When (or if ever) will blue lasers be reasonably priced?

o0o

Enlightened
... be reasonably priced?

When red first came out, I remember it being in the low 100s for a mediocre pointer. Now it is under $20 and often under $10.

When green came out, I remember them being several hundred dollars for just an average model. Now a decent model is usually under $40

But blue...

Seems to me they have been $1,000 plus for a long time (2 years?), and even now are at least $750+. Is there something inherently hard to manufacture with blue laser pointers that makes them so expensive? I would love a true blue (not the blue purple some are), but I think my price limit would be $100. Will technology ever get it down to this price?

Last edited by a moderator:

Slickseth

Newly Enlightened
Re: When (or if ever) will blue lasers...

As soon as small pen-style blue lasers modules become popular enough to be mass produced. Right now, greenies (which use dpss method similar to blue) are mass produced for a variety of applications due to the human eye's high sensitivity to green light. The human eye is not as sensitive to blue light, so the applications are limited.

The closest thing to blue which is cheap enough to be realistic is the blu-Ray (simple diode style) laser. But these aren't really blue, they are violet, and even less visible than blue.

I wouldn't hold out much hope for true blue dpss laser pointers to come down in price... Until a simple diode method is designed, and unless I'm mistaken, diode style blue lasers haven't been invented yet... But I could be wrong about that.

o0o

Enlightened

Green is the easiest to see without fog, my green beam is visible at night even with clear conditions. My red pointers are dim even with fog.

With this said, to me, blue is the most attractive color to my eyes for lasers. I hope they invent that blue diode that can bring the prices down to reasonable.

Anto

Enlightened

aehaas,

Good to see you on the CPF forums, I follow your posts on BITOG.
Welcome!

Latest posts