Flashlight for breast pocket

cityevader

Enlightened
Hello, I'm a professional mechanic who works in a dungeon. My main light source is a Black Diamond Spot headlamp and Streamlight Jr led 2AA. I lost my first generation one a couple years ago, and last year got a replacement that has regulation which I love. The modest 55 lumens is almost good enough, the artifacts don't matter due to uneven surfaces it's shining on, and has a decent combo of spot and spill to prevent glare from hotspot, length is perfect; any shorter (like my Surefire E2) and when bending over it'll flip out of breast pocket and land in coolant bucket (ask how I know) and I love the tailcap switch and bezel down in pocket.......

But I can't stand the pocket clip slipping and sliding around.

Does anybody know of a similar length light, 2AA preferred, that has a nice and tight pocket clip that's maybe screwed on, that has a bezel down/tailcap up position in breast pocket, that may even have a little more output (without super hotspot and maybe 80-ish lumens?) that could stand up to all day use/dropping/coolant bucket?

gbelleh

Newly Enlightened
+1 on the Quark AA2. The Quarks have nice strong clips, and plenty of modes to fit your needs.

JaguarDave-in-Oz

Enlightened
Though only single AA, my Nitecore D10 R2 has a beam that seems perfect for the work you describe (since I often use it for mechanic-ing type duties too) and has a super strong pocket clip that slips over my overalls top pocket lip with relative ease but stays exactly where I put it with no slipping round in the pocket or falling out into the tub of oil I've just drained. It's also got a lovely knurled body that gives decent grip for the greasy hands.

parnass

Flashlight Enthusiast
You like the 2AA light you have now except it won't stay put in your pocket. Instead of replacing the entire flashlight, consider replacing the pocket clip or modifying it to improve its grip.

I applied heat shrink tubing to a slippery pocket clip on my 1AA light and that enhanced the clip's grip.

You might solder or epoxy an alligator clip to the pocket clip and use the alligator clip to grasp your shirt pocket.

tbenedict

Enlightened
I know it doesn't fit your description exactly, but I have found my Zebralight (I have H501W) quite useful clipped on a pocket. I think it would a very handy hands free solution working on a vehicle. Lots of flood with out being blinded from the reflection.

I really like my Quark, but I would imagine it would be too heavy in a shirt pocket. I would think something like the Preon 2AAA or the Maratac/ITP 1AAA would be the ideal shirt pocket light if you were open to AAA's.

cityevader

Enlightened
hmmm, that Quark tactical may just fit the bill perfectly, should I ever get an extra few bucks to spend.

Great advice on addressing the problem and keeping the light, so I put a bit of shrink tubing over the clip, which helps some, but it's still a very weak steel, with zero spring-back "memory".

For now, I'll live with it since it is just adequate enough, not bad enough to replace yet, but the Quark is on top of the list!

sol-leks

Flashlight Enthusiast
Flashlight for breastpocket immediately brings the Preon and Fenix LD05 to mind, even though they are both 2xAAA not AA. However, they are both more than bright enough for your needs and perhaps you would appreciate the small sizer and lesser weight.

I think you might also want to consider a 1xaa clicky. You could easily achieve the brightness you want and have something much lighter and more maneuverable to use. The quark AA would definitely be an admirable choice.

You also mentioned that you get alot of use out of your headlamp, so maybe a zebralight would fulfil both your needs for a small close range light as well as a headlamp.

It sounds like price is also a concern keeping you from jumping on the quark. You should definitely consider making the investment, a good light is worth it, but there is nothing wrong with being budget oriented. If that is the case definitely check out shiningbeam.com, you could get a RC-N3 II or a kingpower or an ITP for a very reasonable price.

Last edited:

applevision

Flashlight Enthusiast
I know it doesn't fit your description exactly, but I have found my Zebralight (I have H501W) quite useful clipped on a pocket. I think it would a very handy hands free solution working on a vehicle. Lots of flood with out being blinded from the reflection.

I really like my Quark, but I would imagine it would be too heavy in a shirt pocket. I would think something like the Preon 2AAA or the Maratac/ITP 1AAA would be the ideal shirt pocket light if you were open to AAA's.

+1! I am literally wearing my H501W in my pocket right now!

I just traded out my Preon which is a great light as well, but I really wanted a warm tint since I use it to take photos.:grin2:

cityevader

Enlightened
For this particular application, smaller isn't necessarily better. In fact, almost certainly worse. There have been a great many times when flashlight has fallen down into an engine compartment and does the "Plinko" (game from The Price Is Right show) and ends up deep in the bowels of the beast, so the longer it is (up to a point of course) the sooner it'll stop its descent. Also, this light is used solely in the breast pocket of uniform, it's never carried elsewhere, and actually stays in toolbox when off the clock.

