Need help choosing a flashlight for a particular usage

beren333

Newly Enlightened
Hi, I'm new to the forums and to the world of modern flashlights, and I need advice for a particular usage. I've been lurking for a week or so and have done a lot of searches, and I think I've at least narrowed down the choices, but can use some help now.

Usage: I need a flash that I can put in a pocket and that will still have a long throw. I need it for finding my horses in the pasture. So I need something that will allow me to see if my horses are safe, and standing up, at about 175 yards. So I don't need much definition at that point (it's not like I'm trying to identify them!) I just need to see them; thus the beam doesn't need to light up much area.

Other requirements:
1. I want to be able to carry it for short periods of time in a pocket. Typically I have cargo type/tactical pants or shorts on, so I have deeper pockets, but I don't want a very big head on the flash. I think something under 40 mm would be good.

2. I want the on/off switch to be on the end cap, with a momentary on with a single push. (I need to be able to turn the light on with one hand, wearing gloves, both momentarily and full on)

3.[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]I want to be able to use rechargeables, preferably both 16340s and an 18650.

4. I'd like to be within shouting distance of $100.

I am not too worried about run time; this light is for short use only.

From the forums I've identified the following possibilities:

Jetbeam RRT-2
Olight T20 Tactical
Olight M20
Fenix TK10, TK11, TK12 (I can't really understand the difference between them)

Any thoughts/suggestions as to which of these (or others) will fit the bill?

Separately ( and I do realize this should be in the other forum) can someone quickly let me know if I get the same output throw from one 18650 as I do from two 123s? On the reviews the lumens output seems the same, but is that possible with 3.7 volts vs 6 volts? Put another way, why use 123's instead of 18650s?

Thank you all.

jhc37013

Flashlight Enthusiast
Some lights are better regulated on 18650 and some are better on Cr123 it just depends on the light. If you believe you are gonna use 18650 then look for runtime charts here on CPF for the light and reviews. What if you deplete your 18650 battery and don't have another available well you can throw a set of cr123's in. You can also set a pair in your vehicle for backup, their is plenty reasons why cr123 is a good battery choice.

Looks like you already have a good list of lights their to choose from and from what you say I think you would prefer the smaller light as long as it can get the job done. You should have no problem with any of those lights at 175yrds.

Other lights to consider is the EagleTac T100C2 it's much cheaper then the TK11 but just as good IMO. If you don't mind cr123 only the Eagletac P100C2 and P20C2.

If want to run 18650 I would highly suggest the MG Mini II from shiningbeam.com. You can put the optional turbo head on it for great throw as good as the TK11 and the light is way smaller and more pocket friendly. Ahh so many choices in this light size/output/battery. Good luck

recDNA

Flashaholic
I think the Eagletac T10C2 or T20C2 give you the best bang for the buck. No problem seeing things at that distance. I have an Olight T20 and it is nowhere near as bright as my Eagletacs. I don't have an M20 but I hear they're excellent.

Last edited:

ZRXBILL

Enlightened
The Dereelight DBS has over 20k lux and is a real thrower.
The 3SM version runs on either CR123, RCR123 or 18650 batteries.
Sounds like the perfect light for you.

beren333

Newly Enlightened
I think the Eagletac T10C2 or T20C2 give you the best bang for the buck. No problem seeing things at that distance. I have an Olight T20 and it is nowhere near as bright as my Eagletacs. I don't have an M20 but I hear they're excellent.

oops, I forgot to list the EagleTacs, I had seen them as well. Thanks for the info on the Olight, that is exactly the kind of comparison I needed.

skyfire

Flashlight Enthusiast
i have an olight m20 and would never put it into my pants pocket. my jacket or holster no problem though.

if you want something compact and comfortable in your front pocket, i suggest the quark 123x2 or pd30. in R2 version for better throw.

i perfer the the quark because of the better clip, switch, holster, knurling, warranty. and if you need more throw the quark turbo is designed for that.

