Convert multi-mode to single mode?

Oink

Newly Enlightened
Apologies if this has been posted before. I am not quite sure what to search for and apologies for possible usage of wrong terms.

I have an unreliable 20 mode MTE C3 (Rebel, single AA). It suffers from flickering and half of the time, it wouldn't come on. The flickering stops if I short the circuit by connect the negative end of the battery directly to the body, bypassing the switch which seems to handle all the modes etc. All the contacts are clean and the culprit is either the switch mechanism or the mode-switch. It has a thin wavy copper washer thing next to the spring which puzzles me somewhat.

To make it usage as a flashlight instead of occupying room in my drawer, I wonder if there is a quick way I can just bypass the modes and have a simple switch that turns it on (100% output) and off. I want to sacrifice all the modes in hope of better reliability.

Thanks in advance.

Added:
Is what I want to achieve "direct-driving"? Some people have noted that this flashlight is not compatible with 14500 batteries, if I bypass the mode-driver, the Rebel LED is supposed to be able to handle 3.7v 14500, no?

Last edited:

saltytri

Enlightened
The driver output probably has a negative that goes only to the negative terminal of the LED. Try connecting this driver negative to the battery negative in addition to the existing connection to the LED. At your own risk, of course! :devil:

italianboy

Newly Enlightened
A very small village in the North of Italy
It's the driver that features the modes, the switch is just a normal on/off reverse switch. You can check this by bypassing the switch and using a piece of metal to short the battery negative terminal and the body, as you have done; but this time, try to disconnect the wire from the body and then reconnect it in less than 1 second: the light should change mode (if it has mode memory, do it twice as fast as you can).
It seems like you have a flickering issue caused by bad connection between the switch and the body (or maybe a bad switch). Try cleaning the threads and disassembling and reassembling the tailcap, to check if the switch doesn't make good contact with the metal housing.
If you don't solve the problem this way, you have to buy a new switch.

Oink

Newly Enlightened
Thanks every one, will test it when I have a moment, and will report back.

kosPap

Flashlight Enthusiast
well I have experiece with 3 pieces of....

things are more complicated than italioan boy said....the flashlight is put together with no soldering, only press fitted parts....

so there are 2 issues....

Board contact to the pill
it can relax breaking electircal contact with body/negative

Switch spring Contact.
this spring is not soldered on the board.

Also if the tailcap is screwed too tight the switch assembly is pushed out of contact with the retaining rim...
Wich is glued in place...Once you remove it to fix the other problem you create a new set of tolerance stacking

this is the amin problem with this light...tolerances, further aggravated with the anodized threads....

Oink

Newly Enlightened
...Also if the tailcap is screwed too tight the switch assembly is pushed out of contact with the retaining rim...
Wich is glued in place...Once you remove it to fix the other problem you create a new set of tolerance stacking...

Precisely. I can occassionally solve the light not coming on issue by loosening the tailcap but it is very unpredictable.

So it appears that other people are having similar issues as me with the light. I am pretty much ready to give up on it as a usable light source.

kosPap

Flashlight Enthusiast
indeed...i have 2 waiting complete restructuring..though one is working Okfornow...the switch issue can be solved if you use a "crooked washer"...do notknow howit is called...it crushes in and pushes both ways maintaining electriclacontact...

the otehr issue is solved with removing the ano from the threadsclosetoteh head and jamming a copper ring around the board to solder it on...

moviles

Enlightened
2zho5rt.jpg

Oink

Newly Enlightened
well I have experiece with 3 pieces of....

I totally agree with your comment, this light is utter "....!"

I needed a light quickly this morning, grabbed one in the dark and the MTE failed to even wink. I have since taken out the battery, threw it down to the basement and probably look at it when I have some time. When I retire.

Last edited:

Oink

Newly Enlightened
maybe so....but 2 years ago it was the budget light of the year!

And it was $20 at the time. Ouch, such is progress, I suppose. :) I for one was really sucked in by the hype around it then. I have some other darling flashlights but so far, no reliability issue with them whatsoever... An Akoray K106, another "light of the year" is on its way to me, replacing a lost one.

Thank you everyone. I have printed out the thread