Help! What to do with my JET-III PRO ST BVC R2

sed6

Enlightened
I waited and waited and finally got my Jetbeam from Ethan at Lightjunction. Problem is, I don't like it! It's wayyy too easy to enter the program mode and thus accidentally reprogram one of it's three levels.

Seems like every time I turn the light on it's been reprogramed. Originally I had 100%, 50% and moon mode. That quickly became 100/100/moon then 100/100/moon, then moon/moon/100, you get the drift.

Sure I've reprogramed it to the 100/50/moon, several time in fact, but geeze it takes FOREVER to reach 100% on that light when reprogramming!

I've used the light with both the factory installed reverse clicky and a forward clicky I got from BOG. I'd read the forward clicky was difficult to get into program mode which is just what I was looking for after my experience with the reverse clicky. Well let me say, it's not any better.

This is my first JetBeam light (well I returned my RRT-0) and my first 18650 light. I like the idea of owning a JET and one needs to move to 18650's eventually, but this is frustrating.

Should I return it, live with it, find a way to disable the program mode? What would you do?

Bass

Enlightened
I have the Jetbeam JET-III PRO ST BVC R2 M. Has the same circuit as the Jet III Military - only two modes. High and programmable IBS, entered via turning the head. Perhaps this model might suit you better?

Some pictures:

Jetbeam-JET-III-ST-R2-M-01a.jpg

Jetbeam-JET-III-ST-R2-M-02.jpg

Compared to Jet III Military:
Jetbeam-JET-III-ST-R2-M-03.jpg

berry580

Flashlight Enthusiast
imo, it souns more like u don't know how to enter the program mode.

first go to the mode that you want to change, THEN swiftly (but not hastily, and DON'T CUT CORNERS) half-press 3 times and you should be in.

see if that helps.

otherwise i'd be happy to take it for $20 + postage ^^
I waited and waited and finally got my Jetbeam from Ethan at Lightjunction. Problem is, I don't like it! It's wayyy too easy to enter the program mode and thus accidentally reprogram one of it's three levels.

Seems like every time I turn the light on it's been reprogramed. Originally I had 100%, 50% and moon mode. That quickly became 100/100/moon then 100/100/moon, then moon/moon/100, you get the drift.

Sure I've reprogramed it to the 100/50/moon, several time in fact, but geeze it takes FOREVER to reach 100% on that light when reprogramming!

I've used the light with both the factory installed reverse clicky and a forward clicky I got from BOG. I'd read the forward clicky was difficult to get into program mode which is just what I was looking for after my experience with the reverse clicky. Well let me say, it's not any better.

This is my first JetBeam light (well I returned my RRT-0) and my first 18650 light. I like the idea of owning a JET and one needs to move to 18650's eventually, but this is frustrating.

Should I return it, live with it, find a way to disable the program mode? What would you do?

sed6

Enlightened
I have the Jetbeam JET-III PRO ST BVC R2 M. Has the same circuit as the Jet III Military - only two modes. High and programmable IBS, entered via turning the head. Perhaps this model might suit you better?

So do you enter program mode by turning the head, or do you turn the head to switch between HI and the programed mode?

Bass

Enlightened
So do you enter program mode by turning the head, or do you turn the head to switch between HI and the programed mode?

It is both. With the head fully tightened, the ST is on Max and is not programmable. Repeated clicks of the tail cap will just turn the light on / off.

Loosen the head and you enter the level you have set with the IBS programmable mode (for example medium). If you wish to re-programme this mode, quickly half press the tail switch three times within a second and you will enter the ramping mode (IBS). The light will automatically run through the brightness levels and blinks once at minimum, twice at medium and three times at max. There is no need for you to click the tail switch, the light will ramp on it's own.

If you want strobe or SOS, turn the light on and off within a second whilst in the ramping mode and let the light automatically cycle through the blinky modes (1hz - 15hz in incremental stages; takes about 8-10 seconds to complete the sequence - again, no need to click the tail cap in this time, it will ramp automatically).

When it is at the level you want (brightness or strobe frequency), turn the light off for more than 2 seconds to store your setting. This setting is memorized and will always come on your defined setting when the head is loosened.

If it is your first time with Jetbeam IBS, it may take a few goes to get it right but once you have mastered the clicking / ramping it is a brilliant system.

Your light has three of these programmable modes, versus the one for the M model. The M models max mode can't be changed by accident but it only has two output settings (Max and IBS). I prefer this personally but everyone will have different uses for their lights, so I can't say if it would suit you.

texbaz

Newly Enlightened

I would return it. You will never be happy with it. I have a Jet-III PRO ST BVC and my biggest problem is entering program mode accidentally. Usually happens once a day. Jet should have put a little more thought into like maybe 10 half presses but, with a 3 mode programed light output when trying to go the third preset quickly you can easily enter program mode.
Most users that don't experience this probably don't use regularly.

I use mine regularly at work, I have it set for low med high at home. I change to High med low at work now to help keep from going to the program mode then I re-program back to low med high when get off work. The plus side is it is an 18650 light that has good run time and is not real large even pocketable.

Get a Ra 170 and about 6 rechargeable AW's you won't need anything else.

jhc37013

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes I have the problem also not so often but when it happens its really annoying.

With my BVC model I have to program mode B if I am really trying to program C, and C if I am trying to program A. My 18650 R2 model does not do this. Its disappointing because they are such nicely made lights and thats why I guess I havn't traded them.

If I could do it over I would get what member Bass says and get that BVC M

Henk_Lu

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a Jet-III Pro Titanium with a forward clicky installed...

Well, the light is probably easier to use with the forward clicky, but programming it is very tricky, even more because my manual misses the page where it is explained, it has the previous page double... :sick:

I asked for a reverse clicky, if the dealer has one, I'll get it. The UI is a real catastrope!

It works like this in fact : There are three levels, available by light clicking before you push the forward clicky in. The problem is, that it enters programming mode with 3 light clicks within a second. So, if you don't pay attention to not click more than 2 times rapidly, to enter a level, you end up in programming mode and you even don't know which of the three modes you are re-programming and there's a 66,66% chance you mess your modes up... :ohgeez:

I keep the light as I wanted (and currently have) all three titanium Jetbeams as a collection. The beam of the Jet-III Pro is great, floodier and more universal than the Jet-III-M.