The Preon is elegant but too big a gap between medium and high output (but that depends, may be fine if floody?), but I love how the clip is all the way to the back which makes for a perfect length.

The output options of the Quark tactical are better suited. Plus the clip looks like it's true spring steel!

Good thing I don't have to decide right this minute, tough choice!

sol-leks

Flashlight Enthusiast
Heh, well we could keep throwing options at you, but it kinda sounds like your mind is made up :twothumbs

cityevader

Enlightened
Unless someone comes up with another one to consider.....but it's still a toss up. Preon with Quark output modes?

Zeroignite

Newly Enlightened
The Preon is elegant but too big a gap between medium and high output (but that depends, may be fine if floody?), but I love how the clip is all the way to the back which makes for a perfect length.
In fact, the way the eye and brain perceive brightness is non-linear, so the medium mode of the Preon looks perfectly between the low and the high.

syncytial

Newly Enlightened
Here's another option... an AAA light.

Sunlite manufactures a range of lights that are aimed at the mechanics of the world. They are modular, using interchangeable heads and bodies.

There are a few penlight models, and although they use AAA cells, the runtime of the 3AAA Sunlight Slim 100 lumen light is quoted as seven hours.

There are flex extensions available which are usable with the Slim, and heads with either 65 or 100 lumens, in different tints.

If you don't need multiple levels, and like a somewhat longer light, these might be appealing.

They are available directly from the manufacturer, as well as some dealers.

There have been reviews here of various models. Here are a few useful threads:

RyanRPM's review of the two-cell Slim2, with lots of pictures showing the mix and match possibilities.

Another brief review from mightysparrow.

HKJ's recent AAA Beamshot thread that includes the 100 lumen cool and warm Slims, Slim2, and the Slim Jr. You'll also find info on the Preons and other currently "hot" AAA lights.

For more, search is your friend.

In reality, there are now lots of shirt-pocket sized lights that would cover your basic needs. With so many choices, it allows you to find one (or two!) that fit your requirements quite closely.

- Syncytial

Crimson

Newly Enlightened
I have a Quark AA2 that I have also used at work (as a mechanic) and it works well. However, the clip on these is not tight from the factory, at least mine isn't. On the single AA tube it's perfect since the clip rests on the head. On the 2 cell lights the clip rests on the body which is smaller in diameter, so the clip just barely touches. On the other hand it is very easy to pop the clip out and bend it where you want so don't let it stop you from getting the light. Just know that you will likely need to make an adjustment when you get it.

Illum

Flashaholic

It is worthy to note that the PWM frequency of Preons may not work for everyone. :candle:

I've been looking for a decent breastpocket light as well. Streamlight stylus comes to mind for ultimate portability, but unfortunately 3xAAAA might be hard to come by.

Personally I have resorted to EDCing my muyshondt Aeon on my USB thumb drive and tucking it in the pocket as I head to campus/work

cityevader

Enlightened
but unfortunately 3xAAAA might be hard to come by.

I never got around to doing this with my Stylus due to limited performance anyway...but if you take apart an alkaline 9v you get 6 cells that are just a tad shorter than AAAA. Work fine in a side by side spring clip AAA device if you can bend the clips just right (cheaper than AAA's). But in a series stack arrangement like a Stylus, the shortness adds up quick. Should be easy enough to use tiny magnets or dummy spacer piece.

I looked closer at the Nitecore D10 as previously recommended, and totally love how far back the clip is....but again, it looks like cheap bendy metal rather than nice stiff spring steel, or am I wrong Jaguar Dave?

jchoo

Enlightened
The D10 clip is fairly substantial. It's some kind of chrome plated alloy, but I didn't have any issues with the light shifting or falling out of pockets when using it. Alas, I gave that light to my uncle, not realizing that I wouldn't be able to find a replacement - everyone seems to be sold out of D10s!

alphavuk

Newly Enlightened
can someone tell me the diameter of the bezel at the very tip of the itp c8r? the site has it listed at 1.06in which i believe is the widest part. curious if it can fit comfortably in jeans all day or shirt pocket for edc.

DavidNL

Newly Enlightened
I like my Streamlight Stylus Pro...takes 2xaaa, easy to carry in breast pocket, good clip, quite bright.