Good light to drain "dead" C123As? Fenix PD20?

SuperTrouper

Enlightened
Hello,

Could anyone please tell me how the Fenix PD20 (Q5 version) behaves when the battery in it is low?

I have a P3D that uses 2 cells (obviously) but when that tells me the batteries are low I'd like a little single cell light that'll make use of those almost gone cells one at a time (for safety).

I kinda like how the older Fenix PD20 Q5 looks rather than the newer cylinder shape.

Thanks in advance for any responses

SuperTrouper

Enlightened
I really am looking for something in a white LED, and information about it's behaviour when they battery is almost gone.

I really do like the look of the PD20 Q5 so ideally it'd be nice if anyone who has one of these lights could state what happens when the battery is low.

Egsise

Banned
I really am looking for something in a white LED, and information about it's behaviour when they battery is almost gone.

I really do like the look of the PD20 Q5 so ideally it'd be nice if anyone who has one of these lights could state what happens when the battery is low.
Fenix PD20 electronics is the same as in LD10 and LD20 models.
So the light shuts of when the voltage drops to 0.9V, before that it gives ~10 lumens on low.

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic
Well crap, I'm too late.

I would of pointed you toward a Quark Mini 123. First mode is low so it can suck all the juice out of that 123 cell. If a light's first mode is higher than low then it may not turn on long enough to turn it to the low or it may not fire at all. I'm not sure about the PD20, it may be good.
shrug.gif

SuperTrouper

Enlightened
Well crap, I'm too late.

I would of pointed you toward a Quark Mini 123. First mode is low so it can suck all the juice out of that 123 cell. If a light's first mode is higher than low then it may not turn on long enough to turn it to the low or it may not fire at all. I'm not sure about the PD20, it may be good.
shrug.gif

I was tempted by the quark but i've been a little worried by the comments by users saying the head is loose when unscrewed to a safe off position. I've just ordered a quark mini aa for my wife. Who knows. If there's a satisfactory conclusion to the quark mini 123 loose head issue I may get one, although I personally prefer a clickie rather than a twistie

HeyGuysWatchThis

Newly Enlightened
On my mini 123, I only have to back it off about 1/4 turn to prevent accidental activation. It takes almost 1 1/2 turns more before the o ring disengages. I have yet to fully run down the battery in mine yet, so I don't know about the vampire thing.

mbw_151

Enlightened
The recommendation the Inova X5 is a good one, you just need to use a dummy cell. I use an X5 set up this way to drain cells that won't drive high in my HDS. The X5 will put out about 3 to 5 lumens of flood for a long time. There's no regulator to worry about, just direct drive. When the light get too dim the cells are definitely done.

SuperTrouper

Enlightened
I have only ever heard of 1 going "doof" in a single cell light.

Pretty dang rare thing to worry about IMO.

That's what I understood. I mainly use a Fenix P3D for EDC, but that's a 2 cell light, so I was looking for a single cell light to get the last few drops from the cells.

AFAustin

Flashlight Enthusiast
Peak McKinley 1 LED in brass. Best CR123A battery vampire I've ever had, and you can't beat Peak quality, especially in brass.

Don't know if they're making them anymore, but you can call Peak and ask Robyn or Curt---no telling what they might have on a back shelf somewhere.

Latest posts