New/used Pros/cons. ?

waddup

Flashlight Enthusiast
i always prefer used,

1.no wait, seller has item ready to ship.
2.item is used, and tested working, very unlikely it will arrive faulty.
3.typically half the cost of new.

and maybe a couple others.

ive bought a couple new lights, but much prefer used. :candle:

Why buy new?

cant think of any ?

:grin2:

kramer5150

Flashaholic
-No chance of the item being miss-used or abused when buying new. Abuse and neglect can occur on many levels, many of which are not readily visible.

-"Like New", "9.5 condition", "Never abused" can mean completely different things to different people.

-Many manufacturer warranties (either lifetime or limited) are non transferable.

-When/if you decide to sell, you can claim to be the original owner and you can guarantee the item has not been abused or used improperly.

-Theres always the risk of cigarette smell, and body odors when buying anything used (a condition I have encountered surprisingly often when buying used stuff on ebay). Anyone into guitar collecting and restoration will know what I mean, but I have encountered this with flashlights as well. Surefire Nitrolon is particularly susceptible to odor absorption:green:.

-Fresh, new O-rings. Most people do not lube their O-rings enough.

Last edited:

DimeRazorback

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm a new man... I'm rather pedantic with things, so I like to open things personally. :laughing:

FlashInThePan

Enlightened
Of course, if the light's just been released by the manufacturer, sometimes "new" is the only option; they haven't hit the secondary market yet. :)

But overall, I tend to agree with you: buying used lights generally makes more sense - at least to me - for all of the reasons you stated.

- FITP

strinq

Enlightened
If there was a chance, I'd be used for me. I've been in the buying/selling/trading market for ages and the savings that i've made through all that is very significant.

And if you're careful about who you buy from etc, the 'risks' are minimal and even when anything 'bad' happens it is way below the benefits you make from buying used.

Unless I'm almost absolutely sure the item i'm buying is for keeps and might have some sentimental value to it in the future or buying it for someone else then it's NEW.

Hacken

Enlightened
depends on the deal, conditions of it and how much it would really save me from buying it new.

SureAddicted

Enlightened
-No chance of the item being miss-used or abused when buying new. Abuse and neglect can occur on many levels, many of which are not readily visible.

-"Like New", "9.5 condition", "Never abused" can mean completely different things to different people.

-Many manufacturer warranties (either lifetime or limited) are non transferable.

-When/if you decide to sell, you can claim to be the original owner and you can guarantee the item has not been abused or used improperly.

-Theres always the risk of cigarette smell, and body odors when buying anything used (a condition I have encountered surprisingly often when buying used stuff on ebay). Anyone into guitar collecting and restoration will know what I mean, but I have encountered this with flashlights as well. Surefire Nitrolon is particularly susceptible to odor absorption:green:.

-Fresh, new O-rings. Most people do not lube their O-rings enough.

+1, good points.
I've always bought new, and I keep that philosophy when buying an LED light. If i was buying an incan and could not find the model I was after, then I would consider buying used, but only with incans, not LED's.
Most people are on a budget so it dictates whether they have the funds to buy new or used.

Locoboy5150

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've only bought used goods when they are no longer in production. Even then, I almost always wait until a "new in box" model is up for sale somewhere.

My problem is that I'm *extremely* fussy when it comes to the definition of "mint condition." That applies to not only lights in my life, but all of my hobbies as well. Other people have a much more loose definition of the term and hence, I have never ever received a used (not "new in box") item that was in the mint condition that I was expecting it to be in based on the description from the seller. Used things described as "mint condition" have 100% always required restoration work by me after I received them.

I've learned and I just stick to new lights (and other stuff in general) only.

MCFLYFYTER

Banned
I always wonder why half of the lights and modules for sale have "5 minutes max on the emitter". I always think, about used cars, and that all of them have "new brakes". I would buy used every time if I could talk to the seller, and handle the light.

Moonshadow

Enlightened
Absolutely right about being able to talk to the seller. The thing you've got to be careful with buying used is you have to know the reason why the seller is getting rid of it. I've done some good deals on used optical equipment in the past (telescopes etc.) but _only_ after thoroughly researching things with the seller.

If a light's being sold because someone is upgrading, or because they bought it and didn't get on with the UI or something, then fair enough. But I'd be concerned about getting one that has minor flaws or problems, or perhaps that some unscrupulous person might buy two and keep the one with the better tint ?

strinq

Enlightened
My problem is that I'm *extremely* fussy when it comes to the definition of "mint condition." That applies to not only lights in my life, but all of my hobbies as well. Other people have a much more loose definition of the term and hence, I have never ever received a used (not "new in box") item that was in the mint condition that I was expecting it to be in based on the description from the seller. Used things described as "mint condition" have 100% always required restoration work by me after I received them.

Wow...you must be really unlucky...
Most of the 'mint' items I bought are well...mint. Scratchless, stainless etc.

To date I think i must have saved about 40-50% off new prices just by buying 2nd hand goods (mostly musical items though). That adds up to at least USD5000 or more. And that's after deducting the extremely few bad deals.

angelofwar

Flashlight Enthusiast
All I'll say s buying a used SF is just like buying a new one...at least with there twisties...not really that much to wear out or break....I just bought a "like new" Kroma on the MP for $185...it even came in the package (already opened of course)...but I managed to save $160 and have a "like new" kroma for half the price...so, yeah, if I can find a nice one used, then definitely used is for me. I'll only buy new if I can't find it used.

kelmo

Flashlight Enthusiast
All I'll say s buying a used SF is just like buying a new one...at least with there twisties...not really that much to wear out or break....I just bought a "like new" Kroma on the MP for $185...it even came in the package (already opened of course)...but I managed to save $160 and have a "like new" kroma for half the price...so, yeah, if I can find a nice one used, then definitely used is for me. I'll only buy new if I can't find it used.

I bought a M3 w/2 LAs and a SC2 for $125! It had been dropped once. Very minor damage. My buddy was goofing around with it doing the "Mall Ninja Dance" with the CB and dropped it. He was really bummed but I told him to relax, I got it for 33% of retail value and the original owner had already dropped it.

Yes some sellers are more liberal with there definitions of gently used than others. Perhaps we should adopt the phrase "gently abused?!"

Character marks are cool and because of them one tends to use the lights as intended! So used is my choice. Although there are exceptions to the rule...

Last edited:

Echo63

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have bought a few things on the marketplace.
an A2 and a L2 that were listed as Used but in good condition
the A2 looked mint, the L2 had a few little scrapes.
this is great, because i chucked them in my pocket and started using them.

the Titan i bought recently is in perfect condition too, and was cheaper than buying brand new.

buying lights here in australia is expensive, i managed to get an A2, L2 and an M3 second hand but in very good condition, from the marketplace, for the cost of an A2 in a local store here in perth.

lrp

Flashlight Enthusiast
Makes sense to me, I've sold several nice lights for a bargain price!

jimmy1970

Flashlight Enthusiast
I generally buy my lights used if the new price involves expensive shipping. I also find it nice when buying a used light to be able to discuss tint & emitter centering with the seller prior to making the purchase.

The MarketPlace here at CPF is a great way to shop for used lights as the vast majority of members are fantastic people in their own right and are a pleasure to do business with.

James....:thumbsup:

jimbo@stn23

Newly Enlightened
Have a good dealer close by that ships right away and treats me fairly well so I support them and 95% of my lights come from there new. It's just easy to do business with them and they sell enough other products that I use alot. Could do better else where in regards to pricing perhaps but see no reason to change.

BigHonu

Flashlight Enthusiast
No problem with me as long as the seller is upfront and honest with the condition the light is in, and how the light was used.