Palm Powered

jhc37013

Flashlight Enthusiast
Surefire E2DL- Just a bit over 5inch(5.4) but really a perfect light perfectly made.

Fenix PD30- inch for inch always at very top of my list very good multiple mode EDC light.

Surefire E1B- like its name it makes a wonderful backup in a coat pocket or pants pocket. A good little thrower for its size I tend to find myself reaching for it even though a carry another light in a holster on my belt. I cannot over compliment this light enough so I will leave it at that.

MG Mini II R2- A very small 18650 light nicely built and very bright with an option to install turbo head for great throw. I can not think of a smaller 18650 light. Very good price

SuperTrouper

Enlightened
My favourite is the Fenix P3D, mainly for the fantastic runtime in a nice brightness on Medium, and the compact size.

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
Please enlighten me...I'm :confused:.
now,
what You mean is a certain "class" of lights, more or less of the following battery choices:
2*AA (slightly too long),
2*CR123,
1*18650 Li-Ion battery,

out of these the 1*18650 is imho the "best", because it has the most power in cell while the size of the light stays the same.
Also it is the ceapest, so for using the light, the best option.
Only con: there are no disposable batteries available, thats rechargeable only.

1*26500 / 1*26650 Li-Ion, slightly more diameter than 1*18650 with the same merits.
But far away from standard (say: difficult to obtain, no ready-made-solution, homebuilt only, expensive)

AlphaZen

Enlightened
now,
what You mean is a certain "class" of lights, more or less of the following battery choices:
2*AA (slightly too long),
2*CR123,
1*18650 Li-Ion battery,

out of these the 1*18650 is imho the "best", because it has the most power in cell while the size of the light stays the same.
Also it is the ceapest, so for using the light, the best option.
Only con: there are no disposable batteries available, thats rechargeable only.

I'm not looking for the "best" flashlight or format. I am just curious what everyone's personal favorite palm-sized flashlight is. Hopefully, hearing others' favorites will give us all something to think about spending our money on. :twothumbs I'm sure there is a new "favorite flashlight" thread started often, but I'm narrowing this one down to around 4-5 inches because it seems ideal to me.

Illum

Flashaholic
Please enlighten me...I'm :confused:.

citing battery dimensions does not necessarily credit a decent response, but hey..."wouldn't it be great if" are always enticing responses that motivate others to share their inputs.

18650s, 26500s, 26650s signify ANSI dimensions of certain batteries.

18650s mean they are 18mm wide, 65mm long, and 0 for cylindrical. It makes no mention of the battery's chemistry or the type of lights that could potentially use them. 1* just means single cell options :)

In terms of form factors, it does succeed in supporting the thread op's questions, but I personally would prefer yellow to clarify his selections. Its been awhile since I touched the forum and I do not recall if 1x26500 lights existed, it would be great to see one:ohgeez:

Gatsby

Enlightened
OK I'll bite - first things first is that, by and large, I have been mostly a collector, user, buyer and seller of EDC lights which, for me at least, means a pocketable light. Consequently, I tend to favor the less than 4" lights so a light has to bring something to the table for me to deal with a larger light - those things conventionally being either more power or longer runtime (not sure there is any good reason for a larger light although some like the feel of a 2 cell light).

Predominantly for me that has meant a 2xCR123, 17670/18650 light. I have a few Minimags floating around with various upgrades but they are backup duty only really.

I can narrow it down to the 6P (and relative clones) form factor and the E series form factor (E2 derivatives). They bring different things to the party - the 6P (P60 drop in) lights are really versatile. Numerous drop in options, numerous battery configuration options, numerous add ons and extensions and upgrade paths/options. Plus you can in a still small package drop in a really hot emitter due to the relative mass of the light and build a flamethrower. However, they are a bit chunky overall.

The e - series lights are a different beast - lots of lego possibilities (including dropping down to a 1 cell format that is truly pocketable, I don't consider the 6P bezel on any one cell body to be much of a pocket light) with the E1 bodies. However, upgrades generally mean an entire head or a mod job, neither as inexpensive as a P60 compatible drop in. And you are more or less limited to a 17670 as your largest rechargeable (in a SF body at least, aftermarket 18650 bodies are like hens teeth and even SF bodies aren't exactly a dime a dozen, but there is the aleph option). But... and this is a big but... the form factor. The E2 bodies are really compact, but still comfortable in my hands, and the e heads are a thing of beauty. The combination is a slim, still easy to pocket, nearly perfect light. I think that the e-series is more fun too and more practical with lots of single cell possibilities.

My vote is for the Surefire E-series and compatible 2 cell lights - my personal favorite at the moment is a Z57 with an E2E body, a KX2 Milky Creemator head and an AW17670. Lots of oomph when you want it, plenty of runtime at low levels and realistic runtime at higher levels compared to the relatively short runtime on a single RCR123.

flatline

Flashlight Enthusiast
Of my meager collection, my favorite EDC light is the MG L-mini II.

Pros:
* 18650 battery yet flashlight is comparably sized to a AA-powered light (comfortable in pocket or on belt)
* 3 modes ordered Low-Medium-High
* built-in over-discharge protection so I can use free cells from old laptops
* Q3-5C emitter is much nicer (to me) than the more common cool whites
* knurling is present, but not aggressive. Very comfortable to hold
* Low is still bright enough to be generically useful yet yields crazy run-time
* no crenelated bezel

Cons:
* has memory. would prefer that it always starts on Low.
* can't walk into a store and buy batteries for it
* no Low-low or Moon-mode so it can't perform night-stand duty

If you're looking for a good general purpose light and don't have strong opinions already, the MG L-mini II is a great way to get into the world of 18650-powered lights. It's not the best at anything (except for the over-discharge protection), but it's an excellent compromise for most purposes.

--flatline

joshconsulting

Enlightened
Big fan of the L2p. A beautiful 18650 host that's durable, feels great in your hand, and has a good-looking and scratch resistant HAIII coating. All that for under $35 :)

Strauss

Flashlight Enthusiast
By far my favorite sized light and most used is my Ra Clicky. Although I think it's a little under 4" though.

In your size requirement, my favorite light would be my Surefire LX2. It's hands down my favorite 2-cell light, for many of the reasons Gatsby stated in his post about Surefire's E-series lights. Very pocketable, good general-use low mode, and a blazing high that gets it's beam out there quite far for a light it's size. Combine those features with a slim body and good pocket clip, and you got a winner in my book.