned 2 D10 Q5's, 1 D10 GDP, 1 EX10 Q5 & 1 EX10GD, I can say that after receiving the new EX10 SP R2, I am very impressed.

The one main improvement is the beam quality. The Q5 models I have experienced have the usual ringy beam.:green: The GD lights I have don't have the rings but do have the purple/yellow beam.:green:

Whether you like the UI or not, the improvement in beam quality is undeniable. I do like the new UI but even if I didn't, I would still prefer the new version due to the vast improvement in beam quality.

It is true that when handing the light to a layman, they do tend to hold the button down too long and unwittingly perform a button lock out.

However, apart from this problem, the Low, Medium, High mode selection is both quicker and more intuitive to most people than the hold down, 6 second ramp of the older model with double click for low and click/hold for high.

By loosing the ramping feature, some say that the light has lost its unique flavour - maybe that's true. However, IMHO, the increase in power, improvement in beam quality and quicker access to the medium level more than makes up for the new lights' perceived lack of individuality.

James....:)

Last edited:

applevision

Flashlight Enthusiast
Having owned 2 D10 Q5's, 1 D10 GDP, 1 EX10 Q5 & 1 EX10GD, I can say that after receiving the new EX10 SP R2, I am very impressed.

The one main improvement is the beam quality. The Q5 models I have experienced have the usual ringy beam.:green: The GD lights I have don't have the rings but do have the purple/yellow beam.:green:

Whether you like the UI or not, the improvement in beam quality is undeniable. I do like the new UI but even if I didn't, I would still prefer the new version due to the vase improvement in beam quality.

It is true that when handing the light to a layman, they do tend to hold the button down too long and unwittingly perform a button lock out.

However, apart from this problem, the Low, Medium, High mode selection is both quicker and more intuitive to most people than the hold down, 6 second ramp of the older model with double click for low and click/hold for high.

By loosing the ramping feature, some say that the light has lost its unique flavour - maybe that's true. However, IMHO, the increase in power, improvement in beam quality and quicker access to the medium level more than makes up for the new lights' perceived lack of individuality.

Very nice post--thanks!

Moonshadow

Enlightened
Whether you like the UI or not, the improvement in beam quality is undeniable. I do like the new UI but even if I didn't, I would still prefer the new version due to the vast improvement in beam quality.
OK, but those are two separate issues. They could also have offered the new emitter with the existing UI.

corvettesR1

Enlightened
I hope I didnt make a mistake in purchasing the Q5 version of the ex10 over the R2. I always though the Q5 was a nice beam. Hope its not greenish with lots of rings :(.Ill always have my LF3XT to fall back on .UPDATE/my new EX10 came today . Its quiet and makes no noises of any kind.very nice beam quality and brightness but The button is hard to press. LiteFlux LF3XT got it right .

Last edited:

jimmy1970

Flashlight Enthusiast
OK, but those are two separate issues. They could also have offered the new emitter with the existing UI.
Yes, the new emitter with the old UI would be a great improvement. However, I don't see that happening soon.

I don't know about other people, but my most used light level is the medium setting in all of my lights. With the old EX10 UI, you never could guarantee yourself of achieving the same consistent medium level with the ramping sequence - achieving a medium level was also comparitively slow. You also had to contend with the occasional 'ramping bug' getting in the way requiring another 'press-hold' for the ramping sequence to begin.

With the new UI, the light scrolls through all 3 light levels, Low, Medium, High by simply holding down the button - nice, simple & fast.

Whilst the button lock can be accidently activated by the unititiated, having no electronic button lock at all (old UI) has proven more of a problem in my experience.

Last edited:

SFfanman

Enlightened
There are some awesome points here. :sssh:
I have owned both the regular R2 and the R2 SP. I already miss the regular one. I had the SP sent back as the button was very very hard to press resulting in constant lockout and then triple click to start. So it turned from a 1 touch ON to a 4 touch ON light. Nevertheless, I dug very much the 3 selectable levels with quick level change capability. The beam itself is an awesome improvement, however, because of the smaller emitter there seems to be a smaller hotspot. The hotspot to spill is very nice but I prefered the original size hotspot even if there was less smoothness from spot-to-spill. All in all, a great little light and if I could have my way I would shoot for a 4 mode SP model with XR-E or XP-G :huh: and with the orange peeled SP reflector!