Sci-Fi channel's: Battlestar Galactica

• Thread starter Cosmic Superchunk
  • Start date
C

Cosmic Superchunk

Sci-Fi channel\'s: Battlestar Galactica

On a previous thread it was mentioned that the Sci-Fi channel has done a remake of Battlestar Galactica which is due out in December 2003. Here are a few pics from Sci-Fi.com:

Viper
bgpic_01.jpg

Edward James Olmos as "Commander William Adama"
bgpic_02.jpg

Katee Sackhoff as "Starbuck"
bgpic_05.jpg

More stuff can be seen here.

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Sci-Fi channel\'s: Battlestar Galactica

I have a question...why are there always blue lights shining on the eye/faces in the helmets...doesn`t this make it hard to see out?

C

Cosmic Superchunk

Since the characters are flying out in space and going about in dark places, it's most likely done so you can see their faces. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast

All I can say is that if they don't continue the tradition of re-using the same fly by sequences over and over I will be very dissappointed.

It's awefully hard to tell anything from the trailers posted up on their site. All I know about it is that there is a blond lady with significant attributes. That doesn't clue me into the story line much... Unless that IS the story line!

You can never tell with the Sci-Fi channel. They do some really brilliant things, and they do some really poor things too. Seems that they can't tell ahead of time how good the people they are hiring are going to be. I hope it's good though, it would be a shame to waste the energy otherwise. I'll be watching!

Charles Bradshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast

The lighting color is for dramatic effect. I do have a slight problem with their use of Jet Engines for Space Fighters: DUH!

F/X people sometimes just don't think. Even in the original series, there was really no space in the Viper for the Drive System, particularly a standard rocket engine!!

I would make a presumption: A civilization this advanced does not use stone age (current Earth Technology) propulsion systems.

The actor that played the original Starbuck, also played a character in the A Team. They were essentially the same character: Cigar smoking Warrior/Con Artist. Maybe the new one will be better.

It will be hard for Mr. Olmos to equal Lorne Greene as Adama, as Lorne brought a vast dignity and near Spiritual presence to the character.

I look forward to the miniseries/series pilot, having read through the material.

MicroE

Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
Charles Bradshaw said:
...I do have a slight problem with their use of Jet Engines for Space Fighters: DUH!...

[/ QUOTE ]

I think that they look are vehicles like the SR-71 and hear that it flies (or used to, at least) "at the edge of space". Then they simply forget "the edge of" part and voila! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Or maybe the engines are so advanced that they function by sucking in the gas molecules of the solar wind and using that for propulsion. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

C

Cosmic Superchunk

The female Starbuck is supposed to have the same "maverick" characteristics that Dirk Benedict portrayed in the original series. We'll see if she can pull it off. Heck, they even have a female portraying Boomer.

The classic Galactica series had a spiritual vibe that was quite unique for the time and made the show memorable. Although I highly doubt it, I will really be impressed if this remake is able to capture the essence of the original.

By the way, did you notice how they did away with the Egyptian style flight helmets? I also noticed the character names: Cpt. Lee Adama (Apollo) and Lt. Kara Trace (Starbuck) are another departure from the original. It makes it appear as if names like Apollo & Starbuck are their military call signs.

C

Cosmic Superchunk

By the way, more pics, story and character info can be seen here.

Check out this Cylon hottie called Number Six! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/naughty.gif
098.jpg

image is from GateWorld

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*

I always thought Cylons had these red LED things that went back and forth above their visors. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

A series that I miss (besides Star Trek TOS and Star Trek TNG) is Space: 1999.
I probably haven't seen it since the late 1970s...and I used to have a model of the Eagle 1 spacecraft they used.
Now I want to have cable put in so I can watch Battlestar Galactica. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

C

Cosmic Superchunk

Yes, Space 1999! Ahh, the memories.

Regarding the Cylons, there are supposed to be several types in this remake including the ones with the red LED eye. This "Number Six" character is supposed to be a human-looking android. While the core of the story is the same, there are significant differances between the original and the remake.

For instance, the 12 tribes of humanity all live on Kobol instead of 12 planets named after the signs of the Zodiac like the original. Also, in this remake the Cylons are supposed to have been created by the humans of Kobol, unlike the classic series where the Cylons were originally a reptilian race. There are no Egyptian/Greek mythology references in this remake either nor will you see the trademark Colonial Warrior jackets worn in the original. Another difference noted are the character names. They sound very modern (Cmdr. William Adama, Cpt. Lee Adama, Lt. Kara Trace, President Laura Roslin, Col. Paul Tigh, etc..)

I really look forward to seeing this new Galactica, but for me the original Battlestar Galactica will be THE ONE despite it's outdated look and sometimes cheesy dialogue.

Alan Hsu

Enlightened

The space fighter pictured looks very much like the original, doesn't it?

highlandsun

Enlightened

Man, I would love to see Space: 1999 again, I wonder if anyone is releasing it on DVD?

This new Galactica seems to only have Vipers and BattleStars left in common with the original. Yeesh.

Well, it seems to be a pretty obvious approach though - sex sells.

Pellidon

Flashlight Enthusiast

Yes Space 1999 is on DVD. Best Buys localy has them from time to time. Any place that stocks tons of the classic (or just old) TV series should have it.

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast

Yikes, 8 different collections for $36 a piece! You can watch the whole series again for only $288 plus shipping and tax. (oh wait, i think shipping is free on orders that large /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif)

I remember Space:1999 as being a great show because I first say it when I was like 10 years old. I'm afraid if I watched it again now that I would think it was horribly corney. So I'm just going to stick with my memories of it. You'd think that with 10k channels that it would be being played right now somewhere, but it's not /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Charles Bradshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast

I hope this doesn't turn out to be Lexx by another name {Nausea, gag, choke, vomit}.

In a two part episode in the original BSG, there was this gun on an Ice planet that they had to take out. They took 3 or 4 convicts that were experts in mountaineering. As it happened, these convicts were the ones who slaughtered Cylons on a mining asteroid, in a First Contact situation. This is what started the war.

The Cylons and the humans each had interstellar civilizations.

[General exasperation at Studios]

Since when does Science Fiction, have to be more realistic in terms of stone age Earth Science???!!!

[end exasperation]

I look at much of science fiction as Technological Prophecy, as the Idea for something needs to be out there, before it can be done.

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic

That's me and the original series James.

I'm afraid I would find the Original Battlestar Galactica series quite cheesy these days...

I will be watching for the remake, and will watch it at least once.

lightnix

Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
I remember Space:1999 as being a great show because I first say it when I was like 10 years old. I'm afraid if I watched it again now that I would think it was horribly corney. So I'm just going to stick with my memories of it.

[/ QUOTE ]That's not a bad idea. I used to love that show in the 70s (along with all other Gerry Anderson stuff), but when they showed it again recently in the UK, I was very surprised and disappointed at how bad it was /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

C

Cosmic Superchunk

I too loved to watch Space 1999 as a kid. I remember having the toy ships as well as a walkie-talkie set. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

For the era they were released in, shows like that were great. By today's standards the special effects and dialogue are absolutely horrendous, but they still have a certain charm. I still enjoy watching them.

C

Cosmic Superchunk

[ QUOTE ]
Alan Hsu said:
The space fighter pictured looks very much like the original, doesn't it?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think the Vipers are the only vehicles similar to the ones in the original. The Galactica itself will be different than the original, especially the bridge. The whole look of the uniforms, ships and technology sort of look like Star Trek meets Wing Commander (the movie).