Need a recommendation

Chris T

Newly Enlightened
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/help.gif

I am looking for a light (at my wife's request) that will be suited for a specific task. We are resident caretakers for a nature preserve and one of our responsibilites is security. This time of year it is common for people to trespass after dark. The parking lot that these people use is 2/10ths of a mile from our front door. My Streamlight Propolymer Xenon will just barely let you see the reflectors on cars parked that far away if the angle is right. What I am looking for is a something with a brighter spot than the 3C. I am wary of rechargeables because the light may sit for a month or more in the winter without use. Also, I would like to get something in the shape of a tubular light (a la Mag, Streamlight, etc) and not a Q-Beam type spot. Any suggestions?

IlluminatingBikr

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sounds like you need something with 30mm optics. The Blaster II would be nice, but if you want something brighter, shoot for the Blaster VI or V.

keithhr

Flashlight Enthusiast
2/10 of a mile is over 1000 feet, your talking serious illumination. I'm thinking of 3,000,000 candle power dual beam Vector spotlight that I bought at Target for $44. Blaster or Spaceneedle probably isn't up to the task of illuminating anything close to that and I own both.

pedalinbob

Flashlight Enthusiast
the spotlight would certainly give enough light!

though you arent interested in rechargeables, maybe a light that sits on a charger would work. i think some examples are the magcharger, ultrastinger, tigerlight, etc.

i dont own any of the above (except a 2 million cp spot--and it will definitely illuminate something 1/4 mi away), but there are many on this board that could give more info.

happy hunting!

Bob

JSamilo

Newly Enlightened
I would sugguest the SF M6 just to be sure, you may be able to get away with the M4 with HOLA, but you'd only get 20 min of battery life on 4 SF123As /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon23.gif . Also, you could use that 500 Lumen HOLA to blast 'em away /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/twak.gif

If you've got the money, the X990 would definitely be up to the job, but it doesn't have a traditional flashlight shape.

lhz

Newly Enlightened
The M6 will be an excellent choice because of its relatively compact size and good ergonomics. That 500 lumen HOLA is a sight to behold. But its expensive, and expensive to run. If you do not want to spend that much , UK's SL6 is a good choice. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif Only problem is that you'll have to remove the batteries if you're going to leave it unused for months, and the grip is not exactly very comfortable.

Viper

Newly Enlightened
I would try the Tigerlight. I know it's a re-chargeable, but mine has sat for 2 weeks off the charger, and I doubt it even lost it's charge. I think they loose 1% a day, so you could easily go 2 months and not have to worry about it.

Otherwise, I would get the M6. I don't own one, but if it's comparable to the Tigerlight, it should throw just fine.

Jason Burns

Newly Enlightened
I would say the King Pelican Dive light. Definitely not a traditional shape but with 8 d cells it beats my UK6 handily. Without going to a true spotlight it would be tough to beat. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

Chris T

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the input. The M6 looks nice but the price is a lot higher than I was looking to spend. The UK SL6 looks more affordable. Does anyone have hands on experience with this on?

pal251

Newly Enlightened
we have the streamlight rechargable spotlights in the jail
and they are very bright. Dont know about half a mile or whatever you need but we go outside and look at the building for broke windows and such and its very bright

Chris T

Newly Enlightened
Re: Need a recommendation (Round 2)

Okay. I'm rethinking the rechargeable aspect here. I read in the Streamlight Stinger literature that the light can remain in the charger indefinitely without harm to the NiCad pack. Does anyone have experience with the Ultra Stinger? (I believe this is the brightest Stinger).

Chris