Help me choose, M20 or RRT-2 Raptor?

Geban

Newly Enlightened
Help me choose one of the two.
What would be your choice, the Olight M20 or JetBeam RRT-2 Raptor?

Please motivate your choice by pros and cons.

I do have the Olight M21, and like it alot, but I want to buy another one and can´t choose between the two.
Help me out here guys. :anyone:

Last edited:

HKJ

Flashaholic
It depends on what you want.
The RRT-2 has the best user interface (IMHO), but the M20 has a larger difference between high and low setting.
The RRT-2 is also more of a thrower than M20.

skyfire

Flashlight Enthusiast
i have a M20 and its great, great runtime, low mode is pretty low, med is about 80 lumens, and then theres max, which i use most the time.

color tint of the m20 is great, alittle on the warm side, except for max, which is white.

i also bought the smooth reflector but i like the op reflector more, the beam is smoother, and more useful in my opinion.

the m20 is cheaper than the RRT2. you can probably get one for about $70

i dont own nor have i used the RRT2, but i seen a video clip comparing the 2 lights, and the RRT2 did throw better.

both lights look awesome.

switching modes with the m20 requires 2 hands. dont know about the jetbeam.

my suggestion would be the RRT2 because you already have a M21, and assuming you dont have other jetbeams. the RRT2 could be your thrower, since the M21 is lacking in that aspect.

Geban

Newly Enlightened
Thanks guys..

I think it leans more towards the RRT-2 Raptor since I´d like more throw.
I bought the M20 a while ago, but never had the chance to try it out before I gave it to my sister. (And she lives ~900 miles away.)

The price difference is of no concern, so I think it´s more the performance and overall feel of the light that will make the choice.
You need both hands for both of the lights to manage the UI, so that doesn´t matter either.

I have read that the RRT-2 has had some electronic problems, and that´s a bit of a worry. Don´t want to buy a light and ship it back the first thing I do.
Anyone knows if those problems are solved by JetBeam yet?

berry580
I have looked at the rewiews, but all the technical data just doesn´t cover the difference in "feel" of the flaslights.
No doubt both flashlights are great, that´s what makes the choice so hard.

Regards,
/Geban

Newly Enlightened
RRT-2.

Incredible looks, build quality, beam profile, throw, run time. Can you tell I just luv mine?

Outdoors Fanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast
The RRT-2 has much better fit and finish and it is undeniably a superior thrower. Not to mention what a great U.I! Olights just feel cheap in my hands, I don't like them at all.

phantom23

Flashlight Enthusiast
Currently RRT-2 is mostly available with OP reflector which throws a little bit less than M20 (but beam is much nicer).

Geban

Newly Enlightened
Currently RRT-2 is mostly available with OP reflector which throws a little bit less than M20 (but beam is much nicer).
Hmm..
Now youré throwing me of, I was under the impression that the RRT-2 was a better thrower no matter what..
Or is it that the M20 is a better thrower with the SMO reflector compared to the RRT-2 with a OP reflector?
What about that hybrid reflector, I thought that all RRT-2 came with that?

Man, I had just started to make up my mind for the RRT-2 cos the better throw. :ohgeez:

Last edited:

gilly

Enlightened
Go with the RRT-2 - you won't regret it. Also, if you already have an M-21, you owe it to yourself to try out a new style light. I have both of these lights, but would choose my RRT-2 if I had to keep only one.

lazaris

Newly Enlightened
Hmm..
Now youré throwing me of, I was under the impression that the RRT-2 was a better thrower no matter what..
Or is it that the M20 is a better thrower with the SMO reflector compared to the RRT-2 with a OP reflector?
What about that hybrid reflector, I thought that all RRT-2 came with that?

Man, I had just started to make up my mind for the RRT-2 cos the better throw. :ohgeez:

According to selfbuilt's test the RRT-2 is the better thrower.

phantom23

Flashlight Enthusiast
According to selfbuilt's test the RRT-2 is the better thrower.

He had RRT-2 with smooth reflector. RRT-2 from first batch had hybrid reflector and good throw. Second batch - smooth reflector and even better throw (~15klux/1m). RRT-2 from third batch (currently available) has OP reflector and about 10klux/1m which is worse than M20 with both smooth (14klux/1m) and OP (11,4klux/1m) reflectors.

Geban

Newly Enlightened
He had RRT-2 with smooth reflector. RRT-2 from first batch had hybrid reflector and good throw. Second batch - smooth reflector and even better throw (~15klux/1m). RRT-2 from third batch (currently available) has OP reflector and about 10klux/1m which is worse than M20 with both smooth (14klux/1m) and OP (11,4klux/1m) reflectors.
Ok, that explains it.
I think I can get the one with hybrid reflector from where I buy my flashlights.
But wat the heck, maby I should get both, just don´t tell my girlfriend.. :naughty:

berry580

Flashlight Enthusiast
berry580
I have looked at the rewiews, but all the technical data just doesn´t cover the difference in "feel" of the flaslights.
No doubt both flashlights are great, that´s what makes the choice so hard.

Regards,
/Geban
Not 100% sure about the regular aluminium version of these lights. But I've had titanium versions of both lights before, TC-R3 (RRT-2 Ti) is definitely better in terms of overall feel. You can feel the quality of the light with its control ring, while the on-off switch mode mechanism of the M20 IMO made it feel cheap although it could be an advantage to some people. But no, TC-R3 isn't a 2 hand operation light, i can single handledly switch across 3 modes/levels easily in one motion, and i have relatively small hands.

Built/machining quality, the TC-R3 is excellent, while the M20 Ti that i had, the threads grinds despite repeatedly cleaning and re-lubing it. According to some CPF members I recall some of them claiming Olight apparently does occasionally have some machining issues.

Last edited: