Do I NEED a new Fenix PD20 R2?

JWRitchie76

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is the question! I used to own the old PD20 w/ Q5 emitter and I sold it thinking I would upgrade to a 2x 123 style light. Well I really miss that little light. The only negative thing I can say about it is it lacks momentary on but I can get over that. Anyhow I came across a really good deal on a brand new PD20 R2 version and I'm having OCD trying to figure out how bad I want it. I like the fact it now comes with a clip but is the clip very stout? Is there something else in this lights class that I should check out before I pull the trigger? Decisions, decisions............

Henk_Lu

Flashlight Enthusiast
The PD20 is a very nice light, I have the Q5 with an SMO reflector. To my gusto, it doesn't have enough spill, but I guess that could have been adjusted by getting the OP version, which wasn't available the time I got it. I don't know if the R2 version has an OP, SMO or if both versions are available.

So, depending on what beam profile you look for, I can recommend the PD20, but have a look at the Quark123 before you buy it, available with an XP-G R5 or with an XP-E R2 as well (if still available)! It's beam is floodier on both models. :thumbsup:

yalskey

Enlightened
Oh yeah... you should do it for sure. The new version is like 11 or 12x better, at least!

This will probably be your last light anyways... right? You wouldn't want to live with the regret of not having it when you really needed it.

Besides, what's money just sitting there doing for you? You'll get much more use out of the light.

Plus, the clip is made out of the same stuff Wolverine's claws are made out of, so you'll be able to pull a truck out of a ditch if it came down to it.

(just some of the stuff that goes through true flash-a-holics minds to justify yet another light)

Illum

Flashaholic
depends on what your needs are, its not a light for everyone.

If you find it to lack certain traits you desire, theres always BST:twothumbs

JWRitchie76

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't know if the R2 version has an OP, SMO or if both versions are available.

So, depending on what beam profile you look for, I can recommend the PD20, but have a look at the Quark123 before you buy it, available with an XP-G R5 or with an XP-E R2 as well

As far as I know this new version only comes with the OP reflector and from what limited info there is out there on this one I've been told it still throws as well as the older version just with more spill added in. Also this is the same LED as what's in my D10 SP which has a pretty nice beam.

I have checked out the Quarks but I don't really care for the pocket clip on them and the run times don't enthuse me either. Not to mention I would get this PD20 at a REALLY good price brand new! ;)

Oh yeah... you should do it for sure. The new version is like 11 or 12x better, at least!

This will probably be your last light anyways... right? You wouldn't want to live with the regret of not having it when you really needed it.

Besides, what's money just sitting there doing for you? You'll get much more use out of the light.

Plus, the clip is made out of the same stuff Wolverine's claws are made out of, so you'll be able to pull a truck out of a ditch if it came down to it.

(just some of the stuff that goes through true flash-a-holics minds to justify yet another light)

Hint the sarcasm! Yep! This will be my last light........this month! :D

depends on what your needs are, its not a light for everyone.

If you find it to lack certain traits you desire, theres always BST:twothumbs

So true! What I want is a small 1xcr123 light with tons of lumens, really good throw and a clickie switch for operation. Simple UI is a must! I'm not a techie so spending 20 hours trying to learn how to program my light is not an option. Right now my primary EDC lights are the D10 SP and Ex10 R2. I like how a light like the PD20 has a slightly more tactical feel as opposed to the PD drive of the Nitecore lights.

skyfire

Flashlight Enthusiast
of course you dont need it, im sure you have plenty of other lights.

but if you have an itch that bad, go ahead and scatch it, youll feel better:D

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic
Can't you find something newer to spend the money on?
icon10.gif

JWRitchie76

Flashlight Enthusiast
Does the PD20+ not have the new hybrid reflector like the PD30+?

I dunno! I guess I'll find out because I just pulled the trigger. What the hell! Good price = easy resale in the BST forums if it gets no pocket time. :D FWIW I picked this one up off Ebay from seller Fenixflashlight for $52 shipped. Not a huge savings but that's $10-$15 cheaper than anywhere else as far as I can tell.

HIDblue

Enlightened
If you miss your old PD20, just pull the trigger and get the R2 version. The pocket clip is really sturdy and the light stands up to hard use/accidental abuse. I've been pocket carrying mine for a while now and it still keeps on chugging. IMO, I think the single 123 form of the PD20 is perfect for pocket carry while a 2x123 light may be a little cumbersome for pocket carry, unless you wear cargo pants every day.

If you want the same form factor but a forward clickie, check out the Lumapower IncenDio. It also uses 1x123 batt, has a forward clickie, is insanely bright (XP-G R5), but has a horrible pocket clip.

I swap out the PD20 and the IncenDio for pocket carry, but the PD20 is definitely sturdier.