Good Thrower for $50-$75? MG RX-1?

dmanindfw

Newly Enlightened
After just receiving my first REAL flashlight (a MG PLI MC-E) this past weekend, I guess you can say that I am now hooked. As this is a very good flood with some reach, I am thinking about what would be a good complement to this light. Ideally I am looking for something that can throw but will still be useful (i.e. not just laser beam like).

From looking at numerous threads here, I think my top 3/4 considerations would be: MG RX-1, Tiablo A10-G or Tiablo ACE-G, and the Solarforce L950m (or whatever the current one is). However, I think that really the only one that fits my self imposed budget is the MG RX-1 unless of course I can find a good deal on a used Tiablo or Solarforce.

I should also mention that I am looking for a light that I can use with my current investment in a Pila IBC charger and AW 18650 2600 cells. It will also be nice if the light can support more than a single cell.

My questions are:
1) Does MG still make the RX-1?
2) Does anyone besides shiningbeam offer this? I haven't seen these on his site for a long time so not sure if they are still being made.
3) IF they are still made are their any tube extensions made so I could run multiple cells.
4) Are there any other lights that would fit my criteria that I should consider?
5) Best bets for finding any of my other options (Tiablo or Solarforce) at a good price (used or new).

Sorry for the flood of questions, just trying to weigh my options here.

cccpull

Enlightened
Last I read, MG/Shiningbeam does still make the RX1, but they seem to make it in small batches and also seem to sell fairly quickly. Shiningbeam practices the peculiarity of removing items from their website which are not in stock, as opposed to simply stating out of stock and an approximate eta, which in turn confuses future customers of their product availablity. :confused:
If you're interested in the RX1 you should go to their siite and e-mail them, their customer service and prodcuts are very good.:thumbsup:

Rexlion

Enlightened
As you read up in the forum on the RX-1, be aware that there has been a Q5 emitter version and a MC-E version. The Q5 is going to be less bright, but will throw farther, than the MC-E. The most recent RX-1s being produced have been MC-E.

If you want something similar to the PLI but with somewhat more focused beam, then you would probably like the MC-E version.

If you just want a really tight throw beam to reach as far as you can (for the dollars spent) with little spill, you can ask Shiningbeam if they're going to make any more with single-die emitter like Q5 or R2. Another affordable possibility along these lines: I picked up a RQ (Raidfire Spear clone) on the MP for (IIRC) about $30 early in the fall. Nice throw and a good looking light.

dmanindfw

Newly Enlightened
I picked up a RQ (Raidfire Spear clone) on the MP for (IIRC) about $30 early in the fall. Nice throw and a good looking light.

You lost me on the RQ on the MP for IIRC part. Can you please clarify this for me a bit?

I'm also very surprised that there weren't more recommendations out there for me. Any other ideas?

angelofwar

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Lowes 3-Watt task Force (Lowes) or the Rayovac 4-Watt out-doorsman (sears/kmart)...$30-$40...nice beams and decent construction and you can see them in person before ya buy.

NonSenCe

Flashlight Enthusiast
below polar circle.. in country which used to make
mp= market place (cpf mp)
iirc= if i recall correctly

just finding a decent led light for that price range of yours is a tough task.. to find a good thrower light is even more demanding.. so your options are limited.

to add one more: dereelight makes good throwers too (dbs)

not sure if the mce rx1 will beat the mce pli by significant margin.. the output is similar only the tighter beam of rx gives small edge. im happy with my warm tinted mce rx1 but i have no experience with pli.. i just chose the rx1 because it was a bit more throwy.. and i liked the q5 version too. so for true long distance throw.. look for h.i.d. or single led thrower like mentioned tiablos dbs raidfires etc ..mce and p7 leds are more flood oriented by nature.