New Flashlight Anxiety

FrankW438

Newly Enlightened
So what do you do to control your anxiety when you are waiting for your new LED flashlight to be delivered?

I am trying to wait patiently for a package from our favorite friend in Enterprise, Alabama. It is driving me nuts, though. I am pretty sure the postman skipped my house on purpose today. I even saw him deliver a small box to my neighbor's house. Did my neighbor get my new flashlight? Is it coming today? Why is the US Postal Service so slow? Why doesn't the USPS tracking number tell me when my package will be delivered? Maybe Gene should offer next-day FedEx delivery. How much would that cost? Why doesn't the mail man just bring me my d@$^ package? WHERE IS MY FLASHLIGHT!?!??!

Uh....

Sorry...

[/rantoff]

-- Frank

SuperTrouper

Enlightened
I don't deal well with waiting for deliveries either. I try to throw myself into other activities to stop me thinking about it but it's never 100% effective.

I dream of a day when I get home and something I'd forgotten I'd ordered had been delivered. As it is it's more like I come home early to see if my new toy has arrived to play with yet!

Ian2381

Enlightened
It made me go nuts waiting for a package.:shakehead

I just kept buying new lights just to make sure something will arrive soon,
mostly delayed but everything's been delivered so far and waiting for other items to arrive.:wave:

Barbarian

Enlightened
It can be tough to have patience. After a purchase today, I am now waiting on 3 custom made lights. :sick:

DimeRazorback

Flashlight Enthusiast
I fail hard at waiting... I am a very patient person, but to me it's like waiting for a drink of water after going for a long hard run. It's needed then and there!

Currently awaiting a few things, including a CQC-8, SF L2... and for the release of the Haiku XP-G :sweat:

camaro09

Enlightened
The answer is to just order something EVERYDAY :thumbsup:. That way after two or three days of waiting you should recieve a package daily. Now you have to be consistant on this because if you skip a day it could be damaging to you. Follow my system and eliminate the pain of waiting on packages.
lovecpf

sigsour

Newly Enlightened
I had two other packages in the mail today and neither one of them was my Ra Clicky...I cant stand it much longer either.

Henk_Lu

Flashlight Enthusiast
Best is order that much that you are constantly waiting for something and that you just don't notice when one or another gets lost...:lolsign:

I have been in that situation for 2 months now, but unfortunately, first I don't forget anything, second Im still waiting for my wifes' christmas present, sent on 9th december in USA, registered priority if the seller did as I wanted him to do.

While I know that USPS had serious problems managing the christmas traffic which seem not to be completely solved up to today, priority parcels shouldn't run into problems.

There's still hope, but Im already thinking about what I should do next and when I should do it. It is a value of about 200$ and I consider that a lot of money to be lost like that. I'm also waiting for a parcel shipped on 6th december normally, but of a value of 14$, I'll simply order that stuff again if it won't show up. Worst is that the seller doesn't find the tracking number... :(

I'm not good at waiting and in my world nothing gets lost. So, my whole world is upside down as long as I'm waiting without any news! :shakehead

DimeRazorback

Flashlight Enthusiast
My CQC-8 and L2 where sent on the 14th of Dec. and there is no news of them :(

I have contacted the sellers... but it isn't 30 days yet :shakehead

bluecrow76

Enlightened
I try to forget I bought anything so it's a surprise when it shows up. Tracking numbers and email updates kind of make that hard though. The hardest part is the day I KNOW it's supposed to show up.

I always ship things to my office and make sure I'm busy as can be the day things are supposed to arrive so I don't get to think about it.

Larbo

Enlightened
Waiting sucks! Whenever possible I use Priority mail or second day air to lesson the pain.

Yucca Patrol

Enlightened
I thought my package from Enterprise, Alabama would arrive today but . . . . no. . . . . .

Gotta be here on Monday though.

John_Galt

Flashlight Enthusiast
I know what you mean... It wasn't bad with my first light, my LD20. My LE Ti Quark AA was slightly worse, but I had a place to continue to gather new information and offset my impatience.

I'm absolutely freaking out over my last purchase. The seller said he shipped them all on Wednesday... Priority... All the other recipients have their purchases, but I don't! I realize I might live further away from him than all the others, but still. I've been keeping an eye out for the mailman... Checking my porch even after i've collected the mail...

And now it's Saturday! I'm going to have to wait a whole nother two days!!! I can't stand it! I'm freaking out!!!

*deep breaths, baby steps, deep breaths, baby steps...*

Echo63

Flashlight Enthusiast
I too hate waiting for stuff to show up.

Normal shipping from the USA to my house takes 10-14 days, the quickest shipping i have had was from lighthound - ordered on thursday night, and it arrived monday afternoon, the package must have just made each connection with no waiting.

over christmas i ordered a few things, and shipping was around 3 weeks for all of it. i got really anxious waiting for it, as i love new gadgets.

i currently have no packages on their way to me at the moment - time to hit the marketplace again :)

FrankW438

Newly Enlightened
Well, thanks for the moral support, gang. Evidently the post man was in stealth mode and evaded my Postal Delivery Alert System (big dog) this afternoon. Alas, no package from Alabama. I think this is the most I've spent at one time on flashlights. MD2, M60W, M30W, and a VME head.

I'm getting the MD2 to try it out at work. I only work until 6PM, so I don't *need* a flashlight outside at work most of the year. Sunset is getting later and later now that we've passed the winter solstice. I only have a month or so left to justify spending that much on a flashlight. After that the coolness-to-geekiness ratio becomes inverted and people give me strange looks when I hunt around for a dark corner just so I can play with my flashlight.

That's not wierd, is it?

-- Frank

Zeroignite

Newly Enlightened
http://www.xkcd.com/281
online_package_tracking.png

the_guy_with_no_name

Flashlight Enthusiast
The best thing you can do to reduce your anxiety whilst waiting for your flashlight to arrive is to order another one that will arrive before it.

For domestic orders, I always use express/overnight shipping.
For international, its always EMS or Fedex.

I have an auto monitoring system that notifies me as soon as the package reaches my post office or distribution center and about 70% of the time I will intercept/collect the package before it gets on the delivery route.

After having ordered enough items, I have a reasonable idea of how long it takes for most of the packages to move through the different points on the shipping route.

The most important part though is having a tracking number so you can verify it has really been shipped.

tgwnn

Coalman

Newly Enlightened
As frustrating as checking tracking, wondering which limited number you scored, etc. is, after each package arrives it just seems like part of the fun.

Latest posts