The US Government finally did something smart

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
They have been trying to roll out one after another dollar denomination coins, all failing. They want people to use them because they last so much longer than paper.

Well they are now sending you actual value coins that you buy with no shipping charge to try and get the presidential dollar coins out in people's hands.

Order $250 worth of coins, and you get $250 worth of dollar coins at no extra charge.

This is the best way for this to catch on that they have thought of so far.

jzmtl

Flashlight Enthusiast
There's definitely advantage of having $1 coins, your change jar will actually worth something!

Now wait for the $2 coin...

jtr1962

Flashaholic
Great idea, although it honestly annoys me way more that pennies ( and nickels for that matter ) are still being made.

Niconical

Enlightened
A complete lack of foresight. Have they even considered the effect this will have on the American stripclub industry? :kiss:

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Here's an even better idea . . . Put actual precious metals back into the coins so the coins themselves have value. Let's roll the clock back to 1964.

McGizmo

Flashaholic
So I buy $10,000 in coins for $10,000 on my credit card and when I get the coins, I go to the bank with them and pay my $10,000 CC bill. No fees or interest paid. The bank now may not be real happy with me but I just got 10,000 air miles or bonus points. :green: :thinking:

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
...The bank now may not be real happy with me but I just got 10,000 air miles or bonus points. :green: :thinking:
Sorry Don, they already thought of that (additional details):

The immediate bank deposit of $1 Coins ordered through this Program does not result in their introduction into circulation and, therefore, does not comply with the intended purpose of the Program.

Additonally, I believe the email/link they sent me said there was a limit on the amount of coins a person could purchase ($5000?). You click their link agreeing to the "program rules". Now if you don't comply with those rules...I wonder what happens then?

Hooked on Fenix

Flashlight Enthusiast
Who's picture is going to be on these coins? Let me guess. President Obama on the front, and a picture of a money printing press having a paper jam on the back.

Sounds like they can't print the money fast enough, so they decided to make coins in addition so they can devalue the currency faster.

By the way, we have had coined dollars before such as the silver dollar and the Susan B. Anthony dollar coins. I hope these new ones aren't the same size and weight as quarters. Susan B. Anthony dollars are easy to mistake for quarters and using them in a vending machine is a waste of 75 cents.

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
Hooked, look at my link. Various $1 "gold" color coins are offered, none of the clad SBAs. I believe they are still the same size though.

I get them all the time, use & distribute them daily. Hardly EVER get any in return though. Who's hoarding them all? I use $2 bills too...I call it all "funny money" when I go to the tellers to get them. Sometimes I'm lucky enough to pick up a few Eisenhower dollars...you get a pretty good reaction when you spend them!

Who's picture is going to be on these coins? Let me guess. President Obama on the front, and a picture of a money printing press having a paper jam on the back.

Sounds like they can't print the money fast enough, so they decided to make coins in addition so they can devalue the currency faster.

By the way, we have had coined dollars before such as the silver dollar and the Susan B. Anthony dollar coins. I hope these new ones aren't the same size and weight as quarters. Susan B. Anthony dollars are easy to mistake for quarters and using them in a vending machine is a waste of 75 cents.

It's actually against the law to put anyone who is alive on US currency, they have to be dead.

PeaceOfMind

Enlightened
I live in Canada, where we haven't had a paper $1 denomination for a long time. I kind of wish we did have it - it's so much easier to spend a bunch of bills versus coins. Ex. If I got a $1 bill in change, I'd put it in my wallet, and spend it when needed. But a bunch of $1 coins are a pain to carry (they are heavy and jiggle around and scratch other stuff in your pockets). If I've got some high value coins (we have $1 and $2 coins here), I often end up blowing them in a vending machine or something.

...so, that's my rant. I prefer paper money because it's easier to carry and count. But I do understand the advantage of the coins of course.

Kestrel

Flashaholic
Great idea, although it honestly annoys me way more that pennies ( and nickels for that matter ) are still being made.
My god yes. The half-cent coin was phased out in 1857. If pennies worked for commerce then, what is that equivalent to now, 50 cents? I haven't carried pennies or nickels as change for years.
Who's picture is going to be on these coins? [...] a picture of a money printing press having a paper jam on the back.
LOL :crackup:

The easiest way to make sure the dollar coin succeeds - it's so simple - stop printing 'ones'. Sure, some people will get all bent when their last ones are wearing out in circulation, but they'll get over it eventually. :shakehead

Last edited:

45/70

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well they are now sending you actual value coins that you buy with no shipping charge to try and get the presidential dollar coins out in people's hands.

I'm sure glad the Government is picking up the tab on shipping these coins, and not the taxpayer! That's going to cost a small fortune! :aaa:

Dave

Launch Mini

Flashlight Enthusiast
We've had dollar & 2 dollar coins here for a while. At first I didn't like them, but they grow on you.
I do visit the US often, and have come to dislike the bills for only one reason. I seem to accumulate too many ( not lots, but more than say $10 worth in my wallet).
With the coins, at least I, try & use them up first, rather than dipping for more bills. I hate coins in my pocket, so I use them on the next purchase.
AND, if you happen to have a coin jar at home, where you dump you pocket change at the end of the day, you sure do accumulate $$$$ in a hurray.
Plus, in vending machines, you don't have to find that CRISP bill to insert.:sick2:

Latest posts