Getting the head off a Romisen RC 29 II

dirtech

Enlightened
Anyone know how to do it? I tried twisting by hand as hard as I could with no luck. I want to replace the driver.

TIA

Dirtech

liketotallyrandom

Newly Enlightened
If it's like the RC-C6, then remove the external ring holding in the lens, then remove the lens, then remove the silver ring the lens rests on, then remove the tailcap, then screw the body tube UP through the head.

Last edited:

dirtech

Enlightened
Thanks.

ETA- everything came apart easily. I'm going to see if I can get an 18mm 2 mode driver for a lithium recharble to fit with some fiddling.

Last edited:

dirtech

Enlightened
I got it to work. The 18mm driver was slightly grinded down and the opening was slightly opened up. Not sure that made any difference because it still wouldnt fit all the way in. I didn't even solder the driver to the pill, but when you screw the pill into the body the driver seems to be held in place quite well. Now I have two modes and 14500 capability with a 7135 1amp driver. Seems much brighter. :twothumbs

ETA- took some before and after pics but they aren't good enough to really show the difference.

dirtech

Enlightened
The lens feels like plastic. I like it alot. The host is very upgradable and comes apart easily. I was underwhelmed with the stock driver and alkaline AA, but with a 14500 at 1amp its very bright and a great thrower. I bought it just to play around with, but I find myself using the flood mode on low for running trails when its dark(I don't worry about dropping it). I use the light focused when walking at night to spot wildlife. I find flood distracting when all I want to see is far away. That being said there is a faint moonish flood that allows me to see where I'm walking.

If a more powerful 18650 version were produced, I'd would definately get another. Preferably with some knurling and a pocket clip.

Casper507

Newly Enlightened
I've got a RC-29 and a AA size Userdefined output programable UI which remembers 3 modes. Now if I could just bolt the electronics of that with the 5c bin led I got in the RC I'd have the perfect Nimh/LiIon; errrr possibly but it probably won't cure me yet :thinking:

dirtech

Enlightened
I've got a RC-29 and a AA size Userdefined output programable UI which remembers 3 modes. Now if I could just bolt the electronics of that with the 5c bin led I got in the RC I'd have the perfect Nimh/LiIon; errrr possibly but it probably won't cure me yet :thinking:

Where did you get that driver and what is the size and voltage range.

Casper507

Newly Enlightened
Where did you get that driver and what is the size and voltage range.

google Spiderfire C13 Cree Q5 IBS self define for the flashlight exactly like I have. It will show following specs
100% Brand New
CREE XR-E Q5 Bulb - Max 210 lumens
3 Mode Operation
Brightness A > Brightness B > Strobe > SOS
Brightness adjustment 0.4%-100%,
Flash frequency 0.001-0.2sec

I disassembled both flashlights to look. Both may exchange LED and electronics within their perspective raw aluminum threaded mounts. I'm not sure if you could exchange Q5 for Q3 5c LEDs on top of their perspective electronics. I haven't tried and I'm not sure I want to turn 55 bucks worth of flashlights into unused parts if it doesn't work. :eek:
The C13 works both with 1.2 Nimh and 4.2 LiIon. Output is lower with AA as apposed to LiIon. I'm not sure that the ones advertised now don't have a slightly newer LED than mine in the C13 but mine is easily over 200 lumens with fresh 14500 at 4.2. If you could put the C13 user interface into the RC-29 with the tint of the 5c I'd love the resulting flashlight. As it is until I get brave enough to experiment I'll stick with carrying both. Runtime with the RC-29 is about half the C13 30 vs 50-60 min.