EDC with variable speed strobe?

Saint Al

Newly Enlightened
Hey, everybody. I recently posted a noob thread asking which light to buy next...and I went over budget and got couple of lights instead.lovecpf
Anyways, one of the lights I got was the Quark mini 123 and while I was playing with it over a beer after work tonight I got to thinking...

I use a strobe light regularly on a daily basis at work. It would be substantially awesomer if I could carry a light in my pocket instead of lugging the 12 lb beast hooked up to a hideous, knotted extension cord. The catch is that the strobe speed would need to be virtually infinitely variable...

So, does this exist? Is it even possible in a sub-4" flashlight? If it doesn't exist but it's possible are there any custom guys that can make something like that? (Or if somebody wants to invent it they could nail a HUGE market in the printing industry...)

Thanks!

MerkurMan

Newly Enlightened
The Akoray K-106 has this feature in its programming menu. The caveat is that you can only program three different modes, giving you three different strobe frequencies that can be used at a time. Just curious what type of job requires a variable strobe?

pmoore

Newly Enlightened
+1 on the K-106. If you just neet two different speeds, you could set the third to a regular working beam.

Paul

LED Cool

Enlightened
LiteFlux LF2XT(AAA) & LF3XT(CR123) EDC lights let the user program up to 5 different strobe frequencies in each of the 5 output modes.

plus, on top of the 5 output modes, there is a quick access (press and hold) to max constant output AND another quick access (click + press and hold) to random strobe (with random frequencies)

should be able to meet your requirement.
khoo

Saint Al

Newly Enlightened
The Akoray K-106 has this feature in its programming menu. The caveat is that you can only program three different modes, giving you three different strobe frequencies that can be used at a time. Just curious what type of job requires a variable strobe?

I run a printing press, the strobe is used to visually "stop" the printed product while the press is running for on the go inspection. The speed of the strobe needs to coincide with the speed that the press is running for any given job.

Thanks for the input everyone!

berry580

Flashlight Enthusiast
he did say sub-4inch.

if its Jetbeam w/ IBS, then it'll have to be Jet-I or Jet-II.

But in terms of efficiency, Jet-I PRO V3 should be the best and is still actually sold. lol

travelinman

Enlightened
I run a printing press, the strobe is used to visually "stop" the printed product while the press is running for on the go inspection. The speed of the strobe needs to coincide with the speed that the press is running for any given job.

Not THATS a use for a strobe that I never thought of!!! You could use it to stop or better yet slow down machinery parts visually while in motion.
That would allow you to see how one part is working in conjunction with others in a machine.

carrot

Flashaholic
The Eternalight, if you can get your hands on one, is EXACTLY what you are looking for. It has a strobe mode that is adjustable (as well as a plethora of other modes).

souptree

Flashlight Enthusiast
What a fascinating flashlight requirement. I don't have any suggestions, but good luck in your quest!!

linterno

Enlightened
Maglite XL100. Variable strobe speed by rotating the flashlight to the left or to the right. Will be available in a month or so.

Look at this video and look at Maglite XL100 thread.

Saint Al

Newly Enlightened
Wow! Great suggestions everyone! I'm not sure if I should thank you or be mad...my wallets gonna take a hit when I try out a few of these!;)

Rexlion

Enlightened
The Eternalight, if you can get your hands on one, is EXACTLY what you are looking for. It has a strobe mode that is adjustable (as well as a plethora of other modes).
I never saw that one before. It sure does look like it would do the job for the OP. I googled it and found a website selling it for $24.95. Very interesting light!