Fenix PD30+ R2 Regulated 17670

bullettproof

Enlightened
Can anyone tell me how the 17670 battery will work in a PD30+ R2. Im not familiar with this battery. Will it be regulated? If not how will the light function non regulated. Thanks for your response.

woodrow

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have this light...and really like it...kept it over my Quark Turbo in fact. It does not like this cell t hough. I have one by AW. Mine only gives me one level Turbo (I cannot remember if it is as bright as 2x123a's) and when I loosen the bezel...the light goes dark. It also fits Very tighly...even with the sticker off. I have to push it out of the tube with the head of the light off.

Still love the light though...just have to use primaries with it.

dudu84

Enlightened
I don't have PD30 but the old P3D model, which I modified with a XR-E R2.
I think the electronics between PD30 and P3D are very similar (only different outputs on Lo and Mid).

On turbo when powered by 1x AW17670, my P3D R2 runs fully regulated for ~65' (measured with DX lux meter) until battery voltage drops to 3.65V (without load voltage). Then the low-battery warning kicked in and I had to switch to lower mode.

However, keep in mind that P3D/PD30 are like many other lights with dedicated buck circuits, run regulated only when the battery's under-load voltage is higher than Vf of the LED. In other words, your PD30+ R2 could run regulated for a long time, or not at all, or anywhere in between :wave:
I'd suggest getting the PD30 XP-G model if you are using only 1x17670 battery.

@Woodrow: Perhaps the battery being to tight is the problem with your torch? My suggestion is that: take out the battery, leave the head loosened and insert the battery, the light might work with loosened modes :)

Nake

Flashlight Enthusiast
@Woodrow: Perhaps the battery being to tight is the problem with your torch? My suggestion is that: take out the battery, leave the head loosened and insert the battery, the light might work with loosened modes :)

That's correct. With the battery being tight in the tube, when you loosen the tube moving it away from the circiut board, the battery goes along with it loosing positive contact.