FOUND! - looking for firefox add-in that deletes header areas

nfetterly

Flashlight Enthusiast
Had Blue Screen of Death - Registry error - so spent yesterday afternoon reformatting HD & reloading software on my Dell Latitude D820.

In one of the last two updates to CPF one member referenced a great add-in for Firefox that you can use to remove areas of the display - like the header bars that take up so much room on the main page in the marketplace, etc...., I thought it was R.I.P. - icon was a gravestone. Tried a search on CPF, but cannot narrow it down enough. Too many add-ons for firefox to find the damn thing...

Even more frustrating - I had emailed ex-coworker about it and called it RIP - and cannot find it now!!

Suggestions?

Just need to get my wireless working now....

Last edited:

Norm

Retired Administrator
Re: Help - looking for firefox add-in that deletes header areas

In one of the last two updates to CPF one member referenced a great add-in for Firefox that you can use to remove areas of the display - like the header bars that take up so much room on the main page in the marketplace, etc...., .
Just hit F11 to turn headers and footers on and off (full screen mode).
Norm

nfetterly

Flashlight Enthusiast

Just hit F11 to turn headers and footers on and off (full screen mode).
Norm

Not exactly what I was looking for (although that will help!!). The Add-in allows you to remove blocks in the middle - like where the advertisement pops up and other distinct areas.

I've got a high resolution screen - but too much "stuff" at the top - would like to see topic listings without scrolling.

StarHalo

Flashaholic

I use Hide Caption Titlebar to remove the uppermost Windows bar, then use Tiny Menu to reduce the space Firefox uses for its interface. Using both together, you get maximum space (this is a full screen/maximized capture, not a window):

screencap.jpg

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic

That's the one. Lets you remove item(s) from a single page, or all occurrences in entire domain. Right click also outlines in blinking red what you are about to block, and can undo it.

Some of these RIP programs fail to keep working as Firefox updates, so you may have to look and find new versions.

Nuke Anything is not permanent removal.

Last edited:

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
Heads up that Firefox 3.6 breaks it. I do my Firefox updates on a Netbook mainly to see which plugins get broken. No other updated RIP programs, so choose if you want 3.6 or RIP for now.

TooManyGizmos

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks very much for that info. LuxLuthor.

R.I.P. is a must have - so I won't be upgrading to 3.6 , I"ll stay with 3.5.7 for a while.

I'm glad you told me ....... and others.

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
OK, good news. There is now a new version of RIP 1.0.6.7 that works with Firefox 3.6

It is recommended that you download it from this location to get the right version:
BUT

Make sure you back up your existing RIP files before upgrading.

Note: Before installing the latest version backup all your Rips

For this release using this new directory you would need to make a backup of your rips config.xml in your rip extension 'store' directory.

This directory is:

[Your firefox profile Directory]\extensions\{1dbc4a33-ea62-4330-966c-7bdad3455322}\store.

Then install the new RIP instance and use the "Import Rip.." functionality on the preference screen to restore your Rips.

However, my backup folder is located in this folder, and I suspect author has not updated this info.

C:\Documents and Settings\LuxLuthor\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\syxhd1ll.default\rip_store

TooManyGizmos

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanx for that update .... LUX

But I think those long numbered file names are randomly assigned differently in ALL our computers... so trying to find YOUR file name on my computer wont work.

Doing a search for *rip_store* might work.

I found mine and backed it up for when I upgrade ,,, thanks

jch79

**Do Not Feed The Vegan**,
Anyone find a fix for 3.6's STUPID change in how tabs open?

They used to open to the far right, after the last tab... now they open next to the tab you clicked from. Annoying! :pullhair:

:thumbsup: john

EDIT: Found it here.