4Sevens Q MiNi AA Review - A Layman's Perspective

AardvarkSagus

Flashlight Enthusiast
4Sevens Q MiNi AA

The Q MiNi AA has once again pushed the limit of exactly how small can a light be and yet still fully encompass the common AA cell powering it. This powerhouse of Lilliputian proportions is the reason I have decided to give up on mentioning the phrase "barely bigger than the cell powering it". Every time I do, something smaller rolls across my desk.

4Sevens Q MiNi AA

Meat and Potatoes

The Q MiNi series utilizes the current (as of this writing) top of the line XP-G LED from industry leader Cree to accentuate the discrepancy between its minuscule size and amazing output. This simple little light cranks out an astounding 90 lumens on high that completely dazzles anyone uninitiated into quality flashlights. Even those experienced with high power LEDs will express surprise that so small a package can produce such results.

4Sevens Q MiNi AA

The larger die size of the XP-G combined with the smaller reflector of this mite sized casing has a (to me) beneficial side effect of creating a wider beam that is well suited for the close up tasks that tend to constitute the majority of EDC needs. That beam is also very well smoothed out by the textured reflector resulting in a nearly artifact free beam with a good spot to spill transition.

4Sevens Q MiNi AA

Aesthetically these lights aren't going to win any beauty contests but that is because their design simply follows the same utilitarian approach as the rest of the light. The MiNi series comes with ample knurling over the majority of the light providing superior grip for both retention and operation of the light. The only non-functional aesthetic design appears to be the engraved 47 logo on the tail of the light that was ironically carved out by photons prior to the anodization process.

4Sevens Q MiNi AA

The simple twist based user interface for the light is an excellent blend of simplicity and options. The basic Low-Med-High levels are well spaced, providing adequate choices of illumination. While lying hidden and out of the way, the 4 signaling modes are still relatively easy to access. The light does unfortunately utilize PWM to regulate its brightness however the very high rate (2.6 khz I believe I read) makes this a non-issue during use.

I have even had the opportunity to test out the Limited edition Titanium variations of these excellent lights. As expected, the technological differences are completely nonexistent since both flavors use identical electronics and tooling. The elitism of the Titanium version comes almost entirely from the highly polished beauty and higher strength of the unique metal. There is a slight drawback that these premium editions seem to have stiffer threading that appears to be an unfortunate staple of Titanium construction.

Constructive Criticism

In all honesty, considering the many lights I have thus far seen and used, this series has been one of the hardest when it comes to filling out this portion of my review. These lights are just so unpretentious that it really makes them a joy to use. They don't try to be anything they are not, they are just small and useful.

The one sticking point I can spot for these really is not a case of "bad as-is" but rather a case of "might this be better?" With the current UI, in the event that you don't want to use the light on the lowest setting you are required to switch it back off and back on in rapid succession before arriving at your desired output. While with only three modes, this isn't much of a problem, I am still struck with the thought of "what if?" In a more ideal scenario I see a modification of the Nitecore EZ user interface. The same three levels cycled by merely tightening the bezel slightly further to increase the output would be excellent. Again, I don't pretend to speak for everyone, this is an opinion based blog.

4Sevens Q MiNi AA

Conclusions

The Q MiNi series is one of the most versatile, inconspicuous EDC style flashlights that I have ever seen. It combines the newest technology with extremely compact size to produce a truly utilitarian work of art. With the option to purchase a premium Titanium variety in all its jeweled splendor, this light gets even better.

4Sevens Q MiNi Series

Provided for the duration of the review by 4Sevens.com

Also Available - 4Sevens Q MiNi 123

LG&M

Enlightened
Very nice review and great pictures. Thanks, Do you have the natural AA? Is it as bright as the XP-G?

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
Nice work, Aard. These are nice lights. Very happy with my QMiNi 123, and might be adding the AA. This will help me decide.

Geoff

swrdply400mrelay

Enlightened
Great review and very nice pictures!

My only real criticism of the Minis is that I wish they had a removable clip like the Titanium Illuminati's.

Zeruel

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice and succinct review. :)
I agree with the UI perspective. I'd prefer one that lets me access to hi and lo quickly instead of cycling through to find it.

goldenlight

Enlightened
Nice and succinct review. :)
I agree with the UI perspective. I'd prefer one that lets me access to hi and lo quickly instead of cycling through to find it.

I agree as well. My guess is that the UI is kept simple, and probably a little less expensive to manufacture, to keep the price at it's frankly amazingly low point.

These lights really do set a new standard for size, performance, and price.

Wonderful pictures in the review; I wish I could afford (or justify) buying a titanium model; for a titanium flashlight, they are, relatively speaking, very fairly priced.

:)>

Flashlight Enthusiast
4Sevens has really been getting it right lately. I think that his Mini's are simply wonderful and I think that they look better than anything in their class to boot.

The Quark AA w/the XP-G is just about perfect. I really am enjoying these lights.

I do wish that the lights employed a memory setting where they could remember the last level that they employed. For the Mini's, just a plain memory would be great; with the Quark AA, I would like it to memorize the setting of the light when the bezel is loosened.

Please do not misread my comments as any reason to not get these lights because they are just plain fantastic!

Well done 4Sevens!

jblackwood

Enlightened
Very nice review and great pictures. Thanks, Do you have the natural AA? Is it as bright as the XP-G?
It's a generally accepted convention that the previous bins are the ones that are used for warm lights, i.e. Q3 in this case. It's also accepted by those who care about tint that their lights will be slightly less bright than the cutting edge lights like the R5.

Not brow beating you, LG&M, just informing. If you wanted just the opinion of someone who has both, you won't get it from me (unfortunately).

PeaceOfMind

Enlightened
Hey thanks for the kind words guys. I'll keep trying to bring you these reviews as long as you like them.

Please do, I enjoyed your reviewing style, and I especially liked your artistic outdoor snow pictures. They were a welcome addition to the more typical review picture style.

I also enjoy the more technical reviews, but this "Layman's" review is a great way to get an overview of a light without having to get bogged down in trying to compare numbers.

LG&M

Enlightened
Thanks for the info. I understand lower bins are used for their warmer tint and aren't as bright.47's never pushes the LED as hard as it could be so I thought he might have pushed the Q3 a little to help make up for the lower bin.
I now have a Mini AA neutral inbound and hope to see it soon.

AardvarkSagus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Please do, I enjoyed your reviewing style, and I especially liked your artistic outdoor snow pictures. They were a welcome addition to the more typical review picture style.

I also enjoy the more technical reviews, but this "Layman's" review is a great way to get an overview of a light without having to get bogged down in trying to compare numbers.
Yep. I'm not trying to replace any of the other reviewers that we all love here on CPF, I'm just trying to supplement them.