Zebralight is going to come out with flashlights! part 2

dealgrabber2002

Flashlight Enthusiast
Zebralight informed me that they are coming out with flashlights.

The models are:
SC30
SC30f
SC50
SC50f

Edit: UPDATES

SC30: R2 and R5
SC30f: R2
SC50: R2 and R5
SC50f: R2
H31: R2 and R5
H51: R2 and R5

- All come with side click switches (Panasonic, 300000 cycles).
- UI for the SC30/SC30f:
(similar to the H60) default setting Turbo, Med1, and Low1.
Double click to High, Med2, and Low2.
auto fall back to High from Turbo after certain time
UI for the SC50/SC50f is similar but has not been finalized yet
- runtimes at Low2 is over 2 weeks (final spec will be based on the first production batch)
- type III class I (non-dyed or natual) surface
- 'uni-body' design: the entire body of the light is machined from one piece of aluminum and
acting as a big heatsink for the LED.
You probably know that up till now, a typical flashlight has 3 sections (besides the tailcap)
plus one for the circuit, and the heat from the LED stays mostly in the small middle section,
with its dissipation paths blocked by layters of anodizing surfaces.
- SCHOTT optical glass, AR coated
- (bezel down) clip
- SC30 67mm, SC30f 66mm, SC50 80mm, SC50f 79mm
- SC30 and SC30f fit inside of silicone holders for the H30. You can mix and match SC30,
SC30f or H30 on one headband. A silicone holder will be in the package.

Along with the headlamp H51 and H31 (I think it's like H501/H30 but with reflector).

They said it will come out in ~2 months.

I am so excited! Might be my first buy of 2010!

Last edited:

davidt1

Flashlight Enthusiast
At $65, the new light is $6 more than their current lights. For that money, I want XP-G emitters and H501R UI.

qtaco

Newly Enlightened
But you're also getting a reflector, lens, superior body design (with better heat sinking), plus an integrated clip. That doesn't seem unreasonable to me.

Last edited:

veleno

Enlightened
59$ on the Zebralight website. I think it's a good price!!

SC30 just ordered. :paypal:

Last edited:

uplite

Enlightened
Copying the sexy SC30 pictures from part 1:

SC30_standing_up.jpg

4246668238_0d80bf7c84_m.jpg
4245894397_f79623d4af_m.jpg

-Jeff

Dan FO

Enlightened
It has my most hated feature ............ parasitic drain.:thumbsdow

uplite

Enlightened
It has my most hated feature ............ parasitic drain.:thumbsdow
Dan , how can you know that before you get one, to test ?
Because it is obviously a soft-touch, smart switch, just like the other Zebralights.

That's fine with me. The benefits of a soft-touch switch (easy single finger tap) and smart control (Lo-Med-High or High-Med-Low or double-click for other settings) faaaar outweigh the downside of parasitic drain.

Anyway, I always turn off my Zebralight by locking out the tailcap, so it can't turn on in my pocket or bag. That kills the parasitic drain too. Problem solved. :thumbsup:

-Jeff

uplite

Enlightened
Here's hoping that the neutral version will be an R2 xp-e if not a neutral xp-g. Hey I can hope can't I.:laughing:
That would be great!

But checking the CREE website...the XPE neutral maxes out at Q4...and XPG neutral is not yet available. :(

I would still buy a Q3 or Q4 neutral. These LEDs put out more than enough light for most of my uses. The problem is that most flashlights have crappy optics that fail to deliver the light. If Zebralight is as smart about their new optics as they were with the old ones, Q3/Q4 neutral will be fine. :thumbsup:

-Jeff

YourTime

Newly Enlightened
This time I wont buy the R123 battery version as I have so many problems with this battery

I will buy it if it's 18650 or AA

olrac

Flashlight Enthusiast
That would be great!

But checking the CREE website...the XPE neutral maxes out at Q4...and XPG neutral is not yet available. :(

I would still buy a Q3 or Q4 neutral. These LEDs put out more than enough light for most of my uses. The problem is that most flashlights have crappy optics that fail to deliver the light. If Zebralight is as smart about their new optics as they were with the old ones, Q3/Q4 neutral will be fine. :thumbsup:

-Jeff

XP-E R2's will be available in March at Cutters XP-G's are in the works

dracodoc

Newly Enlightened
I have a question:
Do we need to remove the clip to put it on the headband?

I guess it has to be removed. I used to use a simplified method mentioned in cpf to clip my H501 to a rubber band directly. It may not be as secure as the provided holder, but can be in seconds, otherwise I need to remove the clip of H501 before using it as headlamp.

Woods Walker

The Wood is cut, The Bacon is cooked, Now it’s tim
Because it is obviously a soft-touch, smart switch, just like the other Zebralights.

That's fine with me. The benefits of a soft-touch switch (easy single finger tap) and smart control (Lo-Med-High or High-Med-Low or double-click for other settings) faaaar outweigh the downside of parasitic drain.

Anyway, I always turn off my Zebralight by locking out the tailcap, so it can't turn on in my pocket or bag. That kills the parasitic drain too. Problem solved. :thumbsup:

-Jeff

Someplace I read that the drain would take a very long time to run down the battery in a H501. Anyone know that link to lights with parasitic drains here on CPF.

dracodoc

Newly Enlightened
For SC30, from zebralight website

• Battery: One CR123A lithium primary or RCR123 Li-ion rechargeable. Batteries are not included in the package.
  • Battery Shelf Life: Over 3 years under parasitic drain