Flashlight Awards?

yalskey

Enlightened
Anyone know if there are yearly flashlight awards given out? Sort of like Oscars?

If nothing like that exists, I wouldn't mind getting something like that started here on CPF. We could have various categories and nominations and CPFers could vote and we could have the awards presented each year.

Maybe call it the "Flashies" or something equally as stupid .... LOL

This idea just struck me when I was driving home from work one day. It would be a good way too give a pat on the back to flashlight makers (and even dealers) who do a great job in the industry. We could even have a Hall of Light (Fame) for older, classic lights that garnered universal acclaim for their time.

Any who, if nobody is interested then I'll retract the idea.

Empath

Flashaholic
Guncollector used to administer the annual Lummies awards a few years ago.
After reaching a point that involved his time with other matters, he attempted to pass the torch on to someone else. No one agreed to accept the responsibility.

You can find out all about it by running a search for thread titles with the term Lummies.

skyfire

Flashlight Enthusiast
i think CPF should have an official light of the year titles, for different class lights of course, since everybody has their preferences. different battery types, size, etc.

it would be fun.

I started something very unorganized and unofficial and got over 100 votes so far.

I think we could have more if it I knew how to better organize it and categorize it.

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/239751

Funny, you were doing so good I thought it was an annual thing - nice work.

I agree, I would do categories. In ascending importance, just like an awards show. There will be overlap because that is the nature of it. My preference though would be to stay away from battery specific criteria, and focus on the functional criteria, but that's just IMO.

To keep the list manageable you may need to have a panel or the mods come up with the choices, otherwise as you said it will be chaos with 100 different options.

Best battery/charger/other electronics development
Best headlamp
Best looking flashlight (for all those shelf queens)
Best Keychain light
Best EDC
Best flood/daily use light (not sure about this??)
Best Thrower
Best laser
Best custom build/mod
Best spotlight/HID
Best Incan
Best LED
Best Light

And how about some CPF member awards:

Most helpful
Most knowledgeable
Best review
Best torture test (I think the winner of this one is already decided)
Best dealer - small
best dealer - major

Centropolis

Enlightened
I like this idea very much.

Then you'll start seeing these logos that says "Winner of the CPF 2010 Best Flashlight under $50 Award" or "Winner of the CPF 2010 Best AA Flashlight Award" on a dealers' websites next year.