emergency light for my mother?

vivid

Newly Enlightened
Hi all,

I'm currently down visiting my mother and she wanted me to take a look at her battery collection (not pretty) and antiquated flash lights.

Many of her lights are poor double D incan lights. She does have two incan Maglite 3d and 4d which I could get the led drop-ins for.

If I were looking for a few others for her what would you recommend?

here is what I'd like:

Price: under $20 as these will be only used for emergencies.
AA or AAA (any number of these)
easy to use, just one or two modes. (it is for my technophobe mother)
long life > brightness (2hrs min)

thanks

Last edited:

Yucca Patrol

Enlightened
Re: emergancy light for my mother?

Go down to your local hardware/discount/department store and buy her one of the newer LED AA Mini-Mags. It will suit her needs perfectly and simply and costs around $20.

sol-leks

Flashlight Enthusiast

Maybe the new Inova X1?

gottawearshades

Enlightened

I went through this with my mother-in-law a couple years ago.

Finally, despite my own tastes, we ended up giver her a 2-C Mag.

I was familiar, seemed like the very best brand name to her, and, you could do worse. Also, it's nice and big so it's easy to find and easy to grab and hold.

Nubo

Enlightened

Depends, I guess, on what kind of activities you're trying to support during an "emergency".

For my wife's folks we realized that their habit of using candles during power outages wasn't a good idea anymore. But for the purpose of room-lighting, a dedicated lantern was a better solution for them than a flashlight. A 3-C LED lantern seemed like a good solution -- plenty of runtime, size is compact enough, and not too small to be fussy for them to deal with.

stevep

Newly Enlightened
I would get a light that could uses AA lithium batteries.I recently checked my mom's emergency mag light that I got her 1 year ago,the alkaline batteries leaked destroying the light. She would turn it on once and a while to test it,it still worked and that is as far as she checked. Get her some lithium batteries as well and she will be set.

DM51

Flashaholic
For a non-flashoholic technophobe, something really simple to operate, such as an Icon, would be a very good choice.

Mylt1

Newly Enlightened
what about one of the emergency lights that plugs in and turns itself on if/when the power goes out. the newer models are LED and i believe are less than $20 at target. no clue on run time though.

Rexlion

Enlightened
Romisen RC-P3. I gave my 90+ year old mother one. Side switch just like she's used to. Runs on 2 common AA. Mid-teens price at DX.

tylernt

Enlightened
You could put drop-in PR2 LED modules in those inans for about a few bucks each. Something like the PR2-W1-WVR should last ridiculously long on two D cells.

LG&M

Enlightened
I got my mom a Fenix E20 / W energizer lithiums in it. She loves it.