Is the Ra Clicky Executive going to fit my needs?

madflytom

Newly Enlightened
All,

First, I know this may be a repeat thread, but I searched and searched and haven't quite found the answers to some specific questions I need advice on.

Here's the deal: I currently have several lights, from mag-lites to my now favored Inova x5 for EDC. I like the flood of the X5, but I want something with more flexibility (i.e. power levels).

I'm really leaning heavily toward the Ra Clicky Executive, and would like to stay at or below this price point.

My use for this light will probably help solidify this decision, but I'm looking for some Ra Clicky users to help weigh in on this.

I will use the light for:
  • navigation around my house when everyone is asleep - to not disturb them with turning on hallway lights, room lights, etc.
  • camping/caving/general outdoor activities at night
  • EDC - I want a light that will do it all and will stay teathered to me at all times.
  • reading at night (this one is a test for the low settings on the light - can you comfortably use this light to read something in total darkness without screwing up night vision?
At the price for the Ra Clicky, it is going to be an investment - probably not purchasing for a few months. Any Ra Clicky users: does the executive look like the best choice given my uses?

Many thanks to you all for your advice!

Last edited:

Launch Mini

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't have one (yet), but I have been seriously looking at this exact one, and basically for the same reasons you have.
Hope others can chime in & confirm my same thoughts.
IMI, without seeing the light, I would have to say YES, it fits our needs.

MikeG1P315

Newly Enlightened
I've owned a Ra Executive EDC and used it for essentially what you describe. It was perfect and very versatile.

The ONLY reason I sold it was because of the length. I was used to the older HDS EDC lights and prefer their size, about a 1/2 shorter. I replaced my clicky with a Novatac which is very similar, though the advertised runtimes are not quite as long.

I would definitely say the Ra is THE light you're looking for. If Henry could shave a half inch off the Clicky, it'd be my EDC for sure.

joema

Flashlight Enthusiast
...Any Ra Clicky users: does the executive look like the best choice given my uses?...
Based on your usage, it would be a good fit. I have one, had an HDS U60 before that, and have many other lights. The Ra Clicky is among the very best lights made.

Your description indicates significant thought, namely real-world usage often involves lower power levels, and close-to-mid range distance. The Ra is perfect for that.

The beam pattern is aesthetically beautiful, and general-purpose in design. At lowest output it preserves night vision, at least for me. The user interface is well designed, logical and not hard to use. It efficiently uses either rechargeable or primary cells, which gives good flexibility.

You have a choice between the regular beam width vs the slightly narrower "Cn" models. I have the regular one, which IMO is OK for general use, but I can see some people wanting a little more throw-oriented beam.

The negative is it's slightly large for a modern single-cell light. But that was an intentional design decision based on ruggedness and heat dissipation.

However my ideal "perfect" light would be a Ra Clicky shrunk to the size of a Surefire T1A, or smaller if possible. The Nitecore EX10 is close to that, but the beam pattern is a little too narrow IMO: http://www.nitecore.com/products/ex10/

Yucca Patrol

Enlightened
The Ra lights are a little bit chunky, but are still very easy to EDC. You said that you want it "tethered". I find that the included clip is awkward, but I tied a lanyard loop onto mine using a constrictor knot (wikipedia has a good how-to) and then attach it to my belt loop with a lark's head knot.

When I bought mine, I simply couldn't figure out any reason why the more expensive clicky's were more expensive other than lumen output. The EDC is definitely a great value for the $$$.

Lumenz

Enlightened
The Ra Clicky is great and I carry mine everywhere with me. I think it will meet your needs easily, but as it has already been mentioned, it is a bit bulky for EDC. It sounds like a Zebralight might be a good choice for you since nothing you mentioned really requires much throw.

gbelleh

Newly Enlightened
It seems like a good choice for your described uses. I use my EDC 120 as a nightstand light because the low is extremely low. The lowest of any light I own, even lower than the Quark moonlight and Liteflux LF2XT lows.

The beam is very nice and smooth, great for EDC, IMO. The UI is very nice and flexible.

The only reason I don't carry mine is that the stock clip is a huge, shiny monstrosity that kept scraping, hooking and catching on everything. I just received a P-7 suspension clip in the mail today, so I plan to do some experimentation with it. I'd really like to carry this light if I can find a way that works for me.

fisk-king

Flashlight Enthusiast
I will use the light for:
  • navigation around my house when everyone is asleep - to not disturb them with turning on hallway lights, room lights, etc.
Not a problem in this dept. My 200cn is set to the 3rd level (~.14) and is pretty adequate if I say so myself:grin2:

I work outside alot of times at one of the Dams located nearby and it has enough throw for my needs and situations.

• EDC - I want a light that will do it all and will stay teathered to me at all times.

Like someone stated earlier, I hate the clip. It stays on the belt pretty securely and yet still..I hate it:D. It is a little bulky compared to other 123 lights but I'm not really bothered by it like some ( I'm a big guy myself). If I can ever get a 3rd party clip sometime in the future:popcorn: instead of an A it will be a '+' beside it.:)

• reading at night (this one is a test for the low settings on the light - can you comfortably use this light to read something in total darkness without screwing up night vision?
level 3 is enough for me.

you will not be dissatisfied.

Tx Bass Tech

Newly Enlightened
I have a Ra Clicky and I love it. I hardly ever use it on high power because that is more light than I need most of the time. I find the medium setting is great for most of the time, but when you need some light it has got plenty! I tour with a band and I use the low level when I'm in the sleeping area of the bus when I read or need to find something without disturbing other people who are sleeping. The strobe has also come in handy for getting someone attention who is far away or slowing down drunks who are getting ready to do something stupid. The only problem I have with the light is the clip that comes with it. I need to get another clip for it.

I say get one!

applevision

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Ra Clicky is great and I carry mine everywhere with me. I think it will meet your needs easily, but as it has already been mentioned, it is a bit bulky for EDC. It sounds like a Zebralight might be a good choice for you since nothing you mentioned really requires much throw.
Going to have to agree here, without wanting to get too off-topic. I think that the Ra Clicky will do everything you wish, but your wish list is not so rigorous... Please seriously consider a Zebralight H501W--it is a phenomenal EDC in a nice small package that also will do seemingly everything you need!

Theatre Booth Guy

Enlightened
I have a Ra Clicky and have used it as my edc light since it arrived. It also serves as the night stand light set to the lowest level - works very well! The Ra adjustable and very low possible output is one of the biggest reasons I'm a happy return Ra customer.
As to using my Ra for reading, I found the output to be too tight a focus (with the narrow beam). Instead of using the Ra for reading, the lowest output Peak floody Eiger fills that role well (as do the Zebralights).
Since you are interested in the Ra Clicky, chances are that you will happier with the light than you think - they are great flashlights.