tactical version recommended.

skyfire

Flashlight Enthusiast
sorry for posting twice.

but it really seems like you need a thrower.

tiablo A10 or a dereelight dbs should do the job well. using a single 18650 rechargeables, instead of 2 cr123a would be much more effecient for these lights.

also consider the jetbeam m1x, thrunite catapult, or fenix tk30 or tk40. the fenix lights dont throw as much but would definitely be good enough plus more.

jenskh

Enlightened
I agree that you need a thrower. I think you should go for a light that will give you at least 1 lux at your target distance. That means a light that gives at least 25000 lux at 1 m. This also means that as far as I know, none of the lights you have listed in the first post will do the job. The Dereelight DBS (at least with a R2 led) is a quite compact light that will do the job.

jhc37013

Flashlight Enthusiast
Usage: I need a flash that I can put in a pocket and that will still have a long throw. I need it for finding my horses in the pasture. So I need something that will allow me to see if my horses are safe, and standing up, at about 175 yards. So I don't need much definition at that point (it's not like I'm trying to identify them!) I just need to see them; thus the beam doesn't need to light up much area.

The OP says he need 175yrds distance and does not need alot of definition just to be able to see the horses so yes the lights on his list should work just fine. I don't know for sure about the Olight T20 for sure I don't own one.

Last edited:

JaguarDave-in-Oz

Enlightened
if you want something compact and comfortable in your front pocket, i suggest the quark 123x2 or pd30. in R2 version for better throw.

i perfer the the quark because of the better clip, switch, holster, knurling, warranty. and if you need more throw the quark turbo is designed for that.
One of the uses to which I put my torches is exactly as the first poster describes. Checking three horses (and sheep and cows) at a range of about 170 to 180 yards and I too require mine to reside in a pocket.

My Quark AA2 R2 doesn't quite cut the mustard in looking at horses at that range but I'll know in a week or so if the 123-2 R2 or the Turbo R5 does cos they are ordered and I'll be testing them on that task.

My TK20 does it just (though it neutral tint does not seem to help at all with a dark brown horse/cow), my Led Lenser P7 does quite well and my Led Lenser P17 (which ain't fitting no pocket) lights up that range and the next hundred yards too.

beren333

Newly Enlightened
The Dereelight DBS has over 20k lux and is a real thrower.
The 3SM version runs on either CR123, RCR123 or 18650 batteries.
Sounds like the perfect light for you.

I wonder if this model is no longer available? I didn't see it on their site.

beren333

Newly Enlightened
One of the uses to which I put my torches is exactly as the first poster describes. Checking three horses (and sheep and cows) at a range of about 170 to 180 yards and I too require mine to reside in a pocket.

My Quark AA2 R2 doesn't quite cut the mustard in looking at horses at that range but I'll know in a week or so if the 123-2 R2 or the Turbo R5 does cos they are ordered and I'll be testing them on that task.

My TK20 does it just (though it neutral tint does not seem to help at all with a dark brown horse/cow), my Led Lenser P7 does quite well and my Led Lenser P17 (which ain't fitting no pocket) lights up that range and the next hundred yards too.
Sounds like you know exactly what I need! Maybe you could let me know if the Turbo R5 does it?

jenskh

Enlightened
Well I guess our eyes are different. I am more than 50 years old so I probably need more light than younger people. I have done a lot of experimenting on this with both distance measuring and lux measurements. This means I am surprised when people find lights with 6000- 7000 lux @1m adequate for use at 175 yards. These lights will give only about 0,25 lux at that distance. In good conditions and with good contrast between the animals and the background I would be able to see something, and may be (but doubtedly) if the animals are standing or not. Under not so optimal conditions I would see nothing. I would undoubtedly prefer a thrower for use at that distance, but it seems that some people can manage without.:thinking:

JaguarDave-in-Oz

Enlightened
Sounds like you know exactly what I need! Maybe you could let me know if the Turbo R5 does it?
I'm hoping it does cos I want to be able to use the same torch at night as I do in the daytime and the form factor of the Turbo should be good for me to carry daily. I'll post on this thread as soon as it arrives and I've used it on this task.

