New SureFire throw levers?

Brownstone

Enlightened
I've noticed that the newer M952 and M962 weaponlights feature a different throw lever than the old ones. The previous generation M9X2 used A.R.M.S. #17 throw lever mounts. The newer ones use a different design.

Two questions if anybody has any insight here:

First, why did SureFire change the design? Was the A.R.M.S. mount lacking, was it for cost control, or was it some other reason?

Second (and this is the one I'm most curious about), who makes the new mount? I've only seen them online, not in person, but the design doesn't look like any of the ones I'm familiar with. Is this a SureFire custom design, or just something I don't recognize?

Thanks all!

TriChrome

Enlightened
I can only speculate, but I'm pretty familiar with firearm mounts, and I've never seen a throw lever quite like that so it may be Surefire's own design.

As to why they replaced the ARMS mount, it's probably because most people know to stay away from that brand on things like red-dots, so I can't see them being the best choice for flashlights either (although an exact return to zero isn't needed on a flashlight, but is needed on a scope, so they probably always fared decently).

c0t0d0s0

Enlightened
A.R.M.S. throw lever mounts are overhyped, overpriced crap.

Made of pot metal. Cannot be adjusted to different sized rails. Get loose with use. Prone to accidental release. Levers break off. Also, it is worth noting that A.R.M.S. as a company has serious honesty and integrity issues. My guess is that SF just doesn't their products to be associated with them in any way.

Good riddance.

Brownstone

Enlightened
Ok; shortcomings of A.R.M.S. noted (although return to zero isn't critical on a flashlight).

What about the design of the lever? Anybody recognize it?

Latest posts