Klarus        

Thread: Zebralight 501 on NiZn and a question for owners...

Default Zebralight 501 on NiZn and a question for owners...

(I had this posted under the Bats/Elec. forum but figured it may be of interest to you H501 owners)

Hi guys,

I just got the new PowerGenix NiZn and am quite happy with them. They make a noticeable difference in the light output (since 14500's offer no performance gains as the H501 can't take advantage of them) and may be an option for you folks looking to manufacture every last ounce of light:
    http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...4&postcount=14

I'm really loving the light and it's been the most useful in terms of daily repairs/chores around the house. The only thing I've noticed is this weird totally random flicker every once a while when I'm handling the light. I haven't been able to reproduce consistently but basically I'm thinking that the touch switch is so sensitive that when I tap or bump the light it triggers a brief flash. Have any other owners noticed this on their H501's?

EDIT: Props to IlluminationGear for the excellent packaging and quick shipping! Thx!

Cheers,
    Tim
    Last edited by turboBB; 01-11-2010 at 09:22 PM.

Default Re: Zebralight 501 on NiZn and a question for owners...

where's a good place to buy those suckers?!
    thanks!

NM - i just got 4 w the charger from Amzn
    hope they might boost my output a smidge!
    thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by psychbeat View Post
    where's a good place to buy those suckers?!
    thanks!
    EDIT: Ooops, just saw your reply. Yes, I got them off of Amazon. You will definitely see a difference. I haven't conducted run time or self-discharge tests but will try to get to it over the weekend.

Also, there's a running thread on NiZn under the Baty/Elec. forum:
    http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...d.php?t=256189

Cheers,
    Tim
    Last edited by turboBB; 01-11-2010 at 09:21 PM.

Enlightened

I have not noticed any random flickering on my 501w.

Do you know for sure that the 501 puts out more light with NiZn's? That would imply that it also puts out more light on Lithium primaries, and I was under the impression that is not the case.

Oh, and does the light get warm on high with NiZn's like it does with NiMH's?

Quote Originally Posted by liketotallyrandom View Post
    Do you know for sure that the 501 puts out more light with NiZn's? That would imply that it also puts out more light on Lithium primaries, and I was under the impression that is not the case.

Oh, and does the light get warm on high with NiZn's like it does with NiMH's?
    Affirmitive on the light output, please refer to my pics in the link above. Although subtle in the pics, it's definitely noticeable in person. I believe the 501's had an issue recognizing Li-Ion's, I can't recall the exact thread but I think it was under the Zebralight is coming out w/new lights thread where it was briefly discussed.

The light gets slightly warm just like w/NiMh so no difference there.

I'll try to take some different pics later this week to show the differences in light output between NiMh and NiZn.

Cheers,
    Tim
    Last edited by turboBB; 01-12-2010 at 01:17 AM.

Enlightened

OK. Yeah, I do see a slight difference in the pics.

I actually mostly use 14500 lithium-ions in my 501w. For caving, the 32 lumens for 5 hours output on high is actually better than either the 15 (too dim) or 80 (only 2 hours) lumens that NiMH produces, so I actually LIKE how it uses 14500's To each their own, though. I was actually wondering how lithium PRIMARIES (not rechargeables) work out with the 501, since they have a higher voltage than alky's or NiMH's. I was thinking that something like an Energizer Ultimate Lithium AA might produce results similar to the NiZn's, but that's just speculation.