JaguarDave-in-Oz

Enlightened
Well I guess our eyes are different. I am more than 50 years old so I probably need more light than younger people. I have done a lot of experimenting on this with both distance measuring and lux measurements. This means I am surprised when people find lights with 6000- 7000 lux @1m adequate for use at 175 yards. These lights will give only about 0,25 lux at that distance. In good conditions and with good contrast between the animals and the background I would be able to see something, and may be (but doubtedly) if the animals are standing or not.
I'm over fifty too and like a lot of light but I can still see well at a distance in low light conditions (don't ask me to read in low light though). The thing is, doing these things is a bit of a compromise between what one can carry and how much light one can get for a given size of torch. I'm guessing that the original poster is like me in that checking the animals in the paddocks is just one of a whole bunch of things he has to do out in the yards at night so carrying a big torch is not all that convenient.

Personally, I put about as much faith in short range measured lux readings as I do in the lumens measurements as an indicator of how useable my torches are at a longer range. I've found the only way to know if a given torch will work is to buy it and test it in my personal environment. That's why I now have about twelve LED torches when two month ago I only had three and three is all I want to end up with in the end.

I know that a few of my torches (TK20, P7, P17) will illuminate a horse well enough to see that it's safely standing at up to one hundred and seventy yards because I do illuminate the horses at that range in my top paddock regularly and I know that it is at that range because I actually measured it all out three weeks ago so that I could test my torches since I've been trying to work out which one will be my permanent long term every day carry torch and one of the every day tasks is to illuminate these animals at that range.

Different matter when it comes to positively identifying feral animals amongst them such as foxes and dogs at that range though. With my current standard every day "paddock looking" torch (P7 Led Lenser) I am usually able to see "an animal like a fox or dog" (and sometimes my neighbour's light grey cat) moving about but I do need a much brighter light to positively identify and to shoot them at that range (not the neighbour's fluffy cat). That's not really a problem because I usually have to go back to get the rifle so I can grab the P17 at the same time.

Arnulf

Enlightened
175yrds?
You will need a flashlight with a tight beam....you will need a thrower for spotting horses out in the pasture.....we used those hand held rechargeable spotlights out on my buddies farm for that.

beren333

Newly Enlightened
JaguarDave-in-Oz, you are right, we have almost the exact same need, although I"m a little luckier and I don't need to deal with anything feral since I don't have sheep (although I have the border collie!).
Arnulf, I do have a rechargable spotlight, and it works (although the beam gets so diffuse at that distance it is sometimes hard to see clearly;I too have 50 year old eyes); the problem is that I simply can't carry it and also manage to hold leashes on two dogs, hence me needing something to be able to put in my pocket.
Right now, I only have an old Inova X3 (don't laugh) and if I can't see anything on my late night walk with that, I have to go all the way back to the house, drop off the dogs, get the big flash, etc....not too bad in the summer, but when it is freezing out...

hyperloop

Flashlight Enthusiast
hence me needing something to be able to put in my pocket.

I recall you mentioned cargo pockets, that should be able to handily hold a Jetbeam M1X. It runs off 2x18650s (with extender) or 2x18500 (my configuration) or 3 - 4 RCR123s

Thing is, to throw further you're going to need a larger reflector, an M1X can probably do the job admirably.

The only thing is that its a bit far off your target of $100.00 At $175.00 but if its a long term use, better to get something that can do the job and do it well right?

Another light might be the Led Lenser P14, when focused to a spot, it can throw that distance easily. I own one and have tried it out. This light runs on 4xAAs however. Cannot recall exactly which site i saw it on, but i remember that the price was $99.00. It can fit into the back pocket of my jeans and comes with a nice holster too.