M1X V4 Requires Spacers for ALL Cells?

LightoftheMoon

Newly Enlightened
I am relatively new to posting here but have been researching lights, chargers and cells for quite some time. I have the Jetbeam M1X V4 and the Pila IBC charger with AW button top cells.

According to this thread: https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/255212 - The M1X V4 requires spacers with the cell extender when used with the flat top AW cells. However, I cannot get my M1X with extender to work with any cells.

I checked the two AW button top cells and they came off the charger with volt readings of 4.17 and 4.19 respectively. Also, these same cells work fine in an Olight M20 torch. They do not work in the M1X V4.

I tried running the M1X with extender on Panasonic primary CR123 cells. Again, no luck but the same CR123 cells work fine in the Olight.

Based on the above, my conclusion is that the M1X V4 with cell extender requires spacers for any and all cells. Is this a design flaw? Why should spacers always be required? Can anyone else verify my findings?

Thank you.

Henk_Lu

Flashlight Enthusiast
Spacers shouldn't be needed...

It sound like yiur ectender somehow doesn't make an electrical contact although I can hardly imagine why. Check it, clean all contact surfaces with alcohol and tighten it hard. :wave:

LightoftheMoon

Newly Enlightened
Henk Lu - Thank you very much!

The alcohol cleaning did the trick. I did notice prior to cleaning that tightening the extender on the M1X had a gritty feel. After the cleaning, no more grittiness and the extender tightens much easier onto the M1X. (I did not know that cleaning the surfaces with alcohol was a recommended procedure.)

The button AW cells and the primary CR123 cells now work fine. Problem solved!

Again, I appreciate your advice!