NEXTORCH - 300 m long-shot E6        

Thread: keychain size flashlight with an unfocused aspheric, would this be possible?

Default keychain size flashlight with an unfocused aspheric, would this be possible?

Right now one of my favorite lights for close to mid range use is the romisen rc-29, I just love the light it puts out when set to flood. I don't believe any keychain sized light exists with an aspheric, but would this even be possible or practical? Or would the space required for the optics just make it too large? I wouldn't need it to be able to zoom, just be set to flood at all times.

I guess something more like a zebralight with no reflect at all would make more sense, but I think an aspheric would be cooler, both because I like the output of an aspheric and because I don't like having an unprotected emitter.

Flashaholic*

Default Re: keychain size flashlight with an unfocused aspheric, would this be possible?

It's my understanding that the Zebralight floodlights do have a lens over the emitter to assist in shaping the beam.

But I've never seen one in person, so please don't assume I know what I'm talking about.

--flatline

Default Re: keychain size flashlight with an unfocused aspheric, would this be possible?

In a word. Yes.
    The question is, is this diffused enough?

Or is this?

The second one looks great! What is it?

I mean the first one is nice too, but I was thinking of something more like the second one.
    Last edited by sol-leks; 01-12-2010 at 12:32 AM.

That is a custom LF2XT with an unfocused aspherical lens.

Very cool, what kind of emitter is in it?
    I don't think I can afford a custom light at this moment in my life, but maybe some day.....
    Out of curiosity, whats the first one?

Quote Originally Posted by sol-leks View Post
    Very cool, what kind of emitter is in it?
    I don't think I can afford a custom light at this moment in my life, but maybe some day.....
    Out of curiosity, whats the first one?
    The aspheric on the bottom is an xp-e. The light on top is also a custom LF2XT. But that one is running an xp-g with a smooth beam TIR.

Sorry for my ignorance, what is a smooth beam TIR?
    (I assume the R is for reflector?)

Flashaholic

Quote Originally Posted by sol-leks View Post
    Sorry for my ignorance, what is a smooth beam TIR?
    (I assume the R is for reflector?)
    In this context, probably "Total Internal Reflection"
    EDCs: Quark AA Tactical w/ XM-L, Foursevens Mini ML-X
    Backpack: Quark 123˛ Turbo X

Total internal refraction is right. Smooth beam just means the hotspot and the spill blend together without sharply defined borders or boundries.

I tried using the search to track down that custom aspheric lf2xt, but couldn't find anything about it? Care to point the way?

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...&postcount=424

The shorty is the one. There is also one or two aluminum version prototypes floating around.

I'll have to do some digging. I think I'd prefer aluminum though. Looks like exactly what I was thinking of though, thanks!

Flashaholic

Hi,
    I'd like a keychain sized light too. The only one I've seen so far is this one http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.26338
    I havent bought it because I'd prefer a better quality, brighter aaa light. So far I've had the RC-29, X2000 (upgraded to R2), C30 and C78. I really like the flood on these but want one that's less bulky.
    I'd be interested if you find one

Paul.

I have many mini unfocused aspheric flashlights

The right most flashlight is what Paul Baldwin mentioned.
    All other flashlights are based on AAA.
    Counting from the right most flashlight, the second one is the AAA version of said button cell version.
    Third and fourth ones were modded from original LF2X and LF2.
    Fifth one is LF2XT Titanium aspheric version.
    Sixth one was modded from VERSATI ET10.

Wow, very